[NFBNJ] Reminder National Braille Contest Deadline Is Near

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 28 20:03:37 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Please review the following opportunity and share with others.

The NFBNJ has registered for this contest.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

****

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, in partnership with the
NFB Jernigan Institute and The American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults, again announces the annual Nation-wide Braille Readers Are Leaders
(BRAL) contest for kids. Students must be K-12, and must reside in a state
registered for the contest. Entrants compete to read the most Braille pages,
going against other students in similar grades across all participating
states. The contest runs for seven weeks, encouraging students to be proud
of their Braille reading ability and to work to improve their Braille
skills -- while possibly winning prizes in the process.

A thumbnail sketch of the contest:

*         For each student who enters, a certifying official (parent,
teacher, etc.) must fill out and submit a registration form. This can be
done as early as November 1 2018 and as late as January 19 2019.

*         Students enter in one of five grade categories: K-1, 2-3, 4-5,
6-8, & 9-12.

*         Participants record Braille pages read between December 1 2018 and
January 19 2019 on a reading log.

*         The certifying official must submit the completed reading log form
by February 2 2019.

*         Prizes in each grade category are: first, $25; second, $15; third,
$10.

*         Every contestant, whether a winner or not, will receive a gift bag
of Braille-related items at the end of the contest.

*         To get the complete contest rules, registration form, and the
reading log form, visit the website,
http://www.nfbofillinois.org/nationwide-bral-contest.

*         Both the registration form and the reading log form can be
submitted by email as attachments to Deborah Stein at dkent5817 at att.net
<mailto:dkent5817 at att.net> . Please put Nationwide BRAL plus the contestant’s
name in the subject line. Alternatively, you can mail to: Deborah Stein,
5817 N. Nina Ave., Chicago, IL 60631

*         In addition to awards in the five grade categories, Kelly Doty
Awards of $25 will be given to students who have met unusual challenges in
order to learn and read Braille. Such challenges include, but are not
limited to, having other disabilities in addition to blindness or being an
English language learner.

If you have questions, email the contest administrator, Deborah Stein, at
dkent5817 at att.net <mailto:dkent5817 at att.net>  (please put “Nationwide BRAL
Question” in the subject line).

Or phone 773-203-1394

“LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT”