[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: Notes From Joe Ruffalo President NFBNJ April 2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 15 05:04:38 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!

Last year, I sent via email, monthly notes from me, Joe Ruffalo as your
president.  I hope it was somewhat helpful as I am providing the second year
information titled, "Notes From Joe Ruffalo NFBNJ President April 2018"
Each month, hopefully the notes will be forwarded by mid month.
Please read and share the information with others.

Nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:Nfbnj1 at verizon.net>
www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org>
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want

**

Items of Interest
1.    Successful Leadership/Membership Building
2.    Application Deadline Is Approaching, EQ Summer Program
3.    National Convention, Orlando July 3 to July 8
4.    Ken Lawrence, Update On His Radio Show
5.    Uber And Lyft Service Animal Survey Please Consider
6.    EZ Ryde Transportation Information

1.    On March 24, 39 members of the state affiliate representing the
state board, chapters, divisions and guests attended an all day
meeting/workshop at the JKTC in New Brunswick.  We are planning an article
for the spring issue of the Sounding Board that will highlight the days
activities.

****

2. Blind and low-vision high school teens who are ready to learn new things,
meet new people, and have an adventure this summer are encouraged to apply
to attend the NFB EQ program. To learn more visit:
http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq. The deadline to apply is May 1.

****

3.     The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take
place in Orlando, Florida, July 3 to July 8, at the Rosen Shingle Creek
Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make your
room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.

Call (866) 996-6338.

Additional information can be located in the monthly Braille Monitor and/or
by visiting the National Federation of the Blind website at www.nfb.org
<http://www.nfb.org>

****

4. Hi Joe please post this to the NFBNJ mailing list.  Hi NFB friends here
is exciting news concerning my radio show. Our station is now joining the
accessible friends network's station. Many of our out of sight shows are now
being simulcast on TAFN radio while they are simulcasting some of their
shows on our station. This just launched on Monday, march 26th after several
weeks testing and making sure all our members can run on two stations at
once.  Right now I have only one simulcast each week but I may offer to do
shows on TAFN only.  So now my show is still heard on Monday, Wednesday,
Thursday, and Friday at 9:00 A.M. and Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. but now
the Sunday shows will be a simulcast. Tune to www.out-of-sight.net/radio
<http://www.out-of-sight.net/radio>  and for the Sunday shows you can also
tune to www.tafn.org.uk <http://www.tafn.org.uk> . Hope you will also make
requests on Radio at out-of-sight.net <mailto:Radio at out-of-sight.net> . If you
have an alexa speaker, just tell alexa to play out of sight net radio.
Thanks, and happy listening.

****

5. Please consider using the following social media messaging this month to
reach potential testers via Twitter, Facebook, and your affiliate's
listserv.

An Uber or Lyft denial is no April Fool's joke. If you're denied
transportation because of your service animal, let the NFB know:

https://nfb.org/rideshare-test.

*        Spring into action today! Ride Uber or Lyft with your service
animal and then fill out our survey: https://nfb.org/rideshare-test.

*        If you use Uber or Lyft with a service animal, tell us about your
experience: https://nfb.org/rideshare-test .

Thank you, again, for your help with the NFB's rideshare testing program.
Please note that we've posted at https://nfb.org/rideshare tips on how to
reduce ambiguity when interacting with a Lyft or Uber driver or
investigator. We want to prevent drivers saying that they didn't know your
animal was a service animal. The tips are as follows:

  1.  Help the driver know it is not a pet. Tell your driver, via text,
phone call, or in person, that you are traveling with your service animal.

  2.  Tell Uber or Lyft that your driver knew it was a service animal. When
you complain, let them know that you told the driver about your service
animal. If the incident was witnessed by another person, tell the rideshare
company, and if possible provide contact information for the witness.

  3.  Report non-service denial discrimination. If you experience forms of
discrimination related to your service animal other than being denied a
ride, please report these to Uber or Lyft and to NFB or our legal team.

Thanks,

Valerie Yingling

Legal Program Coordinator

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2440 | vyingling at nfb.org
<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org%3cmailto:vyingling at nfb.org>
<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>

***

  6. Ryde4Life - On Demand Transportation

For Adults 100+ Years and Younger

Ryde4Life EZ Ride offers on demand transportation for adults 18 years or
older in partnership with transportation network companies like Lyft and
Uber.

What Makes It Different?

. No smartphone required - use any cell phone

. No advanced reservations - rides are arranged on demand.

. Offer you the best pricing available

. We monitor your ride and assist if needed.

Register:

. Fill out application online at Ryde4Life.org

or

. Speak to a live person from your area Call: (866) 208-1307, Option 4

or

. Print and mail application to:

EZ Ride

144 Park Place East

Wood-Ridge, NJ 07075

Request a Ride:

. To request a ride call free (866) 208-1307, Option 4

. Rides are available:

Monday through Friday from 8am - 8pm & Saturday from 8am - 5pm

Cost:

. Non-refundable membership fee: $15 per year

. Ride fee: based on Lyft or Uber rates.

. Administrative fee: $1 per ride

Discounts Subject to availability of funds, the following discounts are
available to riders with Pharmaceutical Assistance for Aged and Disabled
(PAAD) cards, based on availability of funds:

. Reduction of $1/ride

. Waiver of the $1/ride administrative fee

For details about the PAAD Card, call NJDHS at 1-800-792-9745 or visit
www.state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/home/paaddetail.html
<http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/home/paaddetail.html>

EZ Ride is a non-profit public-private partnership that strives to improve
the quality of life for people in New Jersey by providing transportation
services for commuters, older adults, and people with reduced mobility. In
addition to our Ryde4Life Program we manage the state's largest carpool and
vanpool program and operate shuttle services for businesses, municipalities
and universities. We provide more than 650,000 shuttle rides a year in the
state's most densely populated counties. The Community Transportation
Association of America recognized EZ Ride as the Urban Community
Transportation System of the Year in 2013 for excellence in serving the
community. To learn more about what we can do for you or your community,
visit www.ezride.org <http://www.ezride.org> .

--

  Robin Paoletti

  Outreach Coordinator