[NFBNJ] NFB: The Braille Monitor, February 2018

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 02:15:38 UTC 2018

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Received from Brian Burrow, NFB.

Greetings to all!

Provided is the February Braille Monitor. Please read and share with others.

Many educational, motivational and inspirational articles that will continue
to raise your expectations to live the life you want!

***

                               BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 61, No. 2   February 2018

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash

drive, by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2018 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with

the drive when you return the device.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort]

Orlando Site of 2018 NFB Convention

      The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take

place in Orlando, Florida, July 3 to July 8, at the Rosen Shingle Creek

Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make your

room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.

Call (866) 996-6338.

      The 2018 room rates are singles and doubles, $88; and for triples and

quads $93. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at

present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under

seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now. A $100-per-room deposit is

required to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be

refunded if notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation

before June 1, 2018. The other 50 percent is not refundable.

      Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reservations may be made before June 1, 2018, assuming that rooms are still

available. After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the

convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

      All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include

plush Shingle Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-

speed internet service, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and

hairdryers. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-

site spa. The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a number of dining options,

including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room

service.

The schedule for the 2018 convention is:

Tuesday, July 3              Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 4      Registration and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 5 Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 6         Opening Session

Saturday, July 7 Business Session

Sunday, July 8         Banquet Day and Adjournment

Vol.                     61,                      No.                      2

February 2018

      Contents

Illustration: A Day for Unity and Growth

The Superhero Hangs Up Her Cape

by Sophie Trist

Ecorched

by Justin Salisbury

A Really Sharp Knife

by Chris Kuell

Driving Blind on the Information Superhighway: Browsers-Choosing the Right

Vehicle for the Journey

by Amy Mason

Why Human Readers are No Substitute for Accessible Software

by Sabra Ewing

Lessons in Blindness Inspire Insight

by Scott McKinney

The Library Leadership Forum: An Introduction to Open Libraries

by Amy Mason and Anna Kresmer

Priscilla Ferris Dies

by Gary Wunder

Disney Research Creates Tactile Fireworks Display

by Grace Warn

OrCam: Pointing Toward the Future

by Joel Zimba

Independence Market Corner

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: A Shining Example of the Value of Diversity

in Employment

by Dick Davis

Constitution of the National Federation of the Blind as Amended 2014

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO CAPTION: Left to right: Joe Miller, Bob Watson, Tammy Albee, Shelley

Duffy, and Susan Skaarer work on assembling words into the one-minute

message.]

[PHOTO CAPTION: Left side of the table: Seth Lamkin, Danielle Harten, and

Karla Bingman. Right side of the table: Paul Ficarro, Valerie Yingling, and

Ellen Ringlein sit working on the math problem challenge.]

[PHOTO CAPTION: Left to right: Kimie Beverly, Anna Adler, Mary Ellen

Jernigan, Anil Lewis, Kathy Douglas (her face is covered by an arm; you can

only see her arm up in a peace sign), Bill Jacobs, and Will Schwatka smile

together and a few of them hold up the peace sign.]

[PHOTO CAPTION: Amy Mason wears sleep shades and carries a fake egg on a

spoon while using her cane to find her way to the other end of the

challenge. Steve Booth does the same in a lane parallel to her.]

                        A Day for Unity and Growth

      The National Federation of the Blind is an organization on the move,

and it demands a lot not only from its members but from its staff. Each

year we try to recognize the hard work of the men and women whose paid

employment is directed to helping us achieve our goals.

      In 2017 our staff team building day was on Monday, November 15, and

what an opportunity it was to team up with people who work in other

programs and to learn more about them than their name and their job. After

President Riccobono outlined the activities for the day, we moved to our

team tables and started the friendly competition that would continue

throughout the day. One of our simpler tasks was to take words we were

given and to figure out the Federation message they comprised. We played a

Federation trivia game that included important facts from history and

humorous facts from the present - how many people attended the first

meeting in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, and how many toilets are there in

the Jernigan Institute? Some of the tasks were physical, and some of them

were mental. We were given a solo cup, a balloon, and the instruction that

we knock the cup off the table without touching it. The most difficult

challenge of the day involved solving complicated word clues that led us to

even harder word clues and objects, all of which would guide us to the

successful conclusion of the game. Of course, what would any teambuilding

day be without the sheer physical challenge of a team relay race in which

the challenge is to be the first to carry your egg on a spoon across the

finish line.

      The day concluded with a wonderful meal and the many stories that were

shared during it. As the pictures make clear, all of us had a wonderful

time and are anxiously planning for the celebration that will come in 2018.

It is a distinct honor to work for the National Federation of the Blind

alongside such dedicated and inspired men and women.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Sophie Trist]

                       The Superhero Hangs Up Her Cape

                               by Sophie Trist

      From the Editor: Sophie Trist is the winner of a 2017 national

scholarship. She is intelligent, energetic, introspective, and articulate.

In this piece she contrasts the experience of winning two different awards

during her lifetime: The Inclusion Alliance's Adult Spirit Award when she

was nineteen, and the National Braille Challenge when she was eight. Her

narration of the events alternates between the two awards, really letting

her reader see what a difference the criteria to win the award makes to the

value of winning it. Here is what she says:

      I've always loved the limelight. The sound of applause is music to my

ears. That's why I answered the email I got from Mrs. Sarah Cordet in

August of 2016. "Dear Miss Trist," it read, "The special education

coordinator for St. Tammany Parish has nominated you for Inclusion

Alliance's Adult Spirit Award. After much consideration, we have chosen you

as a finalist. The ceremony will take place on Thursday, September 28,

2016, at 7:00 PM in the Long River Hall." I'd never heard of Inclusion

Alliance in my life; a quick Google search told me it was a local

organization that helped special needs people become involved in the

community. I had no idea what an Adult Spirit Award was, but I told Mrs.

Cordet that I would be delighted to attend her ceremony.

The National Braille Challenge

      I sat in a classroom with eleven other eight-year-olds at the Braille

Institute in Los Angeles. I forced myself to stay still, remembering all of

Mom's prohibitions against fidgeting. I was one of twelve finalists in the

Apprentice division (ages eight to ten) for the National Braille Challenge.

We would now take a test, and the first, second, and third place winners

would win trophies and money. Nervous, excited sweat broke out all over my

palms as a grown-up called for quiet. "We will now begin the test," she

said. "I'll be passing out the booklets, but no one is to open them until I

say so. As you all should know, you'll be competing in the categories of

Braille reading, spelling, and proofreading. Good luck!"

The Inclusion Alliance Award

      All of the Inclusion Alliance award finalists, including nineteen-

year-old yours truly, had companions (read, chaperones) assigned to them

for the evening. My companion was an older, extremely nice lady named Ms.

Linda. I actually knew Ms. Linda's family pretty well; her younger daughter

Alyssa had been in Advanced Placement classes with me in high school, and

her older daughter shared my name, Sophie. At the reception that took place

before the ceremony, Ms. Linda and I stood beside a poster containing

numerous pictures of me that Mom had emailed to Mrs. Cordet. I was skiing,

I was playing the piano, I was reading Braille, I was meeting Taylor Swift.

I was the belle of the ball. Tons of people, most of whom I knew at least

vaguely, came to talk to me. I was a fountain of laughter and smiles.

Everyone from my hometown's special needs community was dying to know how

my freshman year of college was going. The fact that I had pledged Delta

Gamma the week before was especially interesting in a town where Greek

affiliations are almost as important as church and football.

The National Braille Challenge

      "How do you think you did?" Mom asked the second I walked out of the

classroom. All around us, other parents were asking their kids the same

question. I told them that I thought I did pretty well. That was an

understatement. I felt like Santa Claus had just told me it would be my

birthday every single day for the next year. All I could think about was

the adrenaline that shot through my veins as my fingers flew across the

keys of my Braillewriter. I had been fast, and the questions had been easy.

I thought about the judges who were even now scoring everyone's tests. Let

me win, I prayed silently. Let me be one of the winners. I thought about

what everyone at school would say when they found out I was one of the top

three Braille readers in America. I was quivering with excitement as we

walked back toward our hotel to get ready for the awards banquet.

The Inclusion Alliance Award

      The Inclusion Alliance ceremony started out with the pledge and the

national anthem. The first award presented was to a business that hired

special needs people. As the three finalists for the Student Spirit award

were presented, each walking onstage with his or her companion, an image of

a superhero, standing tall and glorious in a flowing cape popped into my

mind. Everyone always said it must be great to be a superhero, but I

thought it must be a lonely life, living with extraordinary powers. Sure,

superheroes have sidekicks, but the reason we make movies about them and

plaster their pictures on t-shirts, posters, and everything else we can

think of is because they're exceptional. They stick out from the crowd.

These people think I'm some kind of superhero, I realized as a troop of

girls went through a dance routine onstage. But they're wrong. I'm just a

normal nineteen-year-old girl. I took AP classes in high school, I got a

full ride to college, I advocate on social justice issues that are

important to me, and I'm proud of all those accomplishments. But they don't

make me a superhero. When sighted kids achieve those same things, they get

some praise and a pat on the back, but no one would ever dream of giving

them an Adult Spirit Award.

      Disabled people are often crowned with laurels for doing things that

don't get noticed when done by "normal" people, such as excelling in

school, getting a college scholarship, or using a fork. (Seriously, one of

my blind friends was once lavishly praised for using a fork properly.) I

could invent a new superhero, I thought, struggling not to laugh out loud.

Forkman would be right at home in the Justice League, swinging his Terrible

and Awesome Silverware of Justice to save America! But my mirth didn't last

long as I started to think about why disabled people who live full and

productive lives and refuse to let our disabilities stop us are treated

like superheroes. I think non-disabled people do this to feel better about

themselves. While the brokers of the disability superhero mentality mean

well for the most part, they can't see how their actions are demeaning to

disabled people. Congratulating someone for the ability to eat without

making the table look like the scene of a Civil War battle implies that you

don't believe that person capable of truly great things. It perpetuates the

low expectations that hold disabled people back much more than blindness,

deafness, or any other physical or mental handicap. Treating disabled

people like superheroes allows organizations like Inclusion Alliance to

ignore the discrimination faced by people with disabilities, such as the

payment of subminimum wages to disabled workers and the inability of many

blind college students to gain accessible materials for their education.

The superhero mentality surrounding independent disabled people is holding

back true and meaningful change.

The National Braille Challenge

      Of course, the winners from the Apprentice division were the last to

be announced. My friend Tiffany, who was twelve, had won second place in

the Sophomore division. "For the Apprentice division, we have Emily Necker

from Paradise, Ohio in third place!" The lady with the microphone

announced. I clapped with everyone else; Emily had struck me as nice and

smart. Once she received her trophy, the woman called, "In second place, we

have Sophie Trist from Louisiana!" The cheering in that hall sounded like

the best kind of thunder. For the first couple of seconds I was too shocked

to move. I'd imagined myself winning, but I couldn't believe it was

actually happening! A dreamlike calm stole over me as Dad took my hand and

led me to the stage. Someone thrust a trophy into my hands; the thing felt

almost as big as me. "Congratulations!" someone gushed. I tried to say

thank you, but I couldn't speak. My smile was too big. As cameras flashed,

I basked in the applause like a cat basking in the sun. I'd never been

happier in my life. Being recognized as the second-best Braille reader in

America was a huge accomplishment.

The Inclusion Alliance Award

      The three Adult Spirit Award finalists were called up in alphabetical

order. Owen Hart, whom I'd known since childhood, had Downs syndrome, loved

riding horses, and worked two jobs, one as a janitor at Clear Lake Middle

School, and another as an assistant at the weekly farmer's market in the

next town over. Mary Katherine Church was a schoolteacher who was mostly

deaf. And then the MC announced, "Sophie Trist graduated high school with a

4.2 GPA. Several years ago she started her own business Brailling menus for

local restaurants. Sophie's hobbies include reading, writing, and singing.

She is a freshman at Loyola University New Orleans and recently pledged

Delta Gamma sorority." Once we were all introduced, the MC presented Mary

Katherine with the third-place award. Owen won second place. My heart rate

sped up; I knew what was coming next. "For the winner of the 2016 Adult

Spirit Award, Miss Sophie Trist," the MC exclaimed. Applause thundered

through the Long River Hall. I beamed as Mrs. Cordet handed me a plaque and

a certificate.

The Gnawing Persistence of Introspection

      As cameras snapped pictures that would appear on Facebook by the next

day, I thought about the other times I'd stood on stages to receive awards.

Many of them had been earned. But this wasn't my first night as a

superhero. In sixth grade I'd received the Principal's Award, and just last

year, a few days before graduation, I received the Dare Award at the

seniors' assembly. This award was for a student who "showed tremendous

courage in the face of adversity." I'm a white, middle-class girl from the

suburb; the only adversity I've encountered is blindness. And while I have

to do some things differently from my sighted peers, my life isn't hard by

any definition of the word. I have always been encouraged to pursue my

dreams and been given every tool and opportunity necessary to do so. I felt

like a China doll someone had placed on a high shelf, something to be

admired but not necessarily understood, something designed to make others

feel better about their supposedly perfect lives. I felt more pride when I

won second place at the National Braille Challenge than when I won first

place at this empty ceremony.

      On the way home that night and for many nights after, I tried to push

thoughts of the ceremony out of my head. But I couldn't forget the

revelation I'd had while sitting in that auditorium. I've always been a

writer, and a few months after that evening in November, I decided to write

about it in the hope that it would help me process my thoughts and

feelings. The result is the piece you've just read. I've hung up my cape. I

won't-no, I can't-accept any more awards for simply being myself and

fulfilling my own high expectations. I won't take part in this superhero

culture any longer. I want to be acknowledged for true accomplishments such

as starting my own business or writing a novel that makes the New York

Times bestseller list, a lifelong dream of mine. I bear no ill will toward

Inclusion Alliance or my school principals or anyone else who gives

disabled people awards for doing mundane things. They do this out of

ignorance and misunderstanding, not out of any malice toward the disabled

community. They have big hearts, but they do not understand our struggles.

I do hope to educate people, blind and sighted alike, on the harmful nature

of these low expectations and misconceptions. I want to change the laws and

our culture so that disabled people can truly shine, with no barriers in

their way.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Justin Salisbury]

                                  Ecorched

                             by Justin Salisbury

      From the Editor: Justin Salisbury is a frequent contributor to these

pages, and we are the better for his thoughts. He is committed to helping

blind people receive good rehabilitation and challenging his students to go

beyond what is comfortable. Here is an article in which he shares with us a

new word that was added to his vocabulary while on a travel lesson and how

the word describes something he thinks important for those who work in or

receive services from our nation's rehabilitation service:

     When I meet my new students, I take the time to talk with them to get

to know them a little bit. I like to learn their story, family structure,

hobbies, career goals, motivations, and things like that. I enjoy getting

to know people anyway, but it tends to improve the quality of instructional

time, too. Here in Hawaii we have a very high immigrant population. When I

meet immigrant students, I often ask them what has brought them to the

United States. Frequently I get answers about leaving areas of civil unrest

or pursuing greater educational or economic opportunity. One student told

me that he came to the United States to get better at speaking English. It

turned out that he spoke many languages, and he had worked as a private

language tutor for many years. When working with him, I always had to be on

my toes to hear when he would drop a new word which I needed to add to my

vocabulary. At the end of such lessons, when we would debrief in my office

I would write down these new words and their definitions. For the sake of

this story I will refer to this student as Jim.

      One day on a group travel lesson, he coined a new word which captured

an important concept. I took Jim and another student to find the post

office in downtown Honolulu. I gave them the directions myself and wanted

to see how well they could follow them. When we got on the number 4 bus,

Jim sat somewhere down on the bottom level but behind the disability seats-

we don't use those during training. The other student and I went to sit

near the very back of the bus. When we got to King and Punchbowl, the stop

where we had agreed to get off the bus, only Jim and I did so. The other

student, it appeared, had lost his focus and had inadvertently given

himself an entirely different kind of travel assignment. Upon exiting, Jim

began calling the name of his classmate to regroup with him on the

sidewalk. We both realized that his classmate was not there.

      Jim became noticeably upset and passionately declared that his

classmate had been ecorched. For pronunciation, this word begins like

"ecosystem" and rhymes with "scorched." I had to slow him down to help him

relax and focus, but I also wanted to know what this word meant. He

explained that a sapling tree which has been ecorched has had all of the

bark stripped off from it so that the tree is still alive but will

inevitably dry out and die. Such a sapling tree would never survive to

reach its potential. I could not help but laugh at the imagery. Jim asked

if I was going to call the bus company to see what they could do. I told

him that I was sure his classmate would figure something out, and I

suggested that we proceed to find the post office without him.

      Sure enough, after we had walked about fifty yards down the sidewalk,

I received a call from his classmate. He sounded a little stressed out. He

told me that he had realized that he had missed our stop and then gotten

off the bus. He was at the Alapai Transit Center, a major transit center

which was also completely unfamiliar to him. Someone had given him

directions to the post office from there, but I told him not to worry about

finding the post office and just hop on a number 13 bus to go back to the

training center. I figured this would fall within his optimal level of

challenge.

      During our trip back to the training center, Jim and I had some time

to debrief. I asked him how he spelled the word "ecorched," which he

explained to me. Since he spoke so many languages, I asked him about the

etymology of the word. He explained that it was derived from a French verb,

icorcer, and he was making an English word out of it. He told me that

another use of the word was to describe a military strategic move where a

commanding officer would assign a disliked subordinate to a maneuver that

was sure to get him killed. In other words, a commanding officer could

ecorch a subordinate by sending him into a battle ill-equipped against much

stronger forces. Jim told me it was almost a form of human sacrifice. He

said that he coined the word out of his strong emotion. I was so excited to

finally have a word for an instructional transgression of which we are so

often accused.

      This experience and newly-coined word encapsulate many important

themes in blindness rehabilitation, especially some misperceptions about

Structured Discovery, a model developed by members of the National

Federation of the Blind. The National Federation of the Blind operates

three training centers on this philosophy, and there are three state-run

training centers which are accredited on this model as well. I am proud to

work at one of them. Structured Discovery is based on a belief that blind

people are normal and that we must do more than simply learn alternative

techniques. We must take the time to achieve an emotional adjustment to

blindness so that we truly come to think of ourselves as normal. We must

develop confidence in our own ability to function and compete. We must

learn how to blend into sighted society. Good practitioners take an active

role in the organized blind movement to help us move toward full equality

and inclusion. Sometimes we use teaching methods which demonstrate that we

expect much more of students than they expect of themselves and more than

those around them have expected.

      Why did I leave that student on the bus instead of making him get off

at King and Punchbowl? He had struggled with paying attention to stop

announcements on buses many times before. He was advanced enough in

training that he would be able to problem-solve to make it back to the

training center. After all, it was easier than a drop route. If I had told

him that we were at our stop, it would have taught him that it was not

necessary for him to pay attention for stop announcements because somebody

else would do it for him. I am writing this article about two months after

this experience, and I am pleased to report that he has been on his game

with stop announcements ever since and shows no nervousness about going to

unfamiliar transit centers. He had a valuable problem-solving experience

that day when he arrived in a completely unfamiliar transit center and had

to find his way back. I told him what bus to take in order to help him have

some direction and keep him from stressing out too badly, but, if it had

happened today, I would probably just tell him to figure it out. As a

student progresses in training, the challenges get harder. We do not set

people up to fail or be overwhelmed, but we always push them to that next

level. We need them to understand in their hearts, based on experience,

that they can function on their own and that blindness does not necessitate

an instructor to help them travel.

      There are some professionals in the blindness field who might contend

that it is unsafe or mean to allow a student to have those kinds of

experiences. There are some who would say that I did ecorch him that day. I

am proud to be a part of a training center whose staff and students have

cracked jokes about that word ever since that day because we understand

that students can and should be allowed to make mistakes. There are some

blindness professionals who are afraid to let their students make mistakes

and who contend that mistakes break a student's confidence. On the

contrary, we demonstrate every day that the process of learning to overcome

mistakes can build a student's confidence. I do not allow the risk of

getting lost or students being challenged to prevent me from pushing them

to their limits. This is a necessary part of finding the frontier and then

advancing it further. Some days my students do fail, but we talk about the

problems and conquer them another time.

      I would never be able to teach the way that I do if not for my

training at the Louisiana Center for the Blind, and I feel bad for those

blindness professionals who are attempting to teach alternative techniques

and understandings of blindness which they do not possess themselves. It is

not necessary that I be a blind person to do this; I know some sighted cane

travel instructors who are proficient travelers under sleepshades and can

hold a great philosophical discussion. I have no problem letting students

make mistakes because I know from experience that correction is possible.

When we let students make mistakes, they learn not to be afraid of making

mistakes on their own. This opens the door for experimentation and

innovation. Yes, blind people are capable of these things, too, and these

abilities make us better contributors on the job and in society in general.

I am glad that I now have a word for the thing that I never do to my

students: ecorch.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Chris Kuell slices a vegetable.]

                            A Really Sharp Knife

                               by Chris Kuell

      From the Editor: Chris Kuell is an articulate, reflective man who

manages to capture what he feels, grows from integrating what comes from

his head and his heart, and shares that through his writing. Here is his

most recent offering:

      Earlier this week I took a cab to a doctor's appointment. We passed

The Sesame Seed, a Middle Eastern restaurant around the corner from where I

live, and the driver commented on how fat he'd be if he lived that close.

We chatted about the great hummus, baba ganoush, kibbe, and wonderful fish

dishes served at the restaurant. This led us to talk about our favorite

local restaurants, how his son was a CIA (Culinary Institute of America)

graduate, and some of our favorite dishes. When he told me his girlfriend

wasn't a vegetarian but would only eat seafood and chicken for protein, I

described my original seafood chowder and lettuce-wrapped chicken recipes.

He told me about a pork dish he makes when his girlfriend isn't around, and

then I described how, after many attempts, I'd finally figured out how to

make an authentic shrimp pad Thai. Around this time we arrived at my

appointment, and I wished him a good day.

      All went well at the doctor, and when the cab I'd requested to go

home arrived, it was the same driver who brought me there. We drove in

silence for a few minutes. Then he said, somewhat uncomfortably, that he

hoped I didn't mind, but how, uh, could a guy with my-ummmm-handicap, cook

sophisticated dishes?

      I assured him that I didn't mind his question, then answered that I

believed I could cook anything, I'm experienced in the kitchen, and I have

a really sharp knife. I'm totally blind, but I'm fairly certain his jaw

dropped at that last one.

      I told him that a few years ago I invested in a couple of really nice

chef's knives and a sharpening stone, and I keep the knives sharp enough to

shave the hair off my arm. This is a trick an old lobsterman taught me when

I was a kid.

      While your average sighted person would probably feel very

uncomfortable with the thought of a blind guy wielding something that could

easily lop off a finger or two, a sharp knife makes slicing everything so

much easier and faster. I love when the blade easily glides through a

tomato rather than hacking and mashing it. And really-it's no more

dangerous than the various saws and power tools or deep fryer that I use

regularly.

      I'm extremely fond of my fingertips, so I am always careful when

doing anything that could endanger them. Yes, I've received the occasional

burn when a pan wasn't on the stove exactly where I thought it was or when

flipping something in hot oil and a little splatters, but those are the

marks of a cook-reminders to always be aware of your surroundings and what

you are doing.

      Belief that I can do anything comes relatively easy to me. Call it

confidence or arrogance or good parenting-whatever. All I know is that it

is a key to successful endeavors. When I first lost my sight at thirty-

five, I fell into a short-lived despondency. Then my wife convinced me to

attend an NFB national convention. There I was with thousands of blind

people who did whatever they wanted, and I knew that if they could do it, I

could as well.

      You need to either be shown how to do something or figure it out

yourself, then practice. The experience you gain will not only improve your

skills but your confidence in tackling other tasks. Nobody is good at cane

travel right away. It takes a lot of practice, some getting lost, some

figuring out what to do next, and some sighs of relief when you make it to

your destination. Learning Braille takes practice. Learning how to navigate

a computer with screen reading software takes practice, confronts you with

some stressful moments when your computer freezes up, and requires the

assistance of friends who can help you figure things out when you are at

your wits end.

      Cooking, or whatever you want to undertake, is similar. I'm always

asking my friends who are good cooks how they do this or that. I pay

attention to the details, to what herbs and spices they use, and what

helpful tricks or techniques they know. Of course, the internet is an

invaluable resource. Although I can't see what people are doing in the

millions of YouTube cooking videos out there, I can get enough information

to make a go of it in my own kitchen. And while some of my meals don't come

out the way I wanted, I can usually figure out what I did wrong and make it

better the next time.

      I've won a local chili cook-off the last three years in a row, and

the entries are anonymous, so I know people aren't just voting for the

blind guy. I've made great Italian food, Greek food, Asian food, Spanish

food-anything I can think of. Last spring a woman at church asked me to

cook Korean pork rolls (a dish I invented) for a special event, which I was

happy to do.

      When I was a teenager, I used to help my Dad work on his old '56

Ford. He had a special wrench that was bent at a certain angle for

adjusting the carburetor. He told me that having the right tool makes every

job easier. You can bang in a nail with a rock or a brick, but a hammer is

the right tool for the job, which is why I like a really sharp knife for my

cooking. When it comes to blindness, Braille, a long white cane, screen

reading software, an accessible smart phone, and blind friends you can call

on when you have questions-these are essential. With these tools, there

isn't anything you can't accomplish.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Amy Mason]

  Driving Blind on the Information Superhighway Browsers-Choosing the Right

                           Vehicle for the Journey

                                by Amy Mason

      From the Editor: This is the second article in a series intended to

help users of assistive technology learn to use and get the most out of the

World Wide Web. Navigating the web is possible, productive, and enjoyable,

but there are many parts to the puzzle, and this series of articles is

intended to let readers examine each piece and decide how they will put

together the system that gives them the access they desire to the vast

resources of the internet. With her analytic mind, her vast knowledge of

resources, and her command of language, here is what Amy Mason has to say:

      Welcome back! It's great to see you all again. In our last class we

touched on the history of using the web, the terminology of web browsing

today, and defined "accessibility" at least for the purposes of this

series. If you missed our first session, it can be reviewed in the January

2018 Braille Monitor.

                             Browsers-The Basics

      When people talk about using the internet, they are usually referring

to accessing websites or web applications (programs that mimic software

usually found on a local computer, but built to run remotely using the

programming languages used on the internet). Each computer is built to

understand several different programming languages, but each type of

computer system (Mac, Windows, Android, iOS) is pretty exclusive about what

they understand. Because the internet is built to allow all sorts of

devices to share all the same information, it has been built with several

languages of its own that are made to allow lots of machines to communicate

freely. Our computers don't understand these languages by default, so we

need programs that can translate the shared languages of the web into

information our computers can natively understand. That is the purpose of

the browser.

      In its role as a translator, the browser will read the information

coded onto web pages and other internet resources and rephrase that

information so our computers can understand and present it to us as

readable text, images, videos, and controls. The W3C (the folks who built

the technical accessibility standards we discussed last month) and other

governing bodies have created guidelines for the language of the web. They

have created rules for how things should be written and what the browser

should do to appropriately translate that information. However, browsers do

not all follow the guidelines perfectly, and even when they do, they tend

to do so in their own way with their own unique voice, (think of it as an

accent, or a regional dialect). They make sure that we can all basically

understand the language of the web, but each browser does so in its own

way. Returning this to our driving analogy, each browser is like a vehicle.

They can all be used on the road, but each one will take curves

differently, handle differently, and provide a slightly different driving

experience. Once you've learned one, they all work similarly, but each has

its own quirks you must understand to get the most out of them and even to

"drive safely."

      As blind computer users it's important to think through our browser

options and be open to using more than one. There are three major reasons

for this. First, we are adding an extra layer of "translation" in the form

of screen readers, to access information that the computer is representing.

We will discuss this layer in more detail later, but suffice to say that

each layer plays its part in our ability to understand and access

information. The web page is the road, the browser is the car, and the

screen reader is the blind driver interface. For the best driving

experience, the road must be smooth and well maintained, the car needs to

be in good working order, and our blind driving interface needs to be

receiving and passing on all the information provided by both the road and

our vehicle. Therefore, we want to find the car that will handle best for

the type of road we are driving on and will speak most clearly with our

information gathering tools. Sometimes the ways these vehicles/browsers

handle will affect our ability to access different sites so greatly that

they can make the difference between a usable and functionally accessible

page or even determine whether we can access some pages at all.

      Furthermore, as we also discussed earlier, there are dangers to be

found on the road. Not all roadside attractions are what they seem. Some

are fun and diverting, others a little seedy, but if you are careful you'll

be ok, while still others... ideally your car is fast, and has good

automatic locks. Otherwise, you may find that it, and your luggage

(personal information, computer files, etc....) could be hijacked. For

these reasons it is important to use an up-to-date and modern browser. They

contain fixes for known security flaws and provide you with an additional

layer of safety over older models.

      Finally, Henry Ford once said of his Model T, "Any customer can have

a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." Despite

this early pronouncement, today we can customize our vehicles in nearly

endless ways. Browsers are the same. Early browsers didn't offer much in

the way of personalization, but today most offer the user a great scope for

customization, which we can use to make our lives easier on the net. As a

more advanced topic we will cover customizations later, but it's useful to

know that some options are tailored to the tinkerer, and that even modest

customization can improve your experience immensely.

                          Test Driving the Browsers

      As we discussed above, browsers all do approximately the same job but

offer different advantages and disadvantages for the intrepid internet

traveler. Therefore, the rest of this article will focus on comparing the

different options available and providing some context on which of the

browsers are likely to provide you with the best experience.

Internet Explorer (IE)-'57 Chevy Half-Ton Pickup

Operating Systems Supported: Windows Only

Screen Readers Supported: JAWS/NVDA/Narrator

Obtained from: Included with Windows Installation. Default browser on all

versions prior to Windows 10

      In the song, "Classified," C.W. McCall tells an (amusing) story of

his purchase of an unforgettable vehicle. Here's how he describes it:

            And settin' right there in a pool of grease was a half-ton Chevy

      pickup truck with a 1960 license plate, a bumper sticker says, "Vote

      for Dick" and Brillo box full of rusty parts, ... Well, I kicked the

      tires and I got in the seat and set on a petrified apple core and

      found a bunch of field mice livin' in the glove compartment. He says,

      'Her shaft is bent and her rear end leaks, you can fix her quick with

      an oily rag. Use a nail as a starter; I lost the key. Don't pay no

      mind to that whirrin' sound. She use a little oil, but outside a'

      that, she's cherry.'

      As the song concludes we see our intrepid hero taking life and limb

into his own hands to get this relic out of the farmyard and down the road.

Sadly, our reliable old friend, Internet Explorer, has come to resemble

this pickup truck. Once upon a time it did most of our heavy lifting on the

net. It was never fast, but by brute force and persistence we were able to

use it to get an awful lot of work done. At the time, we didn't have a lot

of other accessible options, so we put a lot of miles in on IE.

      For this reason, many blind people continue to use Internet Explorer

as their primary, or even only browser. It's comfortable and familiar. We

know all the quirks and lots of little secrets to keep it rolling another

couple of miles, but it's just not fit for the road any longer, and we

really need to be looking to retire it.

      Microsoft has stopped active development of Internet Explorer. So new

features of websites aren't well supported (when they are supported at

all). This includes accessibility features. New websites increasingly rely

on behavior that we can't get out of IE, so our screen readers aren't

provided with the information we need to review them. Beyond this, it's

just not very stable on Windows 10 and tends to hang with alarming

frequency.

      Long story short, the only features of IE that Microsoft is putting

any energy into at all are security patches, and even that will come to an

end in the next five years or so. You don't want to still be reliant on it

when that day comes.

      As such, it is my strong recommendation that you consider one or more

of the other browsers on this list as your primary, and only use IE as a

last resort.

Firefox-Tinker's Toy

Operating Systems Supported: Windows/Android/iOS

Mac OSX support is available, but very poor for VoiceOver users. Best to

find a different option on the Mac.

Screen Readers Supported: JAWS/NVDA/Narrator/TalkBack/VoiceOver (iOS)

      At the time of this writing, recent updates to the underlying engine

in Firefox have temporarily degraded support for Windows screen reader

users. If Firefox is your preferred browser, you may wish to use the

extended support version of the software for best results. This version

will not be updated with new features as regularly as the primary version

of Firefox, but it will receive security updates. The download page notes

that it is intended for large organizations; however, individuals are also

able to download and use the software for their own purposes.

      Obtained from: Current https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Extended Support: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

      Honestly, I don't know that much about cars, so I can't say what

exactly we should be comparing Firefox to, but it exists. There are some

cars that are known for not what they are, but what they can be. Firefox is

the browser equivalent.

      A fresh install is... fine. It will competently get you where you are

going. It is engineered to be reliable, if not overly fast, secure, and

very good at following web standards. As it has offered real, robust

accessibility support for quite some time, many blind folks have chosen to

make it their primary or secondary browser.

      Firefox is an open source project from the Mozilla Foundation. Its

goals are largely to play nice with standards bodies and other open source

projects. As such, it works especially well when paired with NVDA (Non-

Visual Desktop Access), and Mozilla has even provided direct support to NV

Access to continue active development.

      Furthermore, it is widely supported across different operating

systems, and it is possible to sync bookmarks, autofill, and tabs across

Firefox installs on multiple devices. If you use several machines, these

features may be of interest.

      If this is where your interest ends, Firefox will serve you perfectly

well, but you can take it quite a bit further. Many users choose to install

extensions and custom elements which will extend the Firefox experience far

beyond that which is available in a fresh download. We will come back to

these customizations in a later article, but for now, know that it is

possible to make some extreme changes to the way this browser works. In

fact, more than a thousand of the supported extensions mention

"accessibility." I can't promise the quality of any of those extensions,

but at least a few are bound to be helpful. As such, if you like to play,

it may be the right choice for you.

      Even if you don't like to play, Firefox may be a solid choice since

it is overall well supported across multiple screen readers, websites and

devices. Unless you are running a Mac, Firefox would be one of my top picks

for a safe and reliable primary browser.

Chrome-The Toyota Prius

Operating Systems Supported: Windows/Android/iOS/Mac

Screen Readers Supported: JAWS/NVDA/Narrator/TalkBack/VoiceOver (both iOS

and OSX)

Obtained from: Included as default browser on Android. Otherwise can be

downloaded from https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

      Chrome is that browser that everybody seems to have and use. It's

reliable, easy to come by, and can provide a very nice experience. It's

relatively fast, secure, and available on just about every computing device

out there. The Toyota Prius is that car that tons of people have for pretty

much all the same reasons... except for its cross-platform compatibility.

(Strangely enough, most people don't care if their Prius works with

Windows.)

      Tons of people have it just because it's better than the default

browser their system came with, and that's good enough for them. Many

others have it because it is created by Google, and that's a name they have

come to know and trust.

      Its support for screen readers (particularly on Windows) is a more

recent development than with Firefox, so there may be occasional hiccups

you will notice if using this browser that you won't find in others. But on

the flip side, there are times things work better here as well.

Like the Prius and Firefox, there are lots of ways to take your browsing

experience with Chrome a bit further, though the out-of-the-box experience

is perfectly adequate for many users, so you can decide just how much

customization is right for you. Extensions are available to add all sorts

of features to the browser, including some which promise accessibility

enhancements. Furthermore, as a truly cross-platform option, with very

tight integration into Google's ecosystem, it can make traveling from one

computer to another very easy. Like Firefox, Chrome allows for syncing of

bookmarks and autofill information. In addition, many extensions will carry

across when you are signed into the browser, so when you get things just

the way you like them, you can carry the experience across to all your

other machines. Chrome even allows you to set up your own custom keyboard

commands, so if you want to take the time, you can get it feeling just

right. Even if you don't, you should find it will adequately meet many of

your needs.

      I want to point out a couple of technical notes which may be helpful

as you consider your browsing strategy. First, Chrome can be a bit of a

resource hog because of how it keeps track of the different tabs you keep

open. Each one is given its own separate chunk of memory to run in. Sadly,

this means some resources end up being wasted because each tab needs things

that on other browsers might be shared. But on the up side, it also means

that if things go sideways in one tab, you can just close it and not affect

the others you have open in the browser. Second, Chrome is the only viable

third-party browser for the Mac. As we've discussed, it's always good

practice as a blind user to have a couple of options available, so you will

probably want this if you use OSX.

      Overall, like Firefox, I would argue that Chrome is a keeper. Most

people will find that one or the other suits them a bit better, and either

can be a solid choice, so give them both a test drive and see what you

think.

Safari-BMW Mini Cooper

Operating Systems Supported: iOS/Mac

Screen Readers Supported: VoiceOver (both iOS and OSX)

Obtained from: Default browser on Apple products. Installed by default on

both iOS and OSX (Mac) devices.

      Safari, like Internet Explorer, is an exclusive. Unlike Internet

Explorer, it is still being actively maintained and improved. If you are a

heavy Mac or iOS user, you are probably already familiar with this browser.

It's what your device comes with out of the box, and for the most part, so

long as you play by Apple's rules, it works fairly well.

      That's really the main point when it comes to Safari. Apple devices,

like BMWs, are something of a "lifestyle" product. An iOS device, or a Mac,

are meant to be as much a fashion statement as a computing device, and as

such, there is a certain expected way that things will behave.

      The consistency born of this tight design control is part of why so

many blind people love their iPhones, and more than a few would fight

anyone who tried to pry their Macs out of their hands. The predictability

born of this high level of control has made for an environment where

accessible software can be tightly integrated with a screen reader

(VoiceOver) to very powerful effect. The BMW Mini feels very similar. It

has some unique advantages and is pretty iconic, but the moment you want to

start doing things in a way the creator didn't intend, things get much

trickier. For example, the Mini Cooper is known for its handling; in part,

this is because the company requires special nitrogen filled tires. Mac and

iOS are known for extremely tight integration, but you must use their

browser and follow lots of other rules to get the best effect.

There are a few extensions available for Safari, though the list is much

shorter than for Chrome or Firefox. Like those browsers, it is possible to

sync autofill data and bookmarks between Apple devices, but Apple takes

this one step further. When using Safari on an iOS or Mac system, you can

send the page you are reviewing to another device. Therefore, you can start

an article on your Mac, realize that you need to leave, and send that page

to your phone to continue reading on the bus. The other unique Safari

feature is the inclusion of a native "reader" mode. In this mode, the page

is simplified and restructured so that only the article is present on a

page, while all the noisy "clutter" of ads, comment sections, and

navigation are removed.

      One technical note to keep in mind for Safari is that, for best

results as a VoiceOver user on the Mac, you might find it beneficial to

enable full keyboard accessibility. For reasons that are not entirely clear

to me, some items that should normally receive keyboard focus when tabbing

do not in a default installation; as heavy keyboard users, we probably are

going to want to rectify that issue.

      Otherwise, if you are already invested in Apple's ecosystem on Mac or

iOS, Safari will do most of what you need on the web and can even provide

some useful additional features so long as you like the way that Apple does

things.

Edge-Tesla

Operating Systems Supported: Windows 10 only

Screen Readers Supported: Best support with Narrator. Partial support with

very recent versions of JAWS and NVDA

Obtained from: Default browser on Windows 10

      This brings us to the final browser in our lineup today. Microsoft is

not simply retiring Internet Explorer. Instead, they are working to replace

it with a new browser: Edge.

      Edge is... interesting. It's built to be fast, light, and clean, but

nobody really cares. Very few people use it, and for our purposes, there

are still some real disadvantages when compared to other browsers. In many

ways, it is like the Tesla. It is intended to be the "future," and there

has been quite a lot of work put into its appearance and performance. But

something is still not quite right for mass appeal. Tesla and other

electric cars just haven't been perfected yet. They take a long time to

recharge, so unlike fueling up, a pit stop on the highway is going to

require an actual time investment. This will affect what you are able to do

with the car. Much in the same way, Edge is on an experimental platform.

This means that things don't work the same, and we face real tradeoffs in

the way that features behave. There are even problems in speed and

responsiveness given the current interaction with screen-reading software.

      It's only available for Windows 10, which further shrinks market

share. With Firefox and Chrome readily available on the same platform, it's

hard to imagine that it will ever claim the dominance once held by Internet

Explorer over the browsing experience on Windows.

      Edge is likely to improve. Microsoft is dedicated to improving the

compatibility between it and screen readers. They want it to be adopted,

but even they know there is still more to do. We don't have a great deal of

knowledge about the future of browsing with this application, so it's out

there and available to try if you are feeling adventurous, though I

wouldn't expect to count on it for now. NVDA and JAWS support are both

improving, but neither are as robust as they are on other browsers,

(including IE) which makes it an awfully hard sell right now.

      In short, play with it if you like; the experimental nature of the

browser may provide you with access to things you couldn't use in the past,

but I'd keep something more reliable in the garage just in case.

                             Homework Assignment

      I mentioned at the beginning of this series that we were going to

driving school, didn't I? Well, you know how school is... you can almost

never escape a bit of homework. In that spirit, I invite you to pick a

different browser than you've been using from the list, and give it a spin

for a couple of days. If you already are using these browsers... what are

you doing throwing spitballs in the back of the classroom? Get up here and

help me teach this stuff! We blind users who are comfortable with

technology are in the best position to educate developers and other blind

people on what good access looks like for blind people and how to make the

most of these tools.

      If you want to learn more about which browser may best suit you or

you have other general access technology questions, feel free to contact

the Access Technology Answer Line at (410) 659-9314, option 5, or email us

at access at nfb.org. We want to help empower you to live the life you want by

helping you understand the accessible technology available now.

      Class dismissed!

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Sabra Ewing]

         Why Human Readers are No Substitute for Accessible Software

                               by Sabra Ewing

      From the Editor: Sabra Ewing is a newly graduated college student

looking for a job. She is a person who has many interests, among them

universal design, inclusive education, canine nutrition, and the Tutor

monarchy.

      On a number of our lists, especially those frequented by students and

computer enthusiasts, there is a long-running discussion about the way

inaccessible software can keep a blind person from achieving his or her

goals. In these discussions the use of a human reader has been suggested,

and a surprising number of respondents have rejected the idea. Some say

that a human reader is too expensive, too limiting, and too inconvenient.

Some go further and suggest that using a human reader is actually selling

out by failing to press immediately for accessibility, which is our right

as blind people. Many of us have suggested that the human reader is a far

better solution than not taking a class or the abandonment of a career

goal. While the human reader is no long-term substitute, we should consider

using one rather than being thwarted by technology. Some of us who have

used human readers for decades even assert there are times when using the

eyes and the brains of human beings is superior to technology, though all

of us hope that one day technology will be good enough that we will no

longer need to rely on someone else in working efficiently with print. At a

minimum, those who consider using a human reader believe it should be

another tool in our toolbox.

      Sabra believes this is bad advice, and she asked me whether there was

a place in the Braille Monitor for dissenting opinions. I assured her that

there was, so here is what she has to say about the inadequacy of using a

human reader to deal with inaccessible technology:

      The Accessible Instructional Materials Act creates guidelines for the

use of accessible, education-based electronic content. The act also has a

provision for alternate equal access that allows schools to provide access

through other means when the current materials are not sufficient. Both

school officials and blind people believe that a human reader can serve as

alternative access. They fail to realize that use of a human reader creates

diminished access by distorting cause and affect relationships in virtual

environments, demanding impractical knowledge of a visual interface, and

promoting dependence and distortion throughout the data analysis process.

      Let us imagine that a district serving a blind student is short of

mobility instructors. They cannot provide one for this student, but they

have the perfect solution. An instructor working with someone else will

call the student, who will listen as she describes pertinent features of

the lesson like intersections, safe street crossings, and proper cane

technique. As the student listens, he will mentally participate in the

lesson. Okay, so maybe it isn't the perfect solution, but schools do a

similar thing to blind students by providing a reader in place of

accessible software. A virtual environment has cause and effect

relationships just like a physical one. When you press a button or move to

another area on the screen, the environment changes. When you enter data,

the environment will respond. Because the process is very interactive,

allowing a human reader to control software for a blind student will hinder

that person's learning, similar to incomplete participation in a physical

environment.

      Some might argue that schools could minimize this effect by having

the reader serve as a proxy, following the student's exact instructions

from the beginning of software activation down to the last mouse click. The

problem is that a blind student interfaces with the computer nonvisually.

The student would have difficulty telling a reader how to locate and click

on an envelope or green arrow for example. Many blind students process

information in such a way that they could not direct a reader to such icons

on a constantly changing screen. Then there is the meaning. You can explain

to a blind student that an envelope is what you click on to check your

email and that a green arrow means next or forward like a green light, but

this process could potentially apply to every icon. For someone who has

always used a screen reader, it is not very intuitive or practical. The

school should encourage the student to focus on blindness skills that take

less effort and allow more independence instead of asking them to master a

skill that would take years of study and leave them dependent on a reader.

      One more problem exists with using a reader instead of accessible

software, which is that information will become distorted and less

available. A reader, even a trained one, becomes a control and a filter for

how to present information and what is important. This becomes especially

true with software simulations because it will take too long for a reader

to describe every changing screen, but the principle applies to all

instructional media including textbooks. Blind people have learned through

experience and training what information they can get with a screen reader

and how to ask for it. Further, the information is available when they need

it the way it is for sighted students. Blind students are not receiving

equal access when they have to learn at a slower pace, wait for recordings

or work around a reader's schedule, and create notes from scratch from what

a reader tells them when the school can provide alternative software and

file formats.

      In short, forced use of a reader in place of accessible instructional

materials will severely stunt a student's learning and success. They must

use software themselves to fully understand concepts. Additionally, schools

should expect them to perform from a blindness skill set rather than

mastering the counterintuitive skill of operating a visual interface. Equal

access also means that both blind and sighted students should have the same

independence and ease of use. We must therefore demand that where a school

cannot reasonably switch to accessible software, it must provide

alternative instructional materials to blind students that do not require

the use of a human reader.

                                 ----------

                    Lessons in Blindness Inspire Insight

                              by Scott McKinney

      From the Editor: This article first appeared on October 4, 2017, in

the Kanabec County Times. It reminds those of us who have been blind a long

time that getting to where we are wasn't easy, and it tells those who are

on the journey that they are not alone in their experiences and that there

is hope. Here is the article:

      I'm in a narrow winding stairwell, and I can't see a thing.

      The stairs are steep and make ninety-degree turns. Sometimes it seems

like there are two steps to a landing, sometimes eight, and sometimes a

dozen. There's no way to tell. I can't see anything, and the sounds I hear

echo in the empty stairwell, so I can't rely on them for direction. I edge

cautiously toward what I think is a stair-but instead, I step into thin air

and tumble, landing flat on my butt. No one is near, so I pick myself up,

say a few choice words, and start edging cautiously forward again.

      Excluding the choice words (maybe), in these fifteen minutes, I

experience what many people who are newly blind and learning nonvisual

techniques deal with in the early stages. You see, I'm wearing a blindfold,

using a cane, and learning what it's like to suddenly be blind.

       My new day job is at Minnesota State Services for the Blind (SSB),

supervising its Radio Talking Book (RTB) network. RTB broadcasts current

newspapers, magazines, and best-selling books to thousands of visually

impaired listeners throughout Minnesota and across the country. As part of

my orientation, I'm attending a six-week "Adjustment to Blindness"

training. SSB is Minnesota's only public statewide organization providing

services to those with visual impairments and thus has an obligation to

train staff on the essential aspects and experience of blindness.

      People with blindness have access to education, vocational training,

and recreational opportunities in their move toward first-class

citizenship. They not only participate but thrive in almost every

imaginable vocational field. Surprisingly, their biggest challenge is

overcoming the perception of blindness held by the sighted community.

      BLIND Inc. is a nonprofit organization that provides training for

adults, children, teenagers, and seniors with various visual impairments.

Located in the historic Charles S. Pillsbury mansion in south Minneapolis,

BLIND Inc. teaches the skills blind people need to live independently and

secure employment. Just as important, the organization builds the

confidence students need to put these skills into practice. BLIND Inc. also

offers a six-week "Adjustment to Blindness" course for professionals

working with the visually impaired. This allows me a unique opportunity to

meet and talk with potential RTB listeners, our "target market."

      I'm halfway through my six-week training, and there are two things I

know for sure:

      One, I will never again take any of my senses for granted.

      Two, I will never again think of people with visual impairment as

helpless, powerless victims of their disability.

      Most of the students at BLIND Inc. are young adults in their mid-

twenties to early thirties. Many of them are University of Minnesota

students residing in an on-campus apartment building. They deal with the

same issues as other students: weighing career paths, exploring interests,

and developing independence from families who sometimes "care take" too

much.

      On my first day of training, I was fitted with a mask and a white

cane which I must use during and between all my classes. The mask is the

more daunting of the two, as it eliminates all sight. In fact, all students

at the center must also wear the same mask, regardless their level of

visual impairment. This way, skills taught in classes are learned similarly

by all participants.

      Though I'm sightless with the mask on, it was tempting to "cheat" when

it occasionally slid up, uncovering part of my eyes. I'm embarrassed to

admit that my sudden loss of vision so disoriented me that I was compelled

to peek outside the mask a couple of times for a brief glimpse of sight.

But I'm no cheater-I haven't peeked since, despite hitting walls and

tumbling on steps.

      I'm told that relying on one's other senses, especially hearing, is a

normal adaptation when wearing the mask. But when students are milling

around between classes like in any other school, I become disoriented by

the wall of sound. When things get quieter, I'm better able to find my way.

      The white cane is much taller than the ones seen on TV and in movies.

Everyone uses one. Mark, the instructor of mobility who is also blind,

teaches his new recruits proper cane use-a light "pencil grip" for indoors,

and a more secure "open palm" grip for outside. "Your cane will help you,"

Mark says. "If you use it right and have no fear, it will tell you what you

need to know."

      While most other students glide effortlessly throughout the ornate

four-story mansion, I plod along, losing my way. Sometimes I stand for at

least fifteen minutes trying to locate a stairway that is literally right

behind me. "I'm frustrated," I tell Mark one afternoon. "I'll never get

this. I know this is just a sliver of what people with visual impairments

go through, but I'm terrible at this."

      Mark nods. "You're having the true blindness experience," he replies.

      BLIND Inc. students are extraordinarily understanding toward us

newbies and willing to help. Although dealing with visual impairments

themselves and wearing the same mask that I wear, they offer directions and

guidance. After one precarious misstep I quipped to a student, "Stairways

are my downfall." She didn't get it.

      "By the end of six weeks many of these challenges won't be so

'challenging'," says Dan, who is BLIND Inc.'s executive director. "The

stairs get easier, the sounds get easier. Veterans don't struggle as much

as rookies."

      School begins at 8:00 a.m. with a daily meeting, followed by a

session of light calisthenics. Then, classes are held throughout the

building: Braille, Technology Training, Home Management, Career Building,

Travel (mobility), and Industrial Arts. BLIND Inc. also provides a language

learning lab to those for whom English is not a primary language, where

currently a number of blind Somali students are learning English. The day

wraps up with a discussion session called "Seminar" that addresses current

events and day-to-day issues.

      Classes are a challenge. Expectations are high, and students are

given opportunities to try, fail, and try again. Most students complete the

program in six to nine months. During my first three weeks, I sat in on

graduation ceremonies for four students. The ceremonies are filled with

laughter and some tears. Classmates and instructors share stories and

encouragement, and each graduate receives a "Freedom Bell," symbolizing the

freedom and independence each has achieved.

      Each class has a requirement for graduation. In home management,

students must plan, prepare, and serve a meal for fifty guests. In Braille

class, students must organize an activity or adapt a board game for the

visually impaired. In Industrial Arts, students must design and complete a

woodworking project using traditional shop tools, with some adaptations.

      Even the most routine daily activities require some adaptation. "You

know what's really challenging about being newly blind?" I say to Mark.

"Going to the bathroom."

      Mark nods. "Ah, just sit down," he says. "No one's gonna see you."

      It's interesting how we "Minnesota Nice" people try to "help" those

with visual impairments. "I'm passing on your left," we say, or "I'm

holding the door for you," or "You're going to run into a bench," or

"There's a car coming down the street." One BLIND Inc. student says, "If I

seem to need help, introduce yourself to me, and ask me if I need it. If I

don't, I'll say 'No thanks,' and go on my way. Don't feel hurt if I reject

your offer of help, and don't insist that I accept it. I appreciate your

offer. Just say something like, 'Okay, have a nice day,' and go on your

way."

      I learned my own lasting lesson one afternoon. Mark and I embarked

from the center to practice outdoor cane use. The day was rainy, windy, and

chilly, and I stumbled back and forth to find the elusive door and return

inside to comfort. Finally I'd had enough. "That's it," I say. "I give up."

      Mark whirls around. "Never say that," he replies. "Never give up.

That's not an option. I can't give up, and neither can you. Never give up.

No fear."

      I've stricken "I give up" from my vocabulary. I don't say it anymore.

I'm not blind, but I'm less afraid of blindness than I was before.

Blindness changes how we do things, but doesn't stop us from doing them. As

Helen Keller famously said, "The only thing worse than being blind is

having sight and no vision." Halfway through my training, I'm beginning to

"see" that.

      To learn more about BLIND Inc. and its mission, visit them online at

www.blindinc.org. And now if you'll excuse me, I have a stairwell to

tackle.

                                 ----------

Leave a Legacy

      For more than seventy-five years the National Federation of the Blind

has worked to transform the dreams of hundreds of thousands of blind people

into reality, and with your support we will continue to do so for decades

to come. We sincerely hope you will plan to be a part of our enduring

movement by adding the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary in your will. A gift to the National Federation of the Blind in

your will is more than just a charitable, tax-deductible donation. It is a

way to join in the work to help blind people live the lives they want that

leaves a lasting imprint on the lives of thousands of blind children and

adults.

With your help, the NFB will continue to:

    . Give blind children the gift of literacy through Braille;

    . Promote the independent travel of the blind by providing free, long

      white canes to blind people in need;

    . Develop dynamic educational projects and programs that show blind

      youth that science and math are within their reach;

    . Deliver hundreds of accessible newspapers and magazines to provide

      blind people the essential information necessary to be actively

      involved in their communities;

    . Offer aids and appliances that help seniors losing vision maintain

      their independence; and

    . Fund scholarship programs so that blind people can achieve their

      dreams.

Plan to Leave a Legacy

      Creating a will gives you the final say in what happens to your

possessions and is the only way to be sure that your remaining assets are

distributed according to your passions and beliefs. Many people fear

creating a will or believe it's not necessary until they are much older.

Others think that it's expensive and confusing. However, it is one of the

most important things you will do, and with new online legal programs it is

easier and cheaper than ever before. If you do decide to create or revise

your will, consider the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary. Visit www.nfb.org/planned-giving or call (410) 659-9314,

extension 2422, for more information. Together with love, hope,

determination, and your support, we will continue to transform dreams into

reality.

Invest in Opportunity

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you

want; blindness is not what holds you back. A donation to the National

Federation of the Blind allows you to invest in a movement that removes the

fear from blindness. Your investment is your vote of confidence in the

value and capacity of blind people and reflects the high expectations we

have for all blind Americans, combating the low expectations that create

obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

In 2017 the NFB:

    . Distributed over seven thousand canes to blind people across the

      United States, empowering them to travel safely and independently

      throughout their communities.

    . Hosted forty-five NFB BELL Academy programs, which served more than

      three hundred and twenty-five blind students throughout the United

      States.

    . Provided over one hundred thousand dollars in scholarships to blind

      students, making a post-secondary education affordable and attainable.

    . Delivered audio newspaper and magazine services to 115,491

      subscribers, providing free access to over four hundred local,

      national, and international publications.

    . In the third year of the program, over three hundred fifty Braille-

      writing slates and styluses were given free of charge to blind users.

      Just imagine what we'll do next year, and, with your help, what can

be accomplished for years to come. Below are just a few of the many

diverse, tax-deductible ways you can lend your support to the National

Federation of the Blind.

Vehicle Donation Program

      The NFB now accepts donated vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats,

motorcycles, or recreational vehicles. Just call (855) 659-9314 toll-free,

and a representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation-it

doesn't have to be working. We can also answer any questions you have.

General Donation

      General donations help support the ongoing programs of the NFB and

the work to help blind people live the lives they want. Donate online with

a credit card or through the mail with check or money order. Visit

www.nfb.org/make-gift for more information.

Bequests

      Even if you can't afford a gift right now, including the National

Federation of the Blind in your will enables you to contribute by

expressing your commitment to the organization and promises support for

future generations of blind people across the country. Visit

www.nfb.org/planned-giving or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2422, for more

information.

Pre-Authorized Contribution

      Through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program, supporters

sustain the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind by making

recurring monthly donations by direct withdraw of funds from a checking

account or a charge to a credit card. To enroll, visit www.nfb.org/make-

gift, and complete the Pre-Authorized Contribution form, and return it to

the address listed on the form.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Anna Kresmer]

       The Library Leadership Forum: An Introduction to Open Libraries

                        by Amy Mason and Anna Kresmer

      From the Editor: Readers will know this dynamic duo from other

articles, the longest and most recent being a fictional visit from the

future by a ship of curious aliens happening upon the Jernigan Institute.

Their work is stellar, and so too is this article:

      The National Federation of the Blind was recently invited to

participate in the Library Leaders Forum of 2017, a two-day conference

bringing together librarians, lawyers, educators, technical experts in

accessibility, and representatives of the print-disabled community, which

was hosted by the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is a San Francisco

nonprofit with lofty goals. It is working to create a comprehensive digital

library. According to its website, "Our mission is to provide Universal

Access to All Knowledge."[i] It pursues this ambitious goal by working to

preserve the artifacts of multiple spheres of culture in digital form,

including software, audio and visual news clips, music, video games, and

even the internet itself through the Wayback Machine. In addition to all of

this, the Internet Archive has now turned its sights toward the humble

print book.

      The Internet Archive has a dream. It wishes to ensure that everyone in

the United States and the world can access all the paper books in

libraries, many of which are out of print. Unfortunately, the vagaries of

US copyright law have left a gaping void in the availability of books in

digital format which extends through most of the twentieth century. Due to

public domain laws, a large portion of the surviving materials published

before 1923 have already been digitized, and the majority of books

published since the late 1990s have been "born digital," meaning that they

were initially created in an electronic format. However, those books

published in the span of years between 1923 and about 1995 are largely

unavailable due to copyright concerns, low commercial interest for

republication, and outright confusion. Effectively this locks the knowledge

they contain between their covers. Many of these books now reside only on

the shelves of libraries, and in the current digital-minded world, if

something isn't available online, it is effectively invisible. This is the

enormous problem that the Internet Archive wants to solve and the reason

for hosting the Library Leaders Forum.

      Of course, gaining access to print books has always been of interest

to blind people, and the NFB has long been a leader in tackling this

challenge. Over the years, the Federation has been instrumental in the work

of ensuring access to information in both print and electronic form.

Projects in this space have included:

    . Urging the NLS to diversify the materials it makes available to blind

      patrons;

    . Creating the NFB-NEWSLINE., which provides access to over 400

      publications over the phone or computer;

    . Advocating for quality, accessible electronic books and book readers

      as digital books came to be embraced by the mainstream;

    . Promoting the development of digital formats with accessibility built

      in at the ground level, like DAISY in the late 1990s and its direct

      descendent ePub;

    . And finally, working with Ray Kurzweil to develop print-reading

      machines, a project started in the late 1970s that has developed into

      the KNFB Reader app and the very technology required to make the

      Internet Archive's digitizing work possible today.

Therefore, it is clear that although the project championed by the Internet

Archive may be a new way of looking at the problem, its efforts are an

obvious extension of the work the NFB has been doing for decades.

      In addition to the Federation's already lengthy history of work in

this area, the NFB has also collaborated with the Internet Archive through

our Jacobus tenBroek Library. From 2010 to 2012, the tenBroek Library

worked with the Internet Archive to digitize all issues of NFB publications

that had previously been unavailable online, as well as a significant

portion of our main research library collection. Titles digitized during

this project, which were either published by the NFB or were already in the

public domain, were made available to all users immediately and can still

be accessed in multiple formats including plain text and DAISY. However,

about five hundred digitized titles still subject to copyright (or with

unclear statuses) were largely kept hidden and only made available to

patrons who could prove that they were eligible for an accessible copy

through the Chafee Amendment. At the time, the Internet Archive had no

system for making copyrighted titles available to patrons. In fact, the

mainstream library profession is still working out how best to make

digitized library materials available to all users. But today, the work of

the Internet Archive has progressed, and solutions that were previously

unclear or unattainable are coming to fruition.

      The Internet Archive has always been at the forefront of dealing with

the issues of digitization, preservation, and information sharing. And the

Open Libraries project is both the result of its work so far and the

roadmap for the work that still lies ahead. The best description of this

potentially world-changing venture comes directly from the Open Libraries

website:

      "At the Internet Archive, we believe passionately that access to

      knowledge is a fundamental human right. Knowledge makes us stronger

      and more resilient; it provides pathways to education and the means to

      secure a job. But for many learners, distance, time, cost, or

      disability pose daunting barriers to the information in physical

      books. By digitizing books, we unlock them for communities with

      limited or no access, creating a lifeline to trusted information. The

      Internet Archive's Open Libraries project will bring four million

      books online, through purchase or digitization, while honoring the

      rights of creators and expanding their online reach. Working with US

      libraries and organizations serving people with print disabilities,

      Open Libraries can build the online equivalent of a great, modern

      public library, providing millions of free digital books to billions

      of people."[ii]

      To date, Open Libraries has digitized and made available approximately

2.7 million books through its online lending platform. It has seen over 3

million downloads in 2017 alone and has partnered with over 270 libraries

around the globe. Even without results like this, no stretch of the

imagination is required to understand why the NFB has chosen to

participate. President Riccobono himself explains that, "The Internet

Archive's proposal to digitize four million books would constitute the

greatest single increase in accessible materials for the blind since the

passage of the Pratt-Smoot Act, which created what is now the NLS, in 1931.

It would benefit millions of blind people, both in the United States and

around the world."[iii]

      The purpose of the Library Leaders Forum was to gather together the

groups who could benefit the most from this endeavor, as well as provide

the most support for it. This included early adopters, partners, and

stakeholders as diverse as educators, legal and copyright experts, the

print disability community, and librarians of all stripes who were tasked

with helping to lay the groundwork for the next phase of Open Libraries.

Attendees participated in working groups which focused on curation and

collection development, legal topics, service plan and sustainability, and,

of course, accessibility. The two-day conference stimulated much discussion

and enthusiasm among those present, and many, including the NFB, pledged to

continue contributing to the working groups going forward. After all, just

as the library in Alexandria was not built in a day, Open Libraries will

require time to grow into the accessible, comprehensive information

resource that we know it can become.

      Even so, there are benefits to be enjoyed today. Most excitingly, the

tenBroek Library is now a full partner in the Open Libraries lending

platform with over 1,000 digitized titles (regardless of copyright status)

available for circulation freely to any user who signs up for an Internet

Archive account. Further, a large portion of the materials available from

Open Libraries, including those pulled from the NFB's own collection, are

available in text DAISY format for use by those with print disabilities.

Unfortunately, at present there are some limitations in how these files can

be accessed. Titles which are still subject to copyright have been

encrypted with the same key used by the NLS. Therefore, users must have a

compatible hardware player which is capable of displaying text DAISY

content which has been unlocked for use with NLS materials. This has

obvious drawbacks, and the NFB is currently working with the Internet

Archive to find a solution that protects copyright holders and provides

meaningful access to all members of the print-disabled community, not just

those with access to the appropriate hardware. We will keep the members of

the Federation apprised as this work develops.

      In the end, the Library Leaders Forum of 2017 was only one of many

milestones in the shared journey of those organizations devoted to ensuring

equal access to information. However, we believe we will reach this

destination, and the NFB is proud to make this journey together with our

partners and friends from the Internet Archive. We look forward to the

adventures ahead.

      For more information on the NFB titles now available for digital

lending, please visit

https://archive.org/details/NationalFederationoftheBlind. Titles can also

be found by searching in the tenBroek Library's Blind Cat database at

www.nfb.org/theblindcat. If you have any questions or need assistance

accessing these books, please send an email to jtblibrary at nfb.org.

-----------------------

[i] "About the Internet Archive," accessed December 6, 2017,

https://archive.org/about/.

[ii] "Open Libraries: Everyone deserves to learn," accessed December 6,

2017, http://openlibraries.online/.

[iii] "Open Libraries: Accessibility for all," accessed December 6, 2017,

http://openlibraries.online/accessibility/.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Priscilla Ferris]

                           Priscilla Ferris Dies

                               by Gary Wunder

      On December 1, 2017, a longtime leader in the National Federation of

the Blind died. Priscilla was a woman who spoke with an accent that left no

doubt that she was from Massachusetts, and her bearing and manner of

speaking left no doubt that she was a gracious, hard-working, and

intelligent human being.

      Priscilla joined the National Federation of the Blind in 1973, and

ten years later she would become the affiliate president, serving in that

role for almost a quarter of a century. She joined the National Federation

of the Blind Board of Directors in 1987 and served until 2005. She was also

the winner of the highest award we have to offer, the Dr. Jacobus tenBroek

award, which was presented to her in 2004.

      Priscilla served for a number of years on the National Federation of

the Blind Scholarship Committee. I remember that she would tell scholarship

finalists that as a Girl Scout leader she could cut wood, build a fire, and

dig a latrine without breaking a sweat, and she expected no less from any

of them. That line always got her a laugh, but there was something serious

in it that was communicated to all of us: don't whine, come up to the line,

and live the life of a good scout.

      I had many conversations with Priscilla, but one stands out for me.

One day, after a lively discussion during a board meeting, she pulled me

aside and asked if I was easily offended. I had been active in that board

discussion, and I wondered if my youthful exuberance was going to get me a

well-deserved reprimand. I said that it wasn't my nature to take offense

and that I was able to take constructive criticism. "Oh no, sweetie.

Nothing like that. I have a funny joke that I thought you would appreciate,

but it's one you have to be careful about telling." I was relieved,

thoroughly enjoyed the joke, remember it to this day, but what I really

treasure is the memory of this prim and proper lady telling me a joke I

would never have ventured to tell her.

      Priscilla Ferris was as fine a Federationist as I have ever known,

and after allowing a few seconds to grieve for her passing, I think she

would want all of us to cut some wood, build a fire, dig a latrine, and see

that each of our brothers and sisters get to live the lives we want.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Fireworks light up the night sky over Cinderella's castle

in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World]

              Disney Research Creates Tactile Fireworks Display

                                by Grace Warn

      From the Editor: I am blessed to have an assistant who looks over my

work and catches my errors before they make it to our proofreaders-yes,

they still find some mistakes. Grace not only checks formatting, works hard

on miniatures, and is almost exclusively responsible for initially

formatting recipes. She occasionally writes an article, and it is with

pleasure that we publish what she has written about her favorite

enterprise: Disney. Here is what she says:

      It's been mentioned before that I'm a big Disney person, and part of

that includes following several unofficial Disney blogs and Facebook pages.

Lately a lot of the stories they've had have revolved around the new

Pandora attractions in Animal Kingdom or the upcoming Star Wars attractions

in Disney Hollywood Studios. But in the middle of October I saw one that

made me stop scrolling and immediately click to read it: a Disney Research

lab in Zurich had developed the technology to create a tactile fireworks

display.

      My first thought was, "Of course Disney came up with something like

this." For those who aren't the fan I am, Disney is one of the world

leaders in pyrotechnics. One of the better-known examples of this came out

of Disneyland Paris. France had strict noise level limits, and Disney had

to create an air-launch system in order to hold their signature nightly

fireworks shows. This time, though, there was no legal pressure on Disney.

They simply acknowledged that fireworks shows are primarily a visual

experience, and they decided to find a way for the blind and visually

impaired to better share in the experience. Disney Research put out an

announcement about the new interface on October 22, 2017, and the online

version also has a link to the full paper. Check it out at

https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/feeling-fireworks/.

      How it works is fairly simple: different nozzles and directable water

jets on pan-tilt heads spray water onto the backside of a flexible latex

screen. The variations in the water's impact create different shapes on the

front, simulating the various visual effects created by the fireworks. The

mechanism is modular and designed for easy transport and set up. It rolls

on caster wheels and is powered off a standard power cord for ease of use.

It sits in a plastic tray to prevent water leakage. The system uses a near-

silent, medical-grade controllable pump, while the water hitting the screen

makes a quiet drumming sound. The back-projected visual fireworks are

visible outdoors at night or in standard light conditions indoors, so

sighted family members can enjoy the fireworks display as well. And while

it was designed with the blind and visually-impaired in mind, I could see

how families with someone who has autism or other sensory processing

disorders would also find this a better way to experience a fireworks

display.

      The paper from Disney Research makes the point that most assistive

technology is designed for a functional purpose. That is, these

technologies are designed for performing tasks or being practical. The

tactile fireworks display is for aesthetic purpose, envisioned to bring all

crowd members together to enjoy the experience of feeling fireworks.

      Disney did testing with focus groups of blind people to discuss the

experience and also did testing with sighted subjects to measure the

correspondence between the visual firework effect and the tactile analog.

That testing "indicates good correspondence between the tactile fireworks

and the visual fireworks they represent. For sighted users the results

suggest that sampling the tactile firework show while viewing the physical

show in the sky is meaningfully multi-modal. For blind or visually impaired

users, the tactile firework show is an analogous and shared experience with

sighted users, in accordance with our goal of inclusivity."

      To the best of my knowledge and belief, no one asked Disney to do

this. Disney imagineers simply looked at their signature fireworks shows,

acknowledged that they were an almost-entirely visual experience, and said,

"How do we change that?" And, while it's not something available in all the

parks yet, I'm sure in the relatively near future a child who only knew

fireworks as loud bangs and booms that weren't really entertaining will

have the opportunity to be dazzled by the spectacular extravaganzas that

nightly light up the skies above Disney parks.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Joel Zimba]

                      OrCam: Pointing Toward the Future

                                by Joel Zimba

      From the Editor: Joel is best-known to many Monitor readers and

Federationists as the man who supports the KNFB Reader. Of course his

technical talent and his ability to evaluate technology and write about it

isn't limited to one product or even one subset of the field. Here is what

he has to say about a new technology meant to bring some of the benefits of

vision to those of us who are blind:

      We all have expectations of technology. If Apple's newest smartphone

were to arrive on your doorstep requiring a couple of hours of assembly

after reading a six-inch-thick manual, the backlash would be enormous.

Especially in the last decade, the trend has been toward the actual working

of a device giving way to the information or service provided by the gadget

in question.

      Wearable technology promises to become a part of your daily life; the

actual operation will be barely noticeable. The interface of the technology

itself will get out of the way and give you what you want when you want it.

We are certainly not there yet, but it is coming. My recent experience with

a product from OrCam hints of this.

      For the last month, I have been using the MyEye 2.0 product from

OrCam. This is a wearable device which will perform several services

whether on command or automatically. It is a clichi to refer to convenience

and ease-of-use as being "at the push of a button." With MyEye 2.0, the

button pushing is no more. Most of the services activate with the wave of a

hand or by simply placing an object in view of the MyEye camera. The

simple, real world gesture interface of MyEye makes it fun and easy to use.

For example, the feature I use most often is to check the time by raising

the back of my hand into view of the camera, as though checking a watch.

      The OrCam MyEye 2.0 device has a couple of major components. The

small head-mounted camera attaches magnetically to a mount which can be

attached to your existing pair of glasses or to the glasses which ship with

MyEye. A long cord connects the camera module, which also provides speech

output to the control unit. This is a box which can clip to a belt or be

carried in a bag. The control unit has a few controls including the on/off

button and is where the rechargeable batteries are housed. While the camera

mounts to the left or right side of your glasses, it is designed with an

offset which lets it look directly ahead.

      If this setup sounds unwieldy, I would have to agree. After having

spent considerable time wearing the MyEye, I just could not get used to

having a cable hanging down or tucked behind my ear. Fortunately, if the

cord becomes tangled, the camera easily separates from the glasses. It

clicks back in place magnetically with a satisfying thunk. Anticipating my

dissatisfaction with the form factor of MyEye, the excellent OrCam

representatives were eager to show me the newest version of their

technology which eliminates the need for the control unit and cable. The

next version of MyEye is no more than the camera unit itself and became

available in mid-December.

      By far, the most useful feature of MyEye has been text reading.

Rather than taking a picture of text with a smartphone, you can simply hold

a document in front of you and MyEye will begin reading after taking a

picture. If edges are not found, Reading can be invoked by pointing toward

the text to be read or by pressing a button on the control unit. While it

is possible to navigate the text, the results are ephemeral. Re-reading a

page is as easy or time-consuming as recognizing the same page again.

      I was pleased with the things OrCam would read which were not printed

documents. Room numbers worked often. Street signs proved to be

surprisingly easy to read as long as there was proper light and the sign

could be found in the first place. MyEye did not perform quite so well with

text on rounded objects like cans. This shortcoming is made up for by the

barcode recognition feature. A vast product database comes with MyEye.

While some barcodes are unknown, the names of many common products are

announced. Because MyEye is a stand-alone device, meaning it has no network

connectivity (more on this later), only the names of products are

announced. Preparation instructions or nutrition information cannot be

cross-referenced.

      For those times when barcodes or text will not suffice, MyEye can be

trained to recognize objects. I did this successfully with compact disc

cases-yes, I still have some. Spice containers also proved successful. The

training process involves taking three pictures of the object at varying

distances and with a changed background. While I typically identify such

things with alternative methods, the use of MyEye is a plausible approach.

      One of the challenges of this emerging technology is finding uses for

new functionality. The ability to identify people is just such a case.

After training MyEye to identify a few coworkers, I could have their names

spoken to me when I looked toward them at a distance of around six feet.

While interesting and fun, understanding how such a service would fit into

my life is difficult. Perhaps in the future the next generation of facial

identification would report the bearing and distance of a desired person in

a crowd. With a data connection, I would like to see this be able to

identify people without first adding them to MyEye by hand. Knowing if the

mayor is still at the far end of the bar seems like a trivial request, but

it is nearly impossible to determine independently using current artificial

intelligence technology.

      Interestingly, MyEye will guess a few details about unidentified

people, like gender. While frequently correct, this extrapolation is

allegedly made through identifying characteristics such as facial hair. If

these details were reported rather than culturally-based stereotypes

boiling down to a binary gender model, MyEye might be on to something.

      OrCam provides a couple of other services. Currency identification

works quite well with MyEye. I found it to be slower than popular

smartphone apps but faster and easier than using the bill identifier

devices. Color identification, which no device or app does well is just as

questionable with MyEye.

      This is not intended to be a thorough review of the OrCam product.

Rather, I want to discuss the features which make OrCam unique. Many of the

services provided by MyEye are available with other devices. OrCam has

brought these services together in one package and made a user interface

which is unlike any other. I believe the gestures such as pointing to text

or holding up one hand to stop reading are groundbreaking and will set the

stage for the wearable products of the future. Note that even with both

hands occupied, it is possible to read text. Imagine carrying a package and

wanting to place it in the proper bin. MyEye could make completing such a

simple task much faster.

      Where MyEye goes from here depends on who it believes its customer

base to be. Unlike previous software releases, version 8, which became

available in September of 2017, can be used by the blind. Still, it seems

to be geared toward those with low vision or the newly blind. Given the

aging population of the Western world, this is a sound marketing choice. As

mentioned previously, the newest incarnation of MyEye is a fraction of the

size and weight of MyEye 2.0. It contains basic Wi-Fi connectivity, which I

hope to see augment its services in the future.

      To learn more about MyEye 2.0 and other products from OrCam, go to

www.orcam.com.

                                 ----------

                         Independence Market Corner

      The National Federation of the Blind Independence Market is the

conduit through which our organization distributes our empowering

literature to our members, friends, and the general public. As a service we

also operate a blindness products store, which sells mostly low-tech items

designed to enhance the every-day independence of blind individuals. We

introduced some of the products which were newly available from the NFB

Independence Market at the 2017 convention and in an earlier Braille

Monitor issue. Below we have described the remaining items.

      Some folks still appreciate having a separate source for telling the

time apart from their smart phone, which may not always be at hand. A

Braille watch is especially discrete for checking the time unobtrusively.

We have added the Ladies' Two Tone Montiel Braille Watch to our product

offerings. This elegant Swiss-made watch features a gold tone, 3/4 inch

face with a chrome bezel and case and a two-tone (silver and gold tone)

expansion band. Simply lift the watch crystal, which opens at six o'clock,

and touch the hands to tell the time.

      We now also carry two more atomic talking watches, which will

automatically set the time once the specific time zone has been selected.

The time can also be set manually, should the user have trouble receiving

the signal. Both watches are black and feature a male voice, in addition to

announcing the time and complete date and having an alarm. The Digital

Atomic Talking Watch with Top Button and Buckle Band has a digital display

and a plastic buckle band. Press the green button on the watch face to hear

the time and date announced. The Atomic Talking Watch with Black Face and

Expansion Band has a 1-1/8 inch diameter, black face with white hands and

numbers and a black case and expansion band. The display on the analog

watch face synchronizes to the spoken time announcement when the watch is

set. This watch also features an optional hourly announcement. The two

setting buttons are recessed, which makes it easy to correctly orient the

watch nonvisually.

      We also added a couple of talking clocks to our product lineup. The

Talking Keychain Clock with Date and Alarm attaches easily to your keyring,

belt loop, or handbag with its clip. It announces the time and the date in

a male voice and features an alarm. The Loud Talking Desk Clock announces

the time in a clear, female voice. The time is also shown on an LCD display

with the numbers a little over 1/2-inch tall. Other features include an

alarm with snooze option, an hourly announcement, a twelve- or twenty-four-

hour cycle, and a high/low volume control.

      The Object Locator which includes one pager and three receivers

proved rather popular; we sold out at convention. When one of the three

buttons on the pager is pressed, the corresponding receiver unit will beep.

The pager remote can locate items up to approximately thirty feet away. The

three receivers can be turned off to conserve battery life. The pager

features a metal keyring, and the receivers can be attached to easily-

misplaced items with included loops, lanyards, or double-sided tape.

      We also featured a new game called Rummikub. This Rummy-like game

uses tiles rather than cards; the tiles are labeled in print and Braille,

and we are including the instructions in Braille. The game comes with 106

tiles (two sets of four colors: black, blue, orange, and red, numbered 1 to

13 plus two jokers) and four sturdy racks. Be the first player to eliminate

all the tiles from your rack by forming them into sets of runs of

sequential numbers of the same color and groups of numbers of the same

value. For two to four players, ages eight to adult.

      We also started selling a Beeper Box, the replacement unit for the

sound source in the beeping Frisbee, as a standalone audible beacon. If you

are looking for a continuous sound source, this lightweight, portable

beeper box may meet your needs. When turned on, the unit emits three beeps

followed by a brief pause before beeping again. The device has many

creative uses. Employ it for some mobility training situations, as an

accessory for sports and games, or even when bike-riding; your imagination

is the limit. You can tuck it into your pocket; attach it to virtually any

object with tape, a rubber band, or piece of Velcro.

      For more information about the products and literature available from

the Independence Market, visit us online at https://nfb.org/independence-

market. Our catalog and supplement are available for download as MSWord and

BRF files. You may also request a catalog in Braille or in print by

contacting us using email at independencemarket at nfb.org or by phone at

(410) 659-9314, extension 2216, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to

5:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Our staff will be glad to assist.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Dick Davis]

              Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: A Shining Example

                   of the Value of Diversity in Employment

                                by Dick Davis

      From the Editor: Dick Davis is the chairperson of the National

Federation of the Blind Employment Committee. He has had a long and

distinguished career in rehabilitation of the blind and has been a friend,

colleague, and partner. Words cannot overstate his optimism about what

blind people can do or the active way he has made his beliefs tangible.

Here is a wonderful contribution that was written during the Christmas

season and can encourage all of us as we work to make 2018 all that it can

be:

      Over the holidays, as I was reading the Little Golden Book Rudolph

the Red-Nosed Reindeer to my grandson Lucas, it struck me that I could use

Rudolph's story in my talks because it has everything to do with

discrimination and the value of diversity in employment. So here it is,

slightly rewritten to serve that purpose:

      Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer was a differently-abled animal who

faced discrimination and social ostracism because of his red nose. As we

all know, deer have beautiful shiny black noses. Rudolph's was shiny too,

but it was red-so red that it actually glowed! While this characteristic

might have been regarded as beautiful in some societies, it was a visible,

ugly deformity in reindeer society. Because of it, Rudolph was mocked,

humiliated, and disqualified from participating in reindeer games.

      To make things worse, Rudolph fell prey to this discrimination,

internalized it, and took responsibility for his misfortune instead of

realizing it was a problem of the larger society. Since he was isolated at

the North Pole Manufacturing Zone, there was no organization of disabled

reindeer to explain this to him. So, when Santa sought applications from

reindeer to pull his sleigh, Rudolph hid himself in shame until all the

candidates for the job had been selected.

      On Christmas Eve a sudden fog arose, no doubt caused by global

warming, impeding the progress of Santa and his team. But when Rudolph came

out of hiding, Santa immediately realized the practical value of his

"disability" and hired him as lead worker for the sleigh team. The other

reindeer, realizing that they had foolishly overlooked an individual with

the exact skill set to enable them to achieve their mission, welcomed him

to the team.

      Were it not for Rudolph, the team would have failed to achieve their

all-important Christmas objective, resulting in global disappointment to

all the good little girls and boys. But because of Santa's wisdom in

understanding that Rudolph's difference could be an asset rather than a

limitation, they succeeded. And they memorialized this organizational

achievement by creating a song which continues to be sung by children

today.

                                 ----------

            Constitution of the National Federation of the Blind

                               as Amended 2014

      From the Editor: Because the constitution of this organization

describes its purpose and outlines the policies and procedures that control

this democratically elected organization of the blind, the Braille Monitor

periodically reprints this document. Here it is as last amended in 2014:

ARTICLE I. NAME

The name of this organization is the National Federation of the Blind.

ARTICLE II. PURPOSE

The purpose of the National Federation of the Blind is to serve as a

vehicle for collective action by the blind of the nation; to function as a

mechanism through which the blind and interested sighted persons can come

together in local, state, and national meetings to plan and carry out

programs to improve the quality of life for the blind; to provide a means

of collective action for parents of blind children; to promote the

vocational, cultural, and social advancement of the blind; to achieve the

integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality with the

sighted; and to take any other action which will improve the overall

condition and standard of living of the blind.

ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP

Section A. The membership of the National Federation of the Blind shall

consist of the members of the state affiliates, the members of divisions,

and members at large. Members of divisions and members at large shall have

the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities in the National

Federation of the Blind as members of state affiliates.

The board of directors shall establish procedures for admission of

divisions and shall determine the structure of divisions. The divisions

shall, with the approval of the board, adopt constitutions and determine

their membership policies. Membership in divisions shall not be conditioned

upon membership in state affiliates.

The board of directors shall establish procedures for admission of members

at large, determine how many classes of such members shall be established,

and determine the annual dues to be paid by members of each class.

Section B. Each state or territorial possession of the United States,

including the District of Columbia, having an affiliate shall have one vote

at the national convention. These organizations shall be referred to as

state affiliates.

Section C. State affiliates shall be organizations of the blind controlled

by the blind. No organization shall be recognized as an "organization of

the blind controlled by the blind" unless at least a majority of its voting

members and a majority of the voting members of each of its local chapters

are blind.

Section D. The board of directors shall establish procedures for the

admission of state affiliates. There shall be only one state affiliate in

each state.

Section E. Any member, local chapter, state affiliate, or division of this

organization may be suspended, expelled, or otherwise disciplined for

misconduct or for activity unbecoming to a member or affiliate of this

organization by a two-thirds vote of the board of directors or by a simple

majority of the states present and voting at a national convention. If the

action is to be taken by the board, there must be good cause, and a good

faith effort must have been made to try to resolve the problem by

discussion and negotiation. If the action is to be taken by the convention,

notice must be given on the preceding day at an open board meeting or a

session of the convention. If a dispute arises as to whether there was

"good cause," or whether the board made a "good faith effort," the national

convention (acting in its capacity as the supreme authority of the

Federation) shall have the power to make final disposition of the matter;

but until or unless the board's action is reversed by the national

convention, the ruling of the board shall continue in effect.

ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS, BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AND NATIONAL ADVISORY BOARD

Section A. The officers of the National Federation of the Blind shall be:

(1) president, (2) first vice president, (3) second vice president, (4)

secretary, and (5) treasurer. They shall be elected biennially.

Section B. The officers shall be elected by majority vote of the state

affiliates present and voting at a national convention.

Section C. The National Federation of the Blind shall have a board of

directors, which shall be composed of the five officers and twelve

additional members, six of whom shall be elected at the annual convention

during even-numbered years and six of whom shall be elected at the annual

convention during odd-numbered years. The members of the board of directors

shall serve for two-year terms. Biennially, during even-numbered years, at

the first meeting of the board of directors following the convention at

which officers and board members are elected, the board of directors shall

select a chairperson from among its members who shall not be the same

person as the President and who shall serve without compensation.

Section D. The board of directors may, in its discretion, create a national

advisory board and determine the duties and qualifications of the members

of the national advisory board.

ARTICLE V. POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE CONVENTION,

THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AND THE PRESIDENT

Section A. Powers and Duties of the Convention. The convention is the

supreme authority of the Federation. It is the legislature of the

Federation. As such, it has final authority with respect to all issues of

policy. Its decisions shall be made after opportunity has been afforded for

full and fair discussion. Delegates and members in attendance may

participate in all convention discussions as a matter of right. Any member

of the Federation may make or second motions, propose nominations, serve on

committees, and is eligible for election to office, except that only blind

members may be elected to the national board. Voting and making motions by

proxy are prohibited. Consistent with the democratic character of the

Federation, convention meetings shall be so conducted as to prevent

parliamentary maneuvers which would have the effect of interfering with the

expression of the will of the majority on any question, or with the rights

of the minority to full and fair presentation of their views. The

convention is not merely a gathering of representatives of separate state

organizations. It is a meeting of the Federation at the national level in

its character as a national organization. Committees of the Federation are

committees of the national organization. The nominating committee shall

consist of one member from each state affiliate represented at the

convention, and each state affiliate shall appoint its member to the

committee. From among the members of the committee, the president shall

appoint a chairperson.

Section B. Powers and Duties of the Board of Directors. The function of the

board of directors as the governing body of the Federation between

conventions is to make policies when necessary and not in conflict with the

policies adopted by the convention. Policy decisions which can reasonably

be postponed until the next meeting of the national convention shall not be

made by the board of directors. The board of directors shall serve as a

credentials committee. It shall have the power to deal with organizational

problems presented to it by any member, local chapter, state affiliate, or

division; shall decide appeals regarding the validity of elections in local

chapters, state affiliates, or divisions; and shall certify the credentials

of delegates when questions regarding the validity of such credentials

arise. By a two-thirds vote the board may suspend one of its members for

violation of a policy of the organization or for other action unbecoming to

a member of the Federation. By a two-thirds vote the board may reorganize

any local chapter, state affiliate, or division. The board may not suspend

one of its own members or reorganize a local chapter, state affiliate, or

division except for good cause and after a good-faith effort has been made

to try to resolve the problem by discussion and negotiation. If a dispute

arises as to whether there was "good cause" or whether the board made a

"good-faith effort," the national convention (acting in its capacity as the

supreme authority of the Federation) shall have the power to make final

disposition of the matter; but until or unless the board's action is

reversed by the national convention, the ruling of the board shall continue

in effect. There shall be a standing subcommittee of the board of directors

which shall consist of three members. The committee shall be known as the

subcommittee on budget and finance. It shall, whenever it deems necessary,

recommend to the board of directors principles of budgeting, accounting

procedures, and methods of financing the Federation program; and shall

consult with the president on major expenditures.

The board of directors shall meet at the time of each national convention.

It shall hold other meetings on the call of the president or on the written

request of any five members.

Section C. Powers and Duties of the President. The president is the

principal administrative officer of the Federation. In this capacity his or

her duties consist of carrying out the policies adopted by the convention;

conducting the day-to-day management of the affairs of the Federation;

authorizing expenditures from the Federation treasury in accordance with

and in implementation of the policies established by the convention;

appointing all committees of the Federation except the nominating

committee; coordinating all activities of the Federation, including the

work of other officers and of committees; hiring, supervising, and

dismissing staff members and other employees of the Federation, and

determining their numbers and compensation; taking all administrative

actions necessary and proper to put into effect the programs and accomplish

the purposes of the Federation. The implementation and administration of

the interim policies adopted by the board of directors are the

responsibility of the president as principal administrative officer of the

Federation.

ARTICLE VI. STATE AFFILIATES

Any organized group desiring to become a state affiliate of the National

Federation of the Blind shall apply for affiliation by submitting to the

president of the National Federation of the Blind a copy of its

constitution and a list of the names and addresses of its elected officers.

Under procedures to be established by the board of directors, action shall

be taken on the application. If the action is affirmative, the National

Federation of the Blind shall issue to the organization a charter of

affiliation. Upon request of the national president the state affiliate

shall provide to the national president the names and addresses of its

members. Copies of all amendments to the constitution and/or bylaws of an

affiliate shall be sent without delay to the national president. No

organization shall be accepted as an affiliate and no organization shall

remain an affiliate unless at least a majority of its voting members are

blind. The president, vice president (or vice presidents), and at least a

majority of the executive committee or board of directors of the state

affiliate and of all of its local chapters must be blind. Affiliates must

not merely be social organizations but must formulate programs and actively

work to promote the economic and social betterment of the blind. Affiliates

and their local chapters must comply with the provisions of the

constitution of the Federation.

Policy decisions of the Federation are binding upon all affiliates and

local chapters, and the affiliate and its local chapters must participate

affirmatively in carrying out such policy decisions. The name National

Federation of the Blind, Federation of the Blind, or any variant thereof is

the property of the National Federation of the Blind; and any affiliate or

local chapter of an affiliate which ceases to be part of the National

Federation of the Blind (for whatever reason) shall forthwith forfeit the

right to use the name National Federation of the Blind, Federation of the

Blind, or any variant thereof.

A general convention of the membership of an affiliate or of the elected

delegates of the membership must be held and its principal executive

officers must be elected at least once every two years. There can be no

closed membership. Proxy voting is prohibited in state affiliates and local

chapters. Each affiliate must have a written constitution or bylaws setting

forth its structure, the authority of its officers, and the basic

procedures which it will follow. No publicly contributed funds may be

divided among the membership of an affiliate or local chapter on the basis

of membership, and (upon request from the national office) an affiliate or

local chapter must present an accounting of all of its receipts and

expenditures. An affiliate or local chapter must not indulge in attacks

upon the officers, board members, leaders, or members of the Federation or

upon the organization itself outside of the organization, and must not

allow its officers or members to indulge in such attacks. This requirement

shall not be interpreted to interfere with the right of an affiliate or

local chapter, or its officers or members, to carry on a political campaign

inside the Federation for election to office or to achieve policy changes.

However, the organization will not sanction or permit deliberate, sustained

campaigns of internal organizational destruction by state affiliates, local

chapters, or members. No affiliate or local chapter may join or support, or

allow its officers or members to join or support, any temporary or

permanent organization inside the Federation which has not received the

sanction and approval of the Federation.

ARTICLE VII. DISSOLUTION

In the event of dissolution, all assets of the organization shall be given

to an organization with similar purposes which has received a 501(c)(3)

certification by the Internal Revenue Service.

ARTICLE VIII. AMENDMENTS

This constitution may be amended at any regular annual convention of the

Federation by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the state affiliates

registered, present, and voting; provided that the proposed amendment shall

have been signed by five state affiliates in good standing and that it

shall have been presented to the president the day before final action by

the convention.

                                 ----------

Recipes

February is the shortest month of the year, but it is marked with a holiday

for romance. In honor of Valentine's Day we're taking a tour in the

archives for some recipes to make for your sweetheart.

                           Frozen Cranberry Salad

                              by Mary Jane Fry

      A cool and slightly tart start or side for your romantic meal, this

recipe first appeared in February 2004. At that time, Mary Jane Fry was

secretary of the NFB of Rhode Island.

Ingredients:

1 bag or 3 cups fresh cranberries

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained

8 ounces cream cheese

1 cup nuts (personal preference)

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 8-ounce tub Cool Whip

      Method: Chop cranberries and nuts. Add the sugar and salt to the

cranberry nut mixture and mix together. Thoroughly drain the crushed

pineapple and add to berry mixture. Let the cream cheese soften at room

temperature, and then work the Cool Whip into it until smooth and creamy;

then fold into first mixture.

      Place salad in a mold or freezer container and freeze. When ready to

serve, unmold and slice in serving sizes. May be kept in freezer for

months. Serve frozen. It will thaw during the meal and is very festive when

served on a lettuce leaf.

                                 ----------

                          Spicy Winter Squash Soup

                                by Katie Keim

      As a light first or main course, this soup will warm your Valentine

as much as a hug. It first appeared in February 2006, and was introduced

like this:

      Katie Keim is secretary of the NFB of Hawaii and a member of the

Honolulu Chapter. She enjoys cooking and baking for friends and family. She

reports that this recipe is a tradition at Christmas or any cold winter

night. Depending on guests' preferences, this soup can be made very spicy

or just very flavorful.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 large yellow or white onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 carrots, chunked

1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped

1 2- to 4-inch piece fresh ginger, chunked

1 stalk dried or fresh lemon grass

1 medium winter squash such as butternut, kabocha, acorn, or pumpkin,

peeled and deseeded

1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

2 cups water or vegetable or chicken broth

1 or 2 cans coconut milk, depending on how thick you like your soup

4 kaffir lime leaves, found in Asian markets (extra lemon grass and lime

juice can be substituted.)

4 limes cut in wedges

      Method: In a heavy saucepan or double boiler, sauti all ingredients

except liquids, salt, cayenne pepper, and kaffir lime leaves, and lime

wedges for about twenty minutes or until vegetables are hot. Then add two

cups liquid, salt, and cayenne pepper. Let simmer until all vegetables are

tender. Remove chunks of ginger and the stalk of lemon grass. Blend in food

processor or blender or beat with an egg beater until smooth. Add coconut

milk and keefer lime leaves. Reheat on low until soup is warm. Serve with

fresh lime wedges for guests to squeeze into soup to taste.

                                 ----------

                   Cereal-Crusted Chicken with Curry Cream

                               by Jack Mendez

      Keeping with the theme of spicing up the romantic meal, this recipe

first appeared in February 2013 and was introduced this way:

      Jack Mendez joined the LCB staff in November 2012 as director of

technology. He is a committed Federationist who is eager to share his

positive philosophy about blindness with others. Jack loves to cook and

experiment with all types of cuisine. He and his fiancie, Maryann

Topolewski, will be married in April. Jack made this recipe as part of his

meal for eight at LCB when he was a student, and it received rave reviews.

      Jack says, "Take this breakfast treat to a new level. You can use any

unsweetened cereal, granola, or oats when you want to explore new flavors.

(For best results place the cereal in a plastic bag and roll with a rolling

pin until coarsely crushed, or give it a quick spin in the food

processor.)"

Ingredients:

Cooking spray

2 cups crushed unsweetened cornflakes cereal

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/4 cup orange marmalade

Ingredients for Curry Cream:

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon curry powder

Pinch of paprika

      Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with

cooking spray. Place the crushed cereal in a shallow dish and set aside.

Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and brush marmalade

over both sides. Add the chicken to the cereal and turn to coat completely.

Arrange the chicken pieces on the sprayed cookie sheet and spray the

surface of each with cooking spray. Bake until the crust is golden brown

and chicken is cooked through, about twenty-five minutes. Meantime in a

small bowl whisk together the sour cream, curry powder, and paprika. Serve

the chicken with the curry cream spooned over the top or on the side.

                                 ----------

                             Eggplant Casserole

                            by Shirley Barksdale

      For a lighter or vegetarian-friendly dish during a romantic evening,

check out this recipe from January 2006, with the original introduction:

      Shirley Barksdale is the treasurer of the NFB of Georgia. She takes

medication for her diabetes and high blood pressure. She is a strict

vegetarian and is working to manage her health more effectively.

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, peeled and diced

1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup dry bread stuffing mix

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons diced onion

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

Salt and pepper to taste

      Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the eggplant in a medium

microwave-safe dish and cook on high (stirring once) in the microwave for

five minutes or until tender. Transfer to a nine-by-nine-inch baking dish.

Mix in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, stuffing mix, garlic, onion, and egg. Add

Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bake fifteen minutes in the preheated

oven. Top with remaining cheese, and continue baking for fifteen minutes

until cheese is bubbly and mixture is lightly browned.

                                 ----------

                                 Lemon Curd

                              by Barbara Pierce

      This recipe first appeared in February of 2010. A lighter dessert,

and one that will appeal to those less chocolate-oriented, this is how it

was originally introduced:

      Though it is now sometimes possible to find lemon curd in American

supermarkets, most Americans have never experienced this delightfully tart

and sweet treat. The English spread it on scones, but it is also delicious

over fresh fruit or as a filling for cream puffs or cakes.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar or half Splenda

1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated

2 large eggs

2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

      Method: Combine the first three ingredients in a saucepan over medium

heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is

light in color (about three minutes). Stir in lemon juice and butter; cook

for five minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon,

stirring constantly with a whisk. Cool. Cover and chill; the mixture will

thicken as it cools. Yield: 1-1/3 cups. Note: lemon curd can be stored in

the refrigerator for up to one week. You can easily double the recipe and

freeze half of it in a heavy-duty ziplock plastic bag. Thaw in the

refrigerator and use within one week of thawing.

                                 ----------

                                Chocolate Pie

                               by Kathy Jones

      Of course, chocolate is something of a traditional treat for

Valentine's Day. This light dessert first appeared in June 2003 and was

introduced like this: Kathy Jones is the wife of Tim Jones, the newly

elected president of the NFB of North Carolina.

Ingredients:

4 cups sugar

1 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup flour

1 can evaporated milk

2 cups water

2 baked pie shells, not deep-dish

      Method: Combine sugar, cocoa, flour, milk, and water. Cook over

medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. Pour mixture into prepared

crusts and set aside.

      Meringue for Pies: Beat four egg whites until soft peaks form.

Gradually add two teaspoons cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar, and a pinch of

salt as you beat whites into stiff peaks. Spread meringue on cooled pies

and bake at 375 degrees just until meringue is as brown as you like it;

begin checking after fifteen minutes. Cool on wire rack and then chill in

refrigerator until time to serve, or eat warm.

                                 ----------

                             Monitor Miniatures

      News from the Federation Family

Eligible Sprint customers can get a KNFB Reader Enterprise license for

free:

      Starting November 20, 2017, Sprint customers who purchase a new line

of service or eligible upgrade through Sprint Accessibility will receive a

free license to download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app on up to two mobile

devices.

      If you are a new or upgrading Sprint customer, you may be able to get

the power to convert printed documents into speech or Braille instantly and

accurately at no extra cost!

All you need to do is:

   1. Visit sprint.com/vision or a Sprint store to purchase a new line of

      service or eligible upgrade.

   2. Call 855-885-7568 and ask a Sprint Accessibility Care representative

      for the KNFB Reader Enterprise app.

   3. Sprint will provide you with the information you need to create a

      username and password that will activate your new KNFB Reader

      Enterprise license.

   4. Download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app from the Apple App Store,

      Google Play Store, or Windows 10 Store.

   5. When you launch the app, enter the username and password from step 3

      above, and you're all set!

      Please be sure to download the KNFB Reader Enterprise app, not KNFB

Reader for $99.99. The KNFB Reader Enterprise app is listed free in the app

stores and can be activated with your free KNFB Reader Enterprise License

from Sprint. KNFB Reader Enterprise allows users to enjoy the power of KNFB

Reader on multiple devices. Make sure that KNFB Reader Enterprise is the

app that you download onto your devices to take advantage of this offer.

KNFB Reader Enterprise works on Apple, Android, Windows 10 devices, and

Windows 10 laptops and PCs.

      You'll be able to use KNFB Reader Enterprise provided by Sprint. Just

download KNFB Reader Enterprise on both devices and use the same username

and password. For example, you can download KNFB Reader Enterprise onto

your Sprint phone, and also to your Windows 10 laptop. Or onto both your

Android phone and Android tablet.

      To learn more about the KNFB Reader Enterprise, visit

www.knfbreader.com.

      Happy reading from the National Federation of the Blind and Sprint

Accessibility!

Elected in Maine:

      The 2018 officers for the National Federation of the Blind Greater

Portland Chapter are: Leslie Landry, president; Gerard Landry, vice

president; Mark Hodgdon, secretary; Randy Bellavance, secretary; John Lee,

trustee; Sarah Bellavance, trustee.

Newly Re-Established Prince William County Chapter of the NFB Of Virginia:

      On November 18, 2017, after a number of years in hiatus, we re-

established the Prince William County Chapter of the National Federation of

the Blind of Virginia. A constitution was adopted and officers elected. The

board is as follows: president, Marc Canamaso; vice president, Oscar

Montiel; secretary, Alysha Hiller; treasurer, Mark Ross; and board members,

John Dubois and Andrew Hiller.

Letter-Writing Campaign to Request Accessibility from SiriusXM Radio:

      My name is Alexander Kaiser, and I am trying to start a letter-

writing campaign to SiriusXM Satellite Radio to convince them to create

fully accessible home kit units. Among the features that Sirius does not

currently have that I believe they should make available are: audible menus

for setup configuration, wi-fi settings, music genre, channel number, and

audible voice-driven remote control, and the channel guide and user manual

available in Braille for those who would prefer hard copy to electronic. I

would also like to encourage SiriusXM Radio to address the inaccessibility

of the current tabletop wi-fi and home kit units. The address to write to

the company directly is: SiriusXM Radio Inc, Corporate Customer Relations,

1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10020.

      If you have any questions about SiriusXM, its current

inaccessibility, or my suggestions for how the company could make its units

more accessible, you can contact me by email at ASKaiser99 at outlook.com, or

by phone at (848) 205-0208.

                                  In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor

readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we

have edited only for space and clarity.

Seedlings Adds Five New Books to UEB Collection for Older Kids:

      Seedlings Braille Books for Children just added five more books to

its UEB collection for independent readers. Three are new titles, A to Z

Mysteries: The Lucky Lottery, Cam Jansen and the Snowy Day Mystery, and

Nancy Drew #15: The Haunted Bridge. Two are popular titles converted from

the old Braille code: Superfudge and A to Z Mysteries: Detective Camp.

      This brings to seventy-two the number of books Seedlings offers in

contracted UEB for older children. Order today at

http://www.seedlings.org/browse.php?cat=12.

      Seedlings' nearly 300 print-and-Braille books for babies and toddlers

and beginning readers are already in UEB. Order at

http://www.seedlings.org/order.php.

Learn to Play:

      Come check out our new website where we have beginner courses for

piano, guitar,

ukulele, banjo, bass guitar and more! Our courses and song lessons are

taught completely

"by ear" so there is no print, video, or Braille to mess with.

      The lessons and songs can be purchased in either CD or MP3 format

which makes

them easy to use and travel with. Come see what we have at

www.MusicForTheBlind.com.

                                Monitor Mart

      The notices in this section have been edited for clarity, but we can

pass along only the information we were given. We are not responsible for

the accuracy of the statements made or the quality of the products for

sale.

Looking to Buy:

      My name is Melody Edwards. If anyone has one of these items and no

longer has a use for it, please contact me. I want: The Handy Cassette One

from APH, books or music on cassette, a double cassette radio, a Sharp

talking calculator clock, or a Franklin Language Master Dictionary. Contact

Melody Edwards by phone at (336) 893-6295 or by email at

infoprincess2013 at gmail.com.

                                 NFB Pledge

      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for

the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to

abide by its constitution.