[NFBNJ] Fifth Reminder State Convention Make Your Room Reservations Do Not Hesitate

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 31 21:21:55 UTC 2018

    Greetings to all!
With thrre months until the start of our 42nd state convention, there are a
handful of rooms remaining in the affiliate block.
Yes, the block is available until October 5 however, once the rooms are sold
out, they are sold out.
If anyone that has made a room reservation and can not attend, please do not
cancel your reservation.
Please call me as for the past several years, I will have a waiting list and
will make arrangements to satisfy both with a cancel and a room reservation.
Please read through the entire email as I am proud to announce that 80
percent of the hotel rooms have been reserved.
In addition, we are proud to announce Carla McQuillan, member of the
national board of the NFB and president of the Oregon affiliate, and
national director of the BELL Academy program as our national
representative.
Her biography is located after the informational message. Carla will be
attending to an affiliate conference call in mid October.  The call will be
open to all.

Again, get your room reservations made as soon as possible.

Note: The pre registration form, when finalized, will be distributed via
email and Newsline,posted on the state website and will be mailing those
that need the formed mailed.
Target date: Early September, with a possible earlier date?

warmly,

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations to Live The Life You Want!
            ****

Hotel Notes For Distribution Woodbridge 2018

Fifth   reminder:  Updates DistributedTuesday, July 31, 2018

As of this writing, 180  of the 225 rooms in our Block have been reserved!

Don’t hesitate, make your room reservations ASAP!

Greetings to all!

Fifth Reminder!

The 42nd state convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey,

Live The Life You Want; Blind With Vision will be held from

Thursday, November 1  through Sunday, November 4, 2018.

For early arrivals, there are a number of rooms reserved for Wednesday,
October 31.

There will be another function in the hotel and rooms will vanish quickly.

Don’t hesitate.  Please make your room reservations as soon as possible.

Note: As of this email, 180  rooms have been reserved!

Last year, the room block was sold out prior to the block deadline date and
therefore, DON’T HESITATE!

The room block deadline is October 5, 2018.

When making hotel room reservations,you need to secure via credit card.

There will be no charge to your card until you arrive at the hotel.

With this said, if  you are thinking about attending, if you are somewhat

positive that you will attend, not quite sure you will attend and to those

that know that they will attend, PLEASE make your hotel reservations as soon
as possible.

Note; if you can not attend and you have made hotel reservations, don’t call
the hotel to cancel.  Please call me at 973 743 0075.

I usually have a waiting list to review as many learn about the state
convention after the

date of October 5.  if the block is not sold out, the remainder of rooms

will be released to the public.  In years past, the block sells out prior to

the deadline and therefore, Please, don’t hesitate!

Note: If I  have’t mentioned it, don’t hesitate!  GRIN!

There are a limited number of refrigerators and if you are in need for

medical reasons,please inform the staff when making your hotel reservation.

In addition, there are a limited number of assessable rooms and if needed,

don’t hesitate, make it known when you are making your room reservation.

Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, 515 US Highway 1 South, Iselin, NJ, 08830

Note: If traveling via Access Link, please inform the trip coordinator the
following.

You must state that the hotel is in Woodbridge.  For some reason, Iselin

does not work as the location.

Cross street: Gill Lane

If traveling via train,  the station nearest the hotel is the Metro Park
Station.  The hotel provides a shuttle from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm

The address to use for those driving is 4 Gill Lane.

It is a bank that is across the street from the hotel.

To make your hotel reservations, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week please call

(732) 634-3600

Please use code: NFB

The best time to call is during regular business hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Standard Room

$106.00, plus tax.

Junior Suite

$146.00, plus tax.

Hotel’s room rates are subject to applicable state and local taxes

(currently 14.625%) in effect at the time of check-out.

       Breakfast Buffet included in rate for up to two guests.

Note: The guide dog relief area will be announced at a later date.

We are planning to distribute the pre registration information by early
September however, don’t hesitate to reserve your hotel room

As updates are needed to distribute, we will do so.

 Thanks to all as we continue to raise expectations to live the life we
want!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Distributed last week.

Meet our national representative, Carla McQuillan.

Greetings to all!

I am proud to announce that Carla McQuillan has been assigned as the

national representative for the 42nd state convention of the NFBNJ, Live The

Life You Want; Blind With Vision!

Her biography is provided below.

As my policy, I will invite Carla to a conference call probably in mid
October with our members to formerly introduce her to the NFBNJ Federation
family.

Details will be forthcoming.

****

Carla McQuillan

Executive Director of Main Street Montessori Association

Carla was born and raised in Southern California in the early 60's, the

youngest of 4 children. In the summer before fifth grade, Carla lost a great

deal of vision but did not notice it until she started school in the fall

and was unable to read the chalkboard from the front row. A few years

earlier, her older brother had been diagnosed with a rare genetic eye

condition called Stargardt's disease, which resulted in the loss of central

vision. It was soon confirmed that Carla had the same condition. She was

diagnosed legally blind in 1971.

Because of her remaining peripheral vision, Carla did not "look blind", so

she was not taught Braille or any other alternative techniques of blindness.

She had very little experience with blind people. The only blind person she

knew was her brother, and he was forever using his blindness as an excuse

for standing on the sidelines. Carla knew that this was not the life she

wanted and was determined to do everything in her power to convince the

world that she was not blind.

After high school Carla went to Humboldt State University in Northern

California. There she met her husband Lucas. They were married in the summer

of 1981 and moved to San Diego for Lucas's master's degree program. Though

Carla had not completed her bachelor's degree, she was more than happy to

put her college career on hold and work to support the couple. Her one year

of college had not been very successful. Without the ability to read Braille

and eyesight too poor to read print, Carla, who had been an A student in

high school, saw her grades drop.

She got a job as a Montessori Preschool teacher in San Diego while Lucas

completed his master's degree. Their daughter Alison was born in 1983. In

1985 the family moved to Illinois. Lucas enrolled in a doctoral program at

the University of Illinois, and Carla decided to complete her bachelor's

degree. With Lucas' encouragement, Carla asked for accessible textbooks and

decided to learn Braille. The staff at the university's disabled student's

services office told her how difficult Braille would be to learn and how

inefficient it would be. Discouraged and defeated, Carla wondered if there

was any hope for her future. Fortunately she learned of a scholarship

program through the National Federation of the Blind. She won a scholarship

from the organization's Illinois affiliate in 1988. The state convention

changed her life. Her negative attitudes about blindness and about her own

potential to be a successful professional were replaced by confidence and

self-assurance that remain a hallmark of her character today.

After both graduating with High Distinction from the University of Illinois

in 1988, the McQuillans completed their family with the birth of their son

Duncan. They moved to Oregon to be near Carla's family. Carla started her

own Montessori preschool, which later expanded to include 3 schools and a

Montessori Teacher Certification Program. Carla served as President of the

National Federation of the Blind of Oregon from 1992 until 2006, when her

business responsibilities became too demanding. She also served on the NFB's

national board of directors from 1998 until resigning from that position as

well in 2006. She was re-elected president of the Oregon affiliate in 2012

and still serves in that capacity. She is the director of NFB Camp, the

program that offers child care during the annual convention of the National

Federation of the Blind. Carla was again elected to the national board of

directors in 2016.

"I had such horrible misconceptions about blindness for most of my childhood

and early adult life," Carla says. "I thought I knew what blindness
meant,and I didn't want any part of it. The National Federation of the Blind
taught me that blindness was only as limiting as I allowed it to be. My
friends and colleagues in the movement have been more than ideal role
models; they have saved me from a life of regret and underachievement."