[NFBNJ] BELL Academy page from nfbnj.org

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 8 16:49:09 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
We are excited to announce the fifth BELL Academy program for 2018.
Please read and share with others.
We have provided an oberview for this years program, photographs from 2017
and a sponsorship request for your consideration.

Let’s continue to give the gift of literacy to the next generation!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want.

BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning) Academy

<https://www.nfbnj.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/NFB-BELL-Academy-Logo.jpg>

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey (NFBNJ) will be
sponsoring its fifth BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning)
Academy held weekdays, July 16 through July 27, 2018 between the hours of
9:00 am and 3:00 pm. The program will be held at the Puerto Rican
Association for Human Development (PRAHD), Inc. located at:
101 First Street
Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861

The BELL Academy will provide instruction in Braille and daily living skills
to children ages 4 through 12 who have lacked the opportunity and sufficient
exposure to these important areas. In addition, the children will form new
friendships with other vision impaired/blind children and adults, and
interact with sighted children who will attend the PRAHD's own summer
program. Highlights from last year's BELL Academy included working with
model trains, building a toolbox, enjoying hands on activities at Turtle
Back Zoo, building motorized cars and helicopters with Lego's, played
goalball, and participating in science experiments pertaining to chemistry
and magnetism.

The children will have access to blind adults that will serve as mentors and
facilitators of our program.

Our goal is to enable the children to live the lives they want through
upbeat and positive attitudes, skills, and experiences provided by the BELL
Academy.

If you would like to review and/or complete an application for the BELL
Academy, please visit  <https://nfb.org/bell-student-application-form>
https://nfb.org/bell-student-application-form. You can also read the
affiliate-specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for New Jersey at
<https://nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/nj>
https://nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/nj. For more information, please
contact Mary Jo Partyka, our state BELL coordinator, at
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com or by phone at 609-888-5459.

Pictures - 2017

BELL Academy student Luke is having fun playing with a train. Picture taken
by Barbara Grames.

BELL Academy students Luke and Nate are practicing walking with their canes
while carrying trays. Picture taken by Barbara Grames.

BELL Academy students Luke and Zora having fun while at the Turtle Back Zoo.
Picture taken by Barbara Grames.

BELL Academy students Ryan and Luke are using nonvisual techniques to
perform a science experiment. Picture taken by Barbara Grames.

BELL Academy students are practicing using their cane skills while at the
2017 NFBNJ BELL Academy. Picture taken by Barbara Grames.

BELL Academy Sponsorship Request for 2018

You Can Help Sponsor This Summer's BELL Academy
>From Ice Cream to T-Shirts, Braille Paper to Pizza

Please consider the opportunity to help sponsor some part of the Braille
Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy this summer, to be
conducted in Perth Amboy, NJ. The BELL Academy dates for 2018 are July 16th
to 27th.

The BELL Academy is a two-week program for visually impaired and blind
children ages 4 through 12, many of whom have had minimal exposure to
braille. The program presents opportunities to enhance braille and blindness
skills. Instruction in activities of daily living furthers the children's
independence and self-sufficiency. Blind mentors and volunteers provide
excellent role models, keeping expectations high and proving that blindness
is not the characteristic that defines one's future. All BELL Academy
children receive a free white cane and a free slate and stylus from the NFB.

Please review and consider the following list of sponsorships. Thank you.

*         $200 Tee shirts for all participants

*         $200 Supplies for arts and crafts

*         $150 Christmas in July party with Santa

*         $100 Louis Braille birthday party

*         $100 Various games: Twister, Bingo, etc.

*         $50 Ice cream at the beach

*         $30 Mid-week pizza party

*         $30 Braille paper

*         $20 Dark lined paper

*         $15 20/20 pens

*         $10 Snacks per day

*         $5 Water for each day

Sponsorship for Tactile Graphic Products

Competence in understanding and using tactile/raised-line illustrations is
critical for blind children both for academic and expressive needs. The
following five items promote this important but often less-recognized
subject area.

1.       4 or more Sensational Graphics Blackboards at $49.95. Here's a
short video:  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E

2.       3D Doodler Pens, $100 each with "ink" strands. More packs of "ink
strands" cost $12.00 for a 25-pack.

3.       InTact Sketch Pad $125.  <http://www.easytactilegraphics.com/>
http://www.easytactilegraphics.com

4.       InTact Sketch Pad electric eraser $150

5.       Extra InTact Sketch Pad paper: 100 sheets for $24.00

Note: We have received several sponsorships prior to this posting, and we
thank those that have made the donation.

Once again, thanks for your interest and support to drive the BELL Academy
vehicle along the road to literacy and learning for blind children.
Together, with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

Please make checks payable to NFBNJ and mail to:

Joe Ruffalo, President
254 Spruce Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

In the memo, please write "BELL." Any sponsorship in any amount will be
appreciated.