[NFBNJ] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 04/16/2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 20:47:50 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
A few days ago, I forwarded my monthly notes to all on our distribution
list.
I have pasted President Riccobono’s weekly notebook distributed to affiliate
leaders.  I decided to forward to all as it provides much material for your
review and sharing.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want.

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I hope this message finds you doing well and with your taxes filed. We are
now entering that window of time where the preparations for our national
convention compete with all of the other great things that are happening. We
are juggling many things while preparing for the convention, including an
important hearing on the Marrakesh Implementation Act this week. Your
convention ideas are still welcome.

In preparation for the national convention, I note that we have some new
delegates to the convention. If our new delegates are interested in having a
call to discuss the responsibilities of the delegates, please let me know.
In the meantime, I encourage all affiliates to be thinking about their gifts
to the national organization. We cannot continue to raise expectations
without the funds to allow us to be in the right places at the strategically
right time. Contributions from affiliates to the national organization make
a difference in our having funds to carry out the work directed by the
convention.

Critical Actions This Week:
Marrakesh Treaty Update:
On Wednesday, April 18, the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations will be
holding a hearing regarding the Marrakesh Treaty. The hearing will be held
at 10:30 a.m. in the Senate Dirksen Office Building, room 419. Scott LaBarre
will be testifying on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind. Those
in the local area who are available should consider attending. The hearing
will also be live-streamed at
https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/treaties-041818.

News:
Proposals for Tactile Graphics Symposium Presentations Now Being Accepted:
The Tactile Graphics in Education and Careers Symposium will take place at
the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute on October 11-12,
2018. Proposals for general session and breakout session presentations will
be accepted until May 7, 2018. For additional information about the
symposium, please visit
https://nfb.org/tactile-graphics-education-and-careers-symposium.

Links to News:
There was an article about the subminimum wage ban for which the NFB of
Washington advocated in Seattle that can be found at
http://kuow.org/post/seattle-bans-subminimum-wages-people-disabilities.

Also, over the weekend there was an article and video about a new Braille
standards proposal in
DC<https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/dc-council-bill-aims-to-introduce-braille-education-to-kids/65-538135933>.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   May 1, 2018: Deadline for NFB EQ program
applications<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>
  *   May 1, 2018: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of the Year
nominations<https://nfb.org/divisions-and-committees#DistinguishedEducatorBlindChildren>
  *   May 31, 2018: Deadline for preregistration for 2018 National
Convention<https://convention.nfb.org/>
  *   July 3-8, 2018: National Federation of the Blind National
Convention<https://nfb.org/convention>, Orlando, Florida
  *   July 29-August 4, 2018: NFB EQ<http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq>

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 |
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work

Disclaimer