[NFBNJ] BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning) Academy page on nfbnj.org

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 26 23:34:33 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!

Please read, review and share with others.
The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is proud to announce its
sixth Braille Enrichment for Literacy and  Learning, BELL, Academy program
for 2019.
The purpose of this email is to locate and recruit potential BELL Academy
students, make all aware of this valuable program and if possible, support
with a gift to assist the program this summer.

Again, thanks for your continued support to transform dreams into reality!

BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning) Academy

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey (NFBNJ) is sponsoring its
sixth BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning) Academy.

Where:

Puerto Rican Association for Human Development (PRAHD), Inc
100 First Street
Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861

When:

July 22 through August 2, 2019

Time:

9:00 AM to 3:00 PM (Monday through Friday)

Cost:

Free for blind and visually impaired children ages 4 to 12

Lunch:

Children must bring their own lunch

Transportation:

Must be provided; carpooling is encouraged.

NFB BELL Academy - Placing Hands on the Future

The NFB BELL Academy helps blind and low-vision children, ages four through
twelve, develop the literacy skills that will empower them to achieve their
academic goals and live the lives they want. This year, with the assistance
of our Wells Fargo partners, we provide opportunities for students to
imagine, create, and touch their future and dreams; by not only raising
expectations through Braille instruction, but by nurturing their development
of tactile arts and graphics. Through the generous support of the American
Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, each student participant in the
2019 NFB BELL Academies will be provided with an inTACT Sketchpad. To learn
more about the NFB BELL Academy, visit  <https://nfb.org/bell-academy>
https://nfb.org/bell-academy. Upon completing the application form, please
complete the student permission and release forms at
<https://archive.nfb.org/bell-permission-and-release-forms>
https://archive.nfb.org/bell-permission-and-release-forms.

To see a Flyer please click on the link below:

*          <https://www.nfbnj.org/Images/2019NFBNJ-BELLAcademyFlyer.jpg>
2019 NFBNJ BELL Academy Flyer (JPG Image File)

Thank you for getting the word out and thank you to The Allergan Foundation
for transforming dreams into reality with your generous grant!

BELL Academy Pictures

To view all pictures and videos from current and previous BELL Academy
programs, please visit our  <https://www.nfbnj.org/bell-academy/pictures>
BELL Academy Pictures page.

NFBNJ Code of Conduct & Sexual Abuse, Molestation and Harassment Prevention
Policy

The  <https://www.nfbnj.org/code-of-conduct> National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey Code of Conduct and the
<https://www.nfbnj.org/sexual-abuse-and-molestation-prevention-policy>
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Sexual Abuse, Molestation and
Harassment Prevention Policy will apply to our gatherings during the BELL
Academy.

BELL Academy Sponsorship Request for 2019

You Can Help Sponsor This Summer's BELL Academy
>From Ice Cream to T-Shirts, Braille Paper to Pizza

Please consider the opportunity to help sponsor some part of the Braille
Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy this summer. The dates
and location for the 2019 BELL Academy program are July 22 to August 2 in
Perth Amboy.

The BELL Academy is a two-week program for vision impaired and blind
children ages 4 through 12, many of whom have had minimal exposure to
braille. The program presents opportunities to enhance braille and blindness
skills. Instruction in activities of daily living furthers the children's
independence and self-sufficiency. Blind mentors and volunteers provide
excellent role models, keeping expectations high and proving that blindness
is not the characteristic that defines one's future. All BELL Academy
children receive a free white cane and a free slate and stylus from the
National Federation of the Blind.

Please review and consider the following list of sponsorships. Thank you.

*         $200 Tee shirts for all participants

*         $200 Supplies for arts and crafts

*         $150 Christmas in July party with Santa

*         $100 Louis Braille birthday party

*         $100 Various games: Twister, Bingo, etc.

*         $50 Ice cream at the beach

*         $30 Mid-week pizza party

*         $30 Braille paper

*         $20 Dark lined paper

*         $15 20/20 pens

*         $10 Snacks per day

*         $5 Water for each day

Sponsorship for Tactile Graphic Products

Competence in understanding and using tactile/raised-line illustrations is
critical for blind children both for academic and expressive needs. Thanks
to the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, each BELL Academy
program will receive an InTact Sketch Pad electric eraser and all of the
students will receive inTACT Sketchpads. The following four items promote
this important but often less-recognized subject area.

1.       4 or more Sensational Graphics Blackboards at $49.95. Here's a
short video:  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E

2.       3D Doodler Pens, $100 each with "ink" strands. More packs of "ink
strands" cost $12.00 for a 25-pack.

3.       Additional InTact Sketch Pad electric erasers, $150 each

4.       InTact Sketch Pad paper: 100 sheets for $24.00

Note: We have received several sponsorships prior to this posting, and we
thank those that have made the donation.

Once again, thanks for your interest and support to drive the BELL Academy
vehicle along the road to literacy and learning for blind children.
Together, with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

Please make checks payable to NFBNJ and mail to:

Joe Ruffalo, President
254 Spruce Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

In the memo, please write "BELL." Any sponsorship in any amount will be
appreciated.

Additional Information

To learn more about the NFB of New Jersey BELL Academy program, please read
the affiliate-specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for New Jersey at
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy/new-jersey>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy/new-jersey. For more
information, please contact Mary Jo Partyka, our state BELL coordinator, at
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com or by phone at 609-888-5459.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net