[NFBNJ] Two Opportunities Trenton Thunder And Surfing Experience Please Join Us!

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu May 25 02:15:36 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
Please review and share the following two activity opportunities; Trenton
Thunder baseball game on Sunday, June 11 and Surfing Experience scheduled
for Saturday, August 12.
In addition, new information located on the state website highlighting
photos and videos featuring members involved with sports and recreation.
Get involved and make a difference!
Reprinted from Monthly Notes For May From President Ruffalo, NFBNJ

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
****
Capitol Chapter Fundraiser Needs Your Support
Sunday Afternoon at the Ballpark

Are you looking forward to the summer?  Would you like to share one day
during this season of nice weather with friends and family and people you
may not have seen for a long time?  Do you like live baseball?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions, you may be interested in
attending a Trenton Thunder baseball game, the Double A affiliate of the New
York Yankees, on Sunday, June 11.  The first pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm,
however prior to the first pitch, pre-game ceremonies will honor NFBNJ
Capitol Chapter member, Don Wardlow.  He broadcasted baseball, football and
basketball on WGLS, the college radio station at Rowan University in
Glassboro. From 1991-2002 Don became the first blind radio broadcaster in
pro baseball. There is now a second who may not have been hired without the
work Don did earlier on.
Finally Don has written a baseball blog and is working on his autobiography,
targeting blind readers and hoping they enjoy his story. Don will throw out
the first pitch.
In addition, all members of the NFBNJ will have the opportunity to line up
on the first base line to cheer Don as he delivers the ceremonial first
pitch.  Upon completion of the game, all children under 12, will run the
bases.
The Capitol Chapter is sponsoring this event.  Tickets are $11.00 per
person.

The action on the field should be interesting.   In addition to seeing the
game, you can buy souvenirs at the Thunder Store, eat good food, including
chicken and roast beef sandwiches for those of us who are watching their
weight and have a good time.
The stadium is located at Arm and Hammer Park and the address is 1 Thunder
Road, Trenton, New Jersey.  The location is Access Link-accessible and the
cross street is Lamberton Street.
Please note that we will not be receiving the tickets until May 22, However,
we are taking orders and payment for tickets now.   If you have any
questions about the procedures which must be followed, please contact Mary
Jo Partyka at 609 888-5459 or by email at choirnfb at gmail.com.  Please send
all  ticket orders and money to John Lipton whose address is 2 Forman Drive,
Hamilton Township, NJ  08690.  Make checks payable to NFBNJ Capital Chapter
and put the word “baseball” in the memo field of the check.  All requests
and payment must be received no later than Monday, June 5, 2017. Since the
tickets will be mailed back to you, please include your address and the
names of the people in your party who will be attending.  Tickets will not
be sent if payment is not received.

I hope you will consider joining us on June 11.

****

Surfing For Vision Updates:
Music concert just got added!
We just got great news regarding Surfing for Vision. The city of Long Branch
has decided to sponsor the event. What does this mean? Two parking lots up
by the beach that will be put aside for us that day. It also means that we
have the park across the street which has seating and a stage and we have
added a music concert from 1pm to 4pm at the jersey shore for everyone to
have a great day at the beach. They are also including wave running rides
for more attendees in addition to the register surfers.

This fun is growing for this event and now if you haven’t registered to surf
yet get you name on the waiting list as we expect that some who registered
as early as January may not make it so there is still opportunity you may
get out on a board but you are assured that you will get to zoom along on a
wave runner feeling the wind smelling the sea air tasting the salt as you
get spray hitting your face.

do not hesitate to register, regardless put this on your calendar and come
enjoy a fun filled day.    Sponsorship tables will be available for this
event if interested. The NFB will be given a space at no cost for this
event.

surfingforvision.org

Sincerely,
Michael Benson
Founder
VISUAL EXPERIENCE FOUNDATION
Po Box 346 Spring Lake
e, NJ 07762
Tele:732-616-3304
Email : michael at lovevision.org
Web: www.visualexperiencefoundation.org
Facebook/visualexperiencefoundation
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/visual-experience-foundation-takes-man-losing-vision-grand-29815832

****

Please share the two links with others as the Sports and Recreation
Committee have established  two pages, events and photographs,  for all to
enjoy.

I know of members that skydive, rock climb, enjoy white water rafting, golf,
bowl, square dance, ballroom dancing, etc.

Received from Linda Melendez, Chair of the Sports and Recreation Committee.
Great news!

The Sports & Recreation Committee has established two new pages on the
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey website
“http://www.nfbnj.org/”.  They are the last two links on the main menu
before Joseph Ruffalo's contact information.  I have added both links at the
end of this email after the line of ****.

The first page is dedicated to inform everyone of upcoming National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Sports & Recreational Committee
activities. The second page is dedicated for photos and videos of National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Sports & Recreational  Committee
activities.

Please feel free to submit any activities and/or photos to me directly for
review and consideration to be posted on the National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey Sports & Recreational Committee pages.  When submitting
actives please give all details such as date, time, place, type of event,
contact person for this event, key points as well as the link if available
for the event. All photos submitted must have a detailed description of the
picture and all videos must clearly state what is happening in the video.
In addition, all pictures and videos must have the names of everyone in the
picture/video, your affiliation with the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey and a brief written description.

I would like to acknowledge and give a special thank you to Brian Mackey for
doing an outstanding job on creating the Sports & Recreational pages.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Linda Melendez
Chair Sports and Recreation Committee
732 421 7063
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
The sky is the limit and you are stronger than you think you are.  Let’s
come out of our comfort zone and become participants in our lives.  Let’s do
the sports and recreational activities we desire.  I am looking forward to a
new beginning of raising expectations and living the lives we want.  We Got
This!

Sports & Recreational Activities
www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreational-activities

Sports & Recreational Photos