[NFBNJ] Open Competitive Civil Service Job Opportunities

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 27 15:07:10 UTC 2016

    Brian, state webmaster, will post on the state website at
www.nfbnj.org

    Greetings and thanks Pam for the following notice.
To all, take a look and move out of your comfort zone and review the following opportunities.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Open Competitive Civil Service Job Opportunities

Currently there are 85 open competitive job opportunities listed on the NJ Civil Service Commission web site. There is a fee to apply. After your application is evaluated, in some cases you will be scheduled to take a test. However, in some cases the state may opt to rank you on the basis of your application only. That makes it very important that you document all of your pertinent work experience for any position for which you apply. Read the job descriptions and the eligibility requirements carefully.

After you apply and/or take the test, if you are ranked in the top three, they have to interview you for the position, also, they cannot select anyone ranked lower than the top three without offering you the job.

Usually the list will last for at least 2 years. This means if any additional openings occur for that position, in the scope listed, you will again have an opportunity to compete for a position.

Any entry level position is of merit in state service so, do not be deterred if the salary for the position is lower than your preference. Once you have one year of permanent status in any state government position, you become eligible for a variety of promotional opportunities and classified positions that are not open to individuals who are not state employees.

Additional benefits of employment in the public sector: After 11 consecutive years of service, you will be eligible for a pension upon your retirement; after you pass your probationary period of approximately 3 months you will have health benefits for you, your legal spouse, and your children (who will be covered up until age 26); you will receive 3 administrative leave days, 12 sick days, and 10 vacation days during your first year (your earned leave increases at 5 year intervals until you reach 15 sick and  25 vacation days  per year); you have to use your administrative leave or lose it each year, we are also encouraged to use our vacation time, but we can carry a certain number of days over to the next year with supervisory approval, but, you can save your sick time as long as you want and when you retire, you will receive a lump sum check for a limited number of those days (you can donate the extra days to other state workers); we also get approximately 12 paid holidays each year – another perk – if you are in a position in which you are entitled to overtime (such as clerical or administrative support, etc.) I know people who have used their overtime money earned during one year to pay cash for  new cars, made down payments on homes, went on luxurious vacations, etc.

Whether you are working or not, I encourage you to consider the option of working in the public sector. I also encourage you to use the link below to check the open competitive job opportunities at least twice a month. Please also share this link with anyone you know who is seeking employment (especially recent or soon-to-be college grads).

http://info.csc.state.nj.us/Vats/JobView.aspx

Peace,

Pam

Pamela L. Gaston

Executive Assistant 3

NJ State Department of Human Services

Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired

P.O. Box 47017

Newark, NJ 07101-47017

973-648-6149 – Office

973-900-2564 – Cell

973-648-2043 – Fax

Visit us on the web at: www.cbvi.nj.gov

“From the start, I made my learning, what little there was, as useful as I could, in every way that I could.” – Mary McLeod Bethune