[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: Notes 05 From NFBNJ President Ruffalo April 28 2020

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 01:28:13 UTC 2020

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Greetings to all!

As we approach the month of May, the season of flowers blooming, lawns
turning green, spring cleaning emails to continue to read and the
opportunity to participate on numerous Zoom and conference calls, we
continue to raise the expectations to live the life we want by transforming
dreams into reality!

Judy and I are hopeful that the next months will bring much good for all to
applaud.

Remember: To keep informed, please visit the following New Jersey website.

www.covid19.nj.gov

In addition, for state resources in your county, dial 211.

Updated information is available on the National Federation of the Blind
Website.  We have provided the following information, please share.

COVID-19 Resources
The National Federation of the Blind is closely monitoring the COVID-19
emergency, which is changing everyone’s lives but has unique effects on
blind people. The health and safety of all of our members, colleagues, and
friends is always our top priority. Information on the NFB’s COVID-19
Resources page, www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources, provides resources
that may be particularly useful to blind people facing challenges during the
emergency. If you have found other resources that you believe are useful,
please email the information to communicationsteam at nfb.org For the latest
happenings with the NFB surrounding COVID-19, please visit www.nfb.org.

***

Items of Interest:

1. President Riccobono’s Monthly Release

2. National Convention Goes Virtual

3. Completing The Census Via Screenreaders

1.     President Riccobono’s Monthly Release, Friday, May 1, 2020, at 8:00
p.m. EDT via Zoom

Join President Mark Riccobono as he delivers the May Presidential Release
(#494) of the National Federation of the Blind. The presidential release is
a monthly message delivered by the elected President of the organized blind
movement that is intended to be played at every local chapter meeting.
Closed captions will be provided.

Submit Questions Now
After the remarks from President Riccobono, the organization's first vice
president, Pam Allen, will moderate questions. Members of the Federation are
encouraged to attend and nonmembers are warmly welcomed. This is a unique
national forum to share the work of the organization and answer questions
that might be on the minds of blind Americans. Send your questions in
advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR494 in the subject line or call
410-659-9314, extension 2473.

Join the Zoom Meeting
Save the date and time. Below are the Zoom details to join the call. For an
accessible tutorial of the Zoom platform to learn how to join on the web,
app, or phone, access the audiobook, Meet Me in the Cloud.

Meeting ID: 935 0745 1766

Web
https://zoom.us/j/93507451766

One tap mobile
+16468769923

Meeting Code number: 935 0745 1766

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923

Meeting ID: 935 0745 1766

We look forward to your participation.

*****

2.           National Federation of the Blind 2020 Convention Goes Virtual

Unique Event to Present the 2020 View on Blindness

Baltimore, Maryland (April 10, 2020): The National Federation of the Blind
will hold its national convention beginning July 14, 2020 with virtual
events and local, in-person gatherings where appropriate. The convention was
originally scheduled to take place in Houston, Texas. The change of plans is
the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The National Federation of the Blind is delighted to celebrate our
eightieth year by expanding the circle of participation to create what will
surely be the largest gathering of the blind in history,” said Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “Through this
unique event, we will connect blind Americans from anywhere to build
opportunities everywhere. We look forward to spreading the 2020 view on
blindness to the entire nation and beyond.”

The latest details of the convention, as they become available, will be
posted at nfb.org/convention. There will be multiple ways to participate,
including in-person gatherings to enjoy convention events organized by the
Federation’s affiliates and chapters, subject to any local social distancing
restrictions still in place. Participants can also like the National
Federation of the Blind on Facebook or follow @NFB_Voice on Twitter. Talk
about the 2020 convention on social media using #NFB20.

****

3.     Video on Completing Census with Screen Reader

The Colorado Center for the Blind has produced a 10 minute video on
completing the online census with a screen reader:

https://bit.ly/2VsDFiG