[NFBNJ] This Monday is White Cane Awareness Day

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 12 13:52:34 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Please review and consider the following request.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

From: "Patti Chang" <pchang at nfb.org>
Date: October 12, 2018 at 7:58:59 AM EDT
To: Alwyn Glasgow <alwyn.bg at gmail.com>
Subject: This Monday is White Cane Awareness Day

The National Federation of the Blind will once again be celebrating White
Cane Awareness Day on Monday, October 15. This year is extra special because
we are also celebrating the tenth anniversary of our free white cane
program. Your support of this program has enabled us to distribute over
64,000 free white canes to blind people. Please help us continue to give the
gift of independence by making a donation on October 15.

White canes help blind people live the lives we want. The white cane does
more than tell the sighted that we are blind. It is a tool for freedom and
self-determination because it allows blind people to come and go on our own.
Since we can travel safely and independently, we can contribute in the
workplace, in our communities, and in society.

As I progressed through my cane travel training, I began to see both
physical and metaphysical changes. I was determined to gain the skills I saw
others employ with familiarity and grace. My face no longer tilted down
towards the ground. The warmth of the sun was on my face. I gained freedom,
I gained independence, I gained myself.

Join us in celebrating White Cane Awareness Day. Your contribution will help
fund things like free white canes, and help more blind people discover the
freedom of independent travel, confidence, and so much more. You can:
1. Visit our donate page at nfb.org/donate2018
2. Mail your contribution to: National Federation of the Blind, 200 East
Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
3. Share our message on social media by using the #WhiteCaneGiving hashtag
and directing people to nfb.org/donate2018

If you have questions or would like more information please contact Patti
Chang, our director of outreach, at pchang at nfb.org or 410‑659‑9314,
extension 2422.
THANK YOU!
characteristic that defines blind people or their future. Every day we raise
the expectations of and for blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. We can live the lives we
want; blindness is not what holds us back. Please join us in our work by
becoming a member, attending an event, sharing this message, or supporting
our programs.
National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230