[NFBNJ] Updated Home page

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 29 23:43:35 UTC 2017

    Greetings to all!
Brian Mackey, webmaster, has updated the home page  for the state website.
Please read and share.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness does not hold us back. Together with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into reality.
Since 1976, the National Federation of the Blind of NJ has been helping members live the lives they want! With our chapters, divisions, committees, programs, and projects, the NFB of NJ is making the public aware that the real problem concerning blindness is not blindness itself but the lack of knowledge, understanding, and opportunity from our sighted peers. Get involved in the largest organization of the blind in the nation and in the state. Get involved in the NFB of NJ and help us live the lives we want!
Please download the NFBNJ contact listing

Connect with us on Social media!
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238/
Twitter: NFBNewJersey
YouTube: NFBNJTransformDreams

What is the NFB?
The National Federation of the Blind is an organization of blind and interested sighted people whose purpose is to promote equal opportunity for the blind. Founded in 1940, the Federation has affiliates in every state, Puerto Rico, Washington DC and includes more than 50,000 of the nation’s blind. Dedicated to the complete integration of the blind into society, the Federation works toward the removal of legal, economic, and societal barriers to full participation by blind people in employment, education, recreation, and all other aspects of community life. The Federation is working to end discrimination by educating the public to new concepts about blindness and the abilities of blind people, offering training and advocacy to blind people and to parents of blind children, and providing job referrals and placements. The Federation helps the newly blinded to learn the techniques that will enable them to maintain productive lives and informs them of services available from governmental and private agencies and of the laws and regulations concerning the blind.

The National Federation of the Blind is an organization of the blind speaking for ourselves. Please visit www.nfb.org to learn more on:

·         About the NFB

·         Info on Blindness for …

·         Members

·         Resources

·         Products & Technology

·         Publications

·         Vehicle Donations program

·         Free White Cane program

·         Joining the NFB

·         Making A Donation

NFB-NEWSLINE®
NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service offering access to newspapers available to anyone who is blind, visually impaired or print-disabled. It offers over 400 publications to choose from, including 12 national newspapers like the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, 20 breaking news sources such as CNN, BBC and ESPN Online, 17 international newspapers including Financial Times and Vancouver Sun, and countless state newspapers, as well as over 50 magazines like Family Circle, Time, Smithsonian and more.

NFB-NEWSLINE® also has TV Listings so you can keep track of your favorite shows.

Job listings with NFB-NEWSLINE® are another important resource for subscribers. Job listings for NFB-NEWSLINE® are provided by a leading national search engine with over 100,000 jobs listed.

Another feature of NFB-NEWSLINE® is the localized weather alerts. Have you heard the emergency alert tone on the television but are unable to read the message scrolling on the screen? Now you can simply sign into NFB-NEWSLINE® and the weather report will be read to you on the spot. Any available weather alerts will be provided as soon as you sign into NFB-NEWSLINE®.

NFB-NEWSLINE’s wide array of publications and announcements can be accessed anytime you choose, on your schedule, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are a variety of ways to access. You can use your touch-tone telephone; you can access the service via the website, On Demand emails, using portable players, or even via your iPhone, iPad or iPod! And it’s always free.

Since 1996, the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (NJCBVI) has sponsored and funded NFB-Newsline® in New Jersey. We thank the NJCBVI for continuing to raise expectations to live the life we want!

For additional information, please visit www.nfbnj.org/nfb-newsline. You can also contact the NFB-NEWSLINE coordinator for New Jersey, Jane Degenshein, at 973-736-5785 or jdegen16 at comcast.net or contacting NFB-NEWSLINE at the National Federation of the Blind by dialing 1-866-504-7300 (toll free).

We proudly sponser: the KNFB Reader app!
The KNFB Reader app is a revolutionary tool that you can use, with the touch of a single button, to read virtually any type of printed text, including mail, receipts, class handouts, memos, and many other documents. Accuracy is facilitated by a field-of-view report, automatic page detection, and tilt control. The KNFB Reader is now fully sponsored by the NFB! To learn more about the app and how to download, visit www.nfb.org/knfbreader. You can also learn more at www.knfbreader.com. We are proud to inform you that in addition to the KNFB Reader being available on iOS and Android devices, it is now available on Windows 10 devices. Please download the following to learn how to use the KNFB Reader app:

·         KNFBReader quick start guide (PDF)

·         KNFBReader quick start guide (Word)

·         KNFBReader manual (PDF)

·         KNFBReader manual (Word)

Blog Post
Please read the KNFB Reader blog post found on the Blind With Vision Blog on the website of Mackey Enterprises LLC. The name of the blog post is “Blind People Reading Print They Can’t See? There’s an App for That!” You can read it at www.mackeyenterprisesllc.com/bwv-blog/blind-people-reading-print-they-cant-see. The blog can also be read at www.perkinselearning.org/technology/blog/blind-people-reading-print-they-can%E2%80%99t-see-there%E2%80%99s-app and www.nfbofillinois.org/blind-people-reading-print-they-cant-see.

Eligible Sprint customers can get a KNFB Reader Enterprise license for free!
Starting November 20, 2017, Sprint customers who purchase a new line of service or eligible upgrade through Sprint Accessibility will receive a free license to download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app on up to two mobile devices.

If you are a new or upgrading Sprint customer, you may be able to get the power to convert printed documents into speech or Braille instantly and accurately at no extra cost!

All you need to do is:

1.       Visit sprint.com/vision

2.       Call 855-885-7568 and ask a Sprint Accessibility Care representative for the KNFB Reader Enterprise app.

3.       Sprint will provide you with the information you need to create a username and password that will activate your new KNFB Reader Enterprise license.

4.       Download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, or Windows 10 Store.

5.       When you launch the app, enter the username and password from step 3 above, and you’re all set!

Please be sure to download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app, not KNFB Reader for $99.99. The KNFB Reader Enterprise app is listed free in the app stores and can be activated with your free KNFB Reader Enterprise License from Sprint. KNFB Reader Enterprise allows users to enjoy the power of KNFB Reader on multiple devices. Make sure that KNFB Reader Enterprise is the app that you download onto your devices to take advantage of this offer. KNFB Reader Enterprise works on Apple, Android, Windows 10 devices, and Windows 10 laptops and PCs.

You’ll be able to use KNFB Reader Enterprise provided by Sprint. Just download KNFB Reader Enterprise on both devices and use the same username and password. For example, you can download KNFB Reader Enterprise onto your Sprint phone, and also to your Windows 10 laptop. Or onto both your Android phone and Android tablet.

To learn more about the KNFB Reader Enterprise, visit www.knfbreader.com.

Happy reading from the National Federation of the Blind and Sprint Accessibility!

National Association of Blind Students Now On YouTube
The National Association of Blind Students now has a YouTube channel titled “how blind students see it”. On this YouTube channel, it will be a platform for different blind students to show us what is going on in their lives and their different successes. This channel will also have different videos educating people on different situations that blind people face and how blind students accomplish their goals. Here is a link to our YouTube channel and our first video introducing the board. We hope to have you subscribe and like our videos. We look forward to connecting with all of you in the future!

https://youtu.be/QnLE5sghKic

We Need Your Help! Monitor Uber and Lyft Compliance with Service Animal Agreement
The National Federation of the Blind has created a rideshare testing program to measure Lyft and Uber’s efforts to eliminate driver discrimination against riders with guide dogs or service animals. Recent agreements with these two major ridesharing companies require the National Federation of the Blind to provide feedback, over the next three to five years, on the efforts they have agreed to undertake to prevent discrimination against service animal users.

Here’s where you come in. If you use Uber or Lyft and have a service animal or travel with someone who has a service animal, we need your help. Fill out our online questionnaire after your next Uber or Lyft ride, and as often as you can after that. We would love feedback from regular Uber and Lyft users at least once a month, about both positive and negative experiences.

Extensive information about the program is available in the May issue of the Braille Monitor. You can also visit nfb.org/rideshare for more information, including an extensive FAQ, information on how to report discrimination to Uber and Lyft directly as well as through our questionnaire, and a list of the questions we’ll ask so you can be thinking about them when you take your next ride.

Please share this information with fellow Uber and Lyft users with guide dogs or other service animals.

If you have questions that are not answered by the resources above, contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, at (410) 659-9314 extension 2440, or vyingling at nfb.org. The NFBNJ project chair is Ginger Kutsch who may be reached at 973-656-0544 or ginger at ky2d.com.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this important effort.

Lyft’s Service Animal User Guide
As part of the agreement reached between the NFB and Lyft, Lyft has created a service animal user guide. Please view the version most appropriate for you and share with other service animal users.

·         Lyft Service Animal User Guide (Word)

·         Lyft Service Animal User Guide (PDF)

NFB Vehicle Donations program
The National Federation of the Blind uses car donations to improve the education of blind children, distribute free white canes, help veterans, and so much more. We have partnered with Vehicles For Charity to process donated vehicles. Just call toll-free (855) 659-9314, and a representative can make arrangements, or you can donate online by visiting www.nfb.org/vehicledonations.

If you have any questions, please contact the NJ Vehicle Donations coordinator Andrew Rees at 732-659-6002 or amrees567 at gmail.com. You could also contact the NFB Vehicle Donations coordinator Pattie Chang at 410-659-9314 x2422 or pchang at nfb.org. Your Old Car Keys Can Be Keys To Literacy For The Blind. Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking: www.carshelpingtheblind.org or call 855-659-9314.

Green Drop program
Donate new or used clothing and household items to the National federation of the blind. Are you or someone you know moving soon or cleaning out some closets? Why not donate your unwanted items to benefit the National Federation of the Blind? We’ll even pick the items up at your home! To schedule a pick up visit www.nfbpickup.org or dial 1-888-944-DROP (3767). All boxes and bags must be marked with NFB in order for the organization to receive credit for the donation. Questions can be directed to NJ Green Drop coordinator Linda DeBerardinis at 856-735-5559 or ljdeber3 at comcast.net. You could also direct your questions to the NFB GreenDrop coordinator Bridget Burke at 410-659-9314 x2271 or GreenDrop at nfb.org.

Listing of Accepted Items
The entire list of accepted items can be found on the GreenDrop website, www.nfbpickup.org. GreenDrop accepts new or gently used items including:

·         Clothing & Shoes

·         Household Items

·         Kitchenware

·         Games/Toys

·         Small Appliances

·         Electronics

·         Sporting Goods

·         Books, CDs & Videos

·         Small Furniture

Drop off locations
Here is the listing of Green Drop drop off locations in New Jersey. When you drop off your donations, make sure you mark all bags and boxes with NFB so that the NFB receives credit from your donation.

CHERRY HILL MAPLE
1060 Maple Ave.
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

METUCHEN
359 Amboy Ave
Metuchen, NJ 08840

SPRINGFIELD
831 South Springfield Ave
Springfield, NJ 07081

Blind Veterans Info
The National Federation of the Blind is reaching out to blind veterans across the country. If you know any blind veterans who you think would benefit from our programs, please contact Mrs. Patricia Maurer at pmaurer at nfb.org or 410-659-9314 x2287. The NFBNJ Coordinator is Joe Ruffalo, who can be reached at 973-743-0075 or nfbnj1 at verizon.net.

Archived ThruOurEyes shows
Archived Episodes of ThruOurEyes podcasts are preserved in the Jacobus tenBroek Library at the National Federation of the Blind and are available for listening upon request. Please contact the tenBroek Library at jtblibrary at nfb.org or at 410-659-9314, extension 2310 for more information.

The podcasts that are in the archives are:

·         Echevarria Travel

·         From Our Hearts to Your Home

·         Looking Good Without Looking

·         On the Bright Side

·         The Sounding Board

·         ThruOurEyes

Additional Information
For additional information about the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey or how to send us a donation, please contact NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo at the following:

254 Spruce Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Phone: 973-743-0075
Email: nfbnj1 at verizon.net