[NFBNJ] Notes from Accessible Voting Webinar 8-27-2020 All Should Save

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 30 21:38:52 UTC 2020

GAttendtion to all chapter/division presidents, please have as an agenda
item for your upcoming calls.

reetings to all!
Thanks to Ellen Sullivan who attended the webinar pertaining to voting for
the national election.
Please read carefully, share with others and save for reference.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

From: Ellen Sullivan
To: Joe Ruffalo ; 'Linda Melendez' ; 'Richard Fox' ;
debbiebloomer at comcast.net ; rysteve at comcast.net ; Mary Jo Partyka ;
macbiggers at yahoo.com ; 'Dan Facchini' ; 'Phil Harrison' ; 'Linda
Deberardinis' ; Annemarie Cooke ; Jane Degenshein ; 'Jonathan Zobek'
Cc: Ellen
Subject: Notes from Accessible Voting Webinar 8-27-2020

Accessible Voting Webinar August 27, 2020

Presented by Mary Ciccone, Director of Policy/CAP & PAVA Coordinator,
Disability Rights New Jersey

Contacts:  mciccone at drnj.org      1 800 922 7233

She was also assisted by Chris Miller

Key Highlights:

Due to Covid-19 our November 3, 2020 Elections will be run similar to the
July Primary elections:

                Every Registered Voter will receive a mail in ballot.

Provisions are being made for electronic ballots however these must be
printed, signed, and mailed in.

We will be voting for : President, all our House Members, one senator; a
state ballot issue on the legalization of marijuana as well as local races.

Eligibility to vote:

Age 18

US Citizen

Not currently incarcerated for a felony

MUST BE A REGISTERED VOTER BY OCTOBER 13, 2020

Please do check on your registration at:  NJ Division of Elections
(www.njelections.org)

Use this site to register if you are not registered.

Fill out voter application and drop off in the mail ASAP. You can also
register at your local Motor Vehicle Commission (MCV) (Not advised).

Mary expects that there will be access to register for on-line voting by
September 4.  (i.e. to complete your ballot electronically)  This is being
voted in the legislature today. You will apply for this by contacting your
County Clerk and letting them know you have a disability and want to be able
to access your ballot electronically. Electronic ballots must be hand signed
and mailed in.

On Election day each county will have at least 10 polling places. Accessible
voting machines should be available at each of these locations. On November
3 voting is from 6 am to 8 pm.

This voting is considered “Provisional” since all residents in NJ will be
sent a mail in ballot and they need to ensure there is no voting fraud. Cast
only ONE vote!

The same email address above can be used to find your voting place.

If you want to call to assure your ballot has been counted call:  1 877 NJ
Voter (877 658 6837)

If you have a problem contact Disability Rights (Mary’s phone # above).

Note: all ballots must be properly completed and signed. If signatures don’t
agree there will be a  “curing process” where you will be given the
opportunity to validate yourself. Please seek help if you need it.
Everything needs to be done properly to ensure the integrity of your vote.

Ballots must be postmarked by 8 pm on November 3. So, get them in ASAP.
There will be drop off boxes in the communities and these will be secure.
Polling places will have drop off ballot boxes also.

The Board of Elections has seven days to complete counting of mail in
ballots.

Problems on election day call:

866 493 0023 (7 am to 8 pm)

DRNJ:  800 922 7233 or 609 292 9714 (normal business hours)

Mary encouraged all to vote by mail and follow the instructions
meticulously. Remember the deadline to register to vote in the November
election is October 13. So, VOTE!!

(Approximately 62 participants).

Notes taken by Ellen Sullivan, NFBNJ