[NFBNJ] National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey: Minutes from the June 6, 2020 Diabetic Committee Meeting and Agenda for the Meeting on Thursday, September 3 at 8:00 p.m.

Ellen Sullivan ems553 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 00:17:56 UTC 2020

Please note-Ed Godfrey and Angela Perone invite all to attend this
informative meeting. Be well and be safe. Ellen

Subject: National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey: Minutes from the
June 6, 2020 Diabetic Committee Meeting and Agenda for the Meeting on
Thursday, September 3 at 8:00 p.m.

>From the Desk of Ed Godfrey, Chairman of the Diabetic Committee, National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Submitted by Ellen Sullivan, Affiliate Secretary

Greetings to All!

Here are the minutes from the June 6, 2020 Diabetic Committee meeting as
well as the agenda for the Thursday, September 3, 2020 meeting at 8:00 p.m.
by conference call

Call:  605 468 8005

Code: 460994

NFBNJ Diabetic committee meeting was called to order by Committee chair Ed
Godfrey at 1:50 pm.

Members and guest in attendance:

Committee Chair: Ed Godfrey, Co-Chair Angela Perone, State president Joe
Ruffalo, Ward Biondi, Cynthia Jones, Sandra Ford, Harvey and Linda Levine,
Don Wardlow, and guest Lester Cameron.

The following issues were discussed.

1.  Ed and Angela welcomed all to the meeting we also welcomed new member
Sandra Ford who is a member of the Garden State Chapter.

2.  Jocelyn was supposed to give a presentation on prediabetes.  However,
she had a doctor's appointment and had to cancel.

3.  NFBNJ Affiliate President Joe Ruffalo talked to us about the following
issues:

a.  NFB National Convention to be held on July 14 through July 18.

b. NFBNJ State Convention which will be held on November 5 through 8.

c.  Joe also talked about the three town hall meetings held on May 23 with
Dr. Davis from the Commission for the Blind (CBVI);  June 24 Book Share
meeting and the June 30 Local Transportation meeting.

d.  Joe also talk to us about accessible voting.

e.  There are Lyft codes available through the end of June. Contact Linda
Melendez for further details.

4.  As we had no formal topic this month, Members and guest shared personal
feelings dealing with the corona virus.  Some in the group shared their
frustrations with controlling their diabetes, difficulty in not being able
to get out and exercise, diet, and weight gain and even feelings of
depression during this tough time.  Lester told the group that even his
guide dog was affected from not getting out enough.  Lester also said that
if anyone needed someone to talk to, they could call him at 1-470-253-7186
.

5.  Ed shared information from an email sent around by Jane regarding a
books available from The Library for the Blind,  called Managing Diabetes
DB98915.  The talking book and braille center is not distributing books at
this time.  This prompted a discussion as to how we can acquire this book as
well as how we can distribute books and our monthly minutes. Some of our
members do not have access to a computer and still others are either
unfamiliar with the procedure for downloading books from the library for the
blind.  I suggested perhaps we could copy books and convert the minutes into
audio format and copy them to a thumb drive.  Angela said that perhaps we
should use some of the money that is being held by the state to purchase
thumb drives.  While we did not know whether we could make a motion as a
committee Angela made a motion to allocate up to $200 for the purchase of
thumb drives.  The motion was seconded by Harvey and passed.  Angela said
that she would talk to Jane about purchasing thumb drives.  Ed said that he
would talk to State President Joe Ruffalo for the procedure for acquiring
thumb drives.

6.  Finally, the group decided to have our next meeting on our regular time
of Thursday, September 3 at 8:00 P. M.

7.  The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 P. M.

Notes written by Angela Perone, Co-Chair Diabetic Committee, NFBNJ

Thanks to Lester for making the reminder calls!

Minutes reviewed and submitted by Ed Godfrey Chairman Diabetic Committee,

NFBNJ

****

Agenda for the Thursday, September 3 meeting at 8:00 P. M.

Call:  605 468 8005

Code: 460994

1.  Welcome Ed Godfrey and Angela Perone

2.  Role call

3.  NFB pledge

4.  Notes from the NFB National Convention

5.  NFBNJ State Convention update

6.  Presidential release information

7.  Continue discussion on getting books and minutes from last meeting

8.  Jocelyn presenting topic on Prediabetes.  What is it and how to prevent
it.

9.  National and state diabetes Listservs

10.  Adjourn

Here are the links for the New Jersey  and National listservs.

New Jersey diabetic Listserv

National Diabetic Action  Network