[NFBNJ] {Spam?} Notes From The President Of The NFBNJ September 2016

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 19 00:32:25 UTC 2016

Notes From The President Of The NFBNJ September 2016

Greetings to all on our announcement list!
I have provided several items of interest for your reading and sharing with
others.
With the notes from the NFBNJ President for September, 2016, we only have
less than two months until the 40th state convention, Raising Expectations
to be held at the Holiday Inn, 151 Route 72 East, Manahawkin.
Hotel rooms are going fast and therefore, please make your room reservations
directly with the hotel in Manahawkin.
The dates are Thursday, November 10 through November 13.
Please call 1 609 481 6100 and use code, NFB.
Room rates are $89 per night, plus tax.
This includes breakfast for each registered person in the room.
See you in Manahawkin!
Note: The pre registration form is completed, we have forwarded to all on
the announcement list, have posted on the state website, provide on Newsline
and forward to chapter/division  presidents for distribution to their lists.
I have provided an open letter for all to consider with the goal to obtain
items for door prizes and for the annual auction.
The letter is the final item for this email message.

Promotion is the KEY!
254 Spruce Street
Bloomfield, New Jersey  07003
973 743 0075
Nfbn1 at verizon.net
Items of Interest:
1.    Request to our crafters
2.    KNFB Scanning Stand
3.    Text 911 When You Can
4.    Advocacy, Uber Class Settlement
5.    Contributor Page On Our State Website
6.    Letter Of Request For Donations And Auction Items

Crafters, please take special note.
During the state convention to celebrate Raising Expectations, the board
decided to ask our members  to consider the following.
1.    Provide a homemade piece of craft for display at the state convention
for example, ceramics, pottery, paintings , professional
photographs,woodmaking, knitting, etc.
The piece would need a description in Braille and print, hopefully on the
same  paper
We are hoping that you will donate the piece and that we will use as an
auction item.
Any questions, contact Joe Ruffalo at nfbnj1 at verizon.net or call, 973 743
0075.

**

Fopydo KNFB Reader Scanning Stand
The newest item available from the Independence Market is the Fopydo KNFB
Reader Scanning Stand. This is a very handy accessory for anyone who uses
the KNFB Reader app on a smartphone. For those who don't know, the KNFB
Reader app allows the user to take a photo of printed text and have it
converted to speech output in a fraction of a second. If one plans to scan
multiple pages in one reading session or has trouble holding the phone
steady, a scanning stand becomes very helpful, as one can rest the device on
the stand. The lightweight Fopydo KNFB Reader Scanning Stand is very
portable and easy to assemble. Its 11 inch height is ideal for reading 8.5 x
11 inch documents, but the height can be adjusted to accommodate the
scanning of larger format items. The stand is made of corrugated plastic
with fold-out metal legs that can be extended to vary the height. The shelf
features a notch to make it easy to line up the device camera and a sticky
strip to keep the device from sliding. The shelf is even sturdy enough to
accommodate an iPad Mini. When collapsed, the stand measures 11.75 x 9.5 x
0.25 inches. The Fopydo KNFB Reader Scanning Stand costs $12.00 plus
shipping and handling.

Please contact us for more information about products and literature
available through the Independence Market or to request a catalog in print
or in Braille. Our catalog and product information is also available online.
You can reach us via email or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216.
Our Independence Market staff will be glad to assist you.

**

Received from Alice Eaddy, President of the Deaf-Blind Division.
Subject: Text To 9-1-1: Call When You Can, Text When You Can't
Please share with others.

https://youtu.be/2Pu1wT1WuWk

***

Advocacy
Uber Class Notice
In order to prevent discrimination against service animal users by Uber
drivers, the NFB has proposed a class action settlement that would, among
other things, require Uber to provide additional training to its drivers,
require Uber drivers to acknowledge their responsibility to transport riders
with service animals, and require Uber to terminate drivers that refuse to
transport riders with service animals. View the full notice on the NFB
website; this affects your rights as a class member using Uber with a
service animal.

An additional summary of the comprehensive settlement terms from the
attorneys for the class can be found on the TRE Legal website.

**
Please visit the state website at
www.nfbnj.org

Contribution Opportunities
General Contributions
The National Federation of the Blind of NJ operates on a 100% volunteer
basis.  ALL of your donation goes toward supporting our programs for
•    State scholarship program
•    Braille Enrichment through Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy
•    Education and outreach to the community
•    Blind children and youth
•    Newly blinded individuals and their family members
•    Senior blind
•    Blind Veterans
•    and so much more
You can support the work of the organization by making your tax-deductible
check out to NFB of NJ and mailing it to:
NFB of NJ
254 Spruce St.
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Matching Funds
To all our members, family and friends, please consider checking with your
employer to discuss the possibility of matching funds. Through the matching
fund program, your contribution will be matched by your employer. Please
discuss this opportunity with your Human Resources and/or your Payroll
Department. If you need additional information, please contact Joe Ruffalo,
affiliate President, at nfbnj1 at verizon.net or 973-743-0075, or Brian Mackey,
affiliate Treasurer, at bmackey88 at gmail.com or 609-953-6988.
Amazon Smile Program
AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon.com. It lets patrons shop for
products and donate to their favorite charitable organization. Amazon.com
donates 0.5% of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the
charitable organizations, like the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey (NFBNJ), selected by its customers. To have your Amazon Smile
purchases go to the NFBNJ, please visit
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/22-2716500. To learn more about the Amazon Smile
program, please visit www.smile.amazon.com.
Leaving A Legacy
JACOBUS TENBROEK LEGACY SOCIETY
Help build a future full of opportunity for the blind by becoming a member
of the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society. Your legacy gift to the National
Federation of the Blind can be made in the form of a will or a living trust,
an income-generating gift, or by naming the NFB as a beneficiary of a
retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can also become a member of
the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society by making a legacy gift to your state
affiliate. By committing to support an NFB affiliate, your gift will benefit
both local and national programs, since all bequests made to affiliates are
split evenly with the NFB national treasury. In addition to having the
satisfaction of contributing to the future success of the NFB’s mission,
tenBroek Legacy Society members also receive a specially designed thank you
gift and other benefits. For additional information, please contact the NFB
Jernigan Institute by email at outreach at nfb.org or by telephone at
410-659-9314 x2371. You can also visit the NFB’s Planned Giving page at
www.nfb.org/planned-giving.
PAC Plan
The Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan is a national program where
individuals or organizations can pre-approve a certain amount of funds to be
transferred from their bank account into the National Federation of the
Blind’s general account. The minimum amount is $5 a month and there is no
limit.
The PAC Plan helps with:
•    Distributing free literature
•    Funding the Free White Cane program
•    Funding the Free Slate and Stylus program
•    Funding legal battles
•    Assisting national scholarship programs
•    Funding the Braille Enrichment through Literacy and Learning (BELL)
Academy program
•    Providing free web hosting for NFBNet
Please download the PAC Plan form to create or increase your monthly PAC
contributions. If you have any questions, contact NJ PAC Plan coordinator
Brian Mackey at 609-953-6988 or bmackey88 at gmail.com.
Please watch the below PAC Plan video for additional details on the PAC
Plan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIKwllNJAoQ
GreenDrop
The National Federation of the Blind has teamed up with GreenDrop to collect
donations of clothing and household items. People living in Connecticut, New
York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, DC, and Virginia can
donate unwanted items through drop-off locations or by calling for a pick-up
from their home or business. The funds raised from this program go to the
National Federation of the Blind general fund to support programs for blind
STEM students, veterans, and seniors, as well as the ongoing efforts to
improve equality for the blind.
Please mark all bags and or boxes with NFB in order for the NFB to receive
credit for the donations. The entire listing of accepted items can be found
on the GreenDrop website, www.nfbpickup.org. GreenDrop accepts new or gently
used items including:
•    Clothing & Shoes
•    Household Items
•    Kitchenware
•    Games/Toys
•    Small Appliances
•    Electronics
•    Sporting Goods
•    Books, CDs & Videos
•    Baby Items
To schedule a pickup, dial 1-888-944-DROP (3767) or visit www.nfbpickup.org.
If you have any questions, you can contact the NJ GreenDrop coordinator
Linda DeBerardinis at 856-735-5559 or ljdeber3 at comcast.net. You can also
direct your questions to the NFB GreenDrop coordinator Bridget Burke at
410-659-9314 x2271 or GreenDrop at nfb.org.
GreenDrop locations
You can drop off your GreenDrop donations at one of the following locations:
SPRINGFIELD

The town officials, GreenDrop administrators, Michael Herman (Governor
Livingston High School senior), and Joe Ruffalo (President of the National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey) are proud to cut the ribbon at the
GreenDrop Grand Opening in Springfield. Michael is coordinating with his
school to collect items to be donated to GreenDrop for credit to the NFB in
October 2016.
831 South Springfield Ave
Springfield, NJ 07081
METUCHEN
359 Amboy Ave
Metuchen, NJ 08840
CHERRY HILL MAPLE
1060 Maple Ave.
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
Vehicle Donations
The National Federation of the Blind is continuing to partner with Vehicles
for Charity on a vehicle donation program. The NFB’s vehicle donation
program accepts almost any vehicle, including cars, trucks, boats,
motorcycles, and recreational vehicles. All donations may be eligible for a
tax deduction on the donor’s federal income tax return, and the NFB receives
an average of $360 for each donated vehicle. We need your help for this
program to succeed. You can visit the Vehicle Donation Material webpage
where you will find ideas on how to share this program with potential
donors. Remember, our main job is to let the public know about this vehicle
donation program. To help with this mission, you will find flyers, mail
inserts, and press releases that can be printed to share with businesses and
local media, and you can order materials to be shipped to you. You can also
add HTML or a link to the national office donation page to your state and
local chapter websites.
Ideas on how to use these materials are included on the website. We also
have public service announcements about this program playing on radio
stations around the country and available for you to listen to on the
website. Contact your local radio stations and provide them with the
following link where they can download these PSAs:
http://digitalnewsrelease.com/?q=NFB_RadioPSAs.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact the NJ
Vehicle Donations coordinator Anthony Lanzilotti at 267-414-4010 or
tti777 at gmail.com. You can also contact the NFB Vehicle Donations coordinator
Bridget Burke at 410-659-9314 x2271 or bburke at nfb.org. To donate a vehicle
or to learn more, please dial 1-855-659-9314 or visit
www.carshelpingtheblind.org.
Tax Deductible Contributions
Contributions to the GreenDrop program, Vehicle Donation program, and the
Pre Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan are tax deductible. All checks
received as contributions to the NFBNJ are also tax deductible.

**

By obtaining door prizes and auction items, it  will add to the excitement
of the state convention, Raising Expectations.
Bring the letter to your local grocery and retail stores, your bank,
friends/family, local bakeries, Duncan Donuts,etc..

I have provided below and have attached for your convenience.
The letter is on the new letterhead.

September 18, 2016

Dear Friend:

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey will be hosting its 40th
Annual State Convention, “Live the Life You Want,” November 10 - 13, 2015,
at the Holiday Inn in Manahawkin, NJ. We’re looking for items to use for
door prizes and fund-raisers at the event. Can you help us out?

As you may know, the National Federation of the Blind is a non-profit,
private sector resource of knowledge, support and encouragement for people
who are blind (Federal 501(c)(3) ID #22-2716500). We offer training and
advocacy to blind people and parents of blind children, and work to remove
legal, economic and societal barriers so that blind people can participate
fully in employment, education, recreation and all other aspects of
community life. Our annual convention is one way we work toward achieving
these goals.

Hundreds of blind people, parents of blind children, service providers,
technology producers/distributors, inventors of products designed to enhance
accessibility and independence, and representatives from rehabilitation
services, agencies, private agencies for the blind and the New Jersey
Talking Book and Braille Center attend our annual convention. At our
convention, we also award scholarships to deserving young blind scholars.

Door prizes and surprises make this event even more exciting. Because we are
financed only by contributions from our members, friends and well-wishers,
we hope you’ll be able to help us out with a gift we can use as a door prize
or fund-raiser item. Your tax deductible contribution/s (checks should be
made payable to National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey) can be
mailed to the NFBNJ at the address below or, if more convenient, call or
e-mail us and we’ll arrange for the item to be picked up.

We’ll look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Sincerely,

    Joseph Ruffalo
    President, NFBNJ