[NFBNJ] Congratulations Alyssa Shock National Federation Scholarship Recipient For 2017

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed May 3 18:11:58 UTC 2017

    Greetings to all!

GREAT NEWS!
The national scholarship committee met last week at the National Federation
of the Blind in Baltimore, Maryland.
I received a call from a committee member informing me that Alyssa Shock is
one of the thirty members of the class of 2017.
With over 600 applications to review, being one of the thirty is
outstanding!
I have provided a brief summary of Alyssa's interests, goals and leadership
skills.
Congratulations, Alyssa!
nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***

Alyssa Shock is a psychology major at Fairleigh Dickinson University. At
FDU, she is a member of the Honors’ Program, and she does a 1 hour radio
show every week on one of the HD channels at the radio station. Outside of
FDU, she volunteers for a Sexual Violence Resource Center. She has also just
received an internship working with children, and is looking forward to
starting this new adventure. This is extremely relevant to her career goals
as she plans to have a career working with children in her future.
Outside of FDU, Alyssa Shock is also a member of the Northeast chapter of
the National Federation of the Blind. She has been a member of this
organization since high school, and has enjoyed her experiences with them.
Alyssa was a member in the Leadership Education Advocacy Determination,
LEAD, program for high school students with vision loss.  LEAD allowed her
to meet many great people, learn new things, and make memories which will
last a lifetime.
When not studying or taking part in other extra-curricular activities,
Alyssa enjoys spending her free time reading, socializing with family and
friends, and listening to music. She also enjoys skydiving, and other
thrill-seeking activities.

Congratulations Alyssa!
The following joke proves that Alyssa was a student in the LEAD program with
Jerilyn and me.

Alyssa has forwarded the following.
She has a corny joke you might appreciate.
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?
Hailing taxis
My student learns well!