[NFBNJ] NFBNJ President Linda Melendez Items of Interest for Week Ending December 5, 2020

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Dec 2 22:47:11 UTC 2020

Greetings all,

Hope this email finds you and your loved ones doing well. I have
highlighted several items of interest and details of upcoming events for
your consideration. Please read the entire email, if found worthy consider
participating and sharing with others.

1. NFB Open House Gathering Calls for non-members

2. NFBNJ Distribution List

3. Chapters and Divisions

4. Senior Division Book Club Wednesday, December 9 at 6 PM

5. Access Link Town Hall Tuesday, December 15 at 7 PM

6. NABS At Large Seminar,  registration  deadline Tuesday, December 15

7. Fellowship gathering Saturday, December 19 at 10 AM

Warmly, Linda Melendez, President  National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey 732-421-7063 Email: president at nfbnj.org

1. Open House Gathering Calls for Non-Members

Dispel the myths and gossip you may have heard about what it means to be a
member of the National Federation of the Blind. The NFB invites
blind,deafblind and visually impaired people to learn more about being a
member and the benefits of membership.Hear information about the NFB
directly from the source: leaders and other active Federationists about
philosophy and projects and programs. y, and purpose.

The next one-hour “open house” call is set for Sunday, December 13 at 8
p.m. Eastern Time. Sign up for the open house gathering call by emailing
membership at nfb.org or calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509. Be prepared to
get your questions answered relating to the NFB. We look forward to your
participation!

2. National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey (NFBNJ) Distribution List:

Receiving emails from our listserv does not ensure you’re a member of our
organization. Membership is defined as paying yearly dues to a chapter or
division; so, select one and join us in the NFBNJ.

3. NFBNJ Chapters and Divisions

New Jersey has 6 chapters which held, pre-pandemic, monthly in person
meetings throughout the state. In order to help keep us all safe and well,
These meetings are currently being held via telephone conference call until
state and local restrictions are lifted.

If you live in an area that doesn’t have a local chapter or if other
factors prevent you from attending a chapter or division meeting, you can
join the At-Large Chapter.To learn more contact Joseph Ruffalo, At-Large
Chapter President at 973-743-0075 or by email nfbnj1 at verizon.net

In addition, five special-interest groups comprise the NFBNJ’s divisions
These divisions meet monthly via conference call or using the Zoom platform.

To learn more about local chapters and divisions visit . www.nfbnj.org

4. Request for distribution from Janie Degenshein; President NFBNJ Senior
Division

It’s time for another good read together. The next book club sponsored by
the Senior Division and my blind support group, ECHO (Eyes Closed Hearts
Open) is set for Wednesday, December 9 (details below).

Our book, which is on BARD, is especially timely, for we Jeopardy! fans.
Here is the BARD catalogue notation:

The answer is...: reflections on my life DB99678; Trebek, Alex. Reading
time: 4 hours, 37 minutes, Read by Alex Trebek. Biography of Entertainers;
Stage and Screen

Longtime host of the TV game show Jeopardy! shares stories of his life and
career. Alongside anecdotes about the show and its contestants, he
discusses marriage, parenthood, spirituality, education, philanthropy, and
his own battle with cancer. Unrated. Commercial audiobook. 2020.

Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Time: 6 PM NFBNJ Affiliate Conference
Call Line Dial: 1 605 468 8005 Access Code: 460994 followed by the pound
sign

5. Request for distribution from Annemarie Cooke, and Phil Harrision NFBNJ
Transit Committee

MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR AN ACCESSLINK TOWN HALL MEETING VIA ZOOM!

Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 Time: 7-8:30 p.m. Zoom info will be sent
closer to the meeting date

Remember the Access Link survey you might have participated in earlier this
year? Representatives of NJ Transit’s Access Link will meet with us in a
Town Hall meeting to further discuss our suggestions and what’s in the
pipeline for our vital para transit service.

Our speakers will answer questions as time permits. Please submit your
questions by December 11 at 5 p.m. to Annemarie Cooke, aec732 at gmail.com

6. NABS At Large Seminar

“Speaking Up and Branching Out”, taking place January 9 and10 2021.This
virtual program, designed to empower blind students to sharpen their public
speaking skills, hopes to equip attendees with techniques and the
self-confidence to advocate effectively in academic and everyday life. With
guest speakers, philosophical discussions, and interactive activities, your
participation in this event is both a resource for professional development
and interpersonal networking.

The deadline for completion of this form and payment of the $25
registration fee is Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT. Please
direct all registration questions to Kinshuk Tella at
kinshuk.tella at gmail.com and see the confirmation message after submitting
this form for methods of payment. Click on the link below to register

https://forms.gle/pGrq8jg2TTa2opETA

2021 NFBNJ Student Division dues paying members will be reimbursed the
registration fee upon completion.  For questions contact Jonathan Zobeck,
President NFBNJ Student Division at 609 216b0181or jzobeck at gmail.com

7. Join us for an early New Year’s Eve celebration on Saturday, December 19
fellowship gathering as we say good-bye to 2020 and let’s look forward to
2021.

Date:   Saturday, December 19, 2020 Time:   10:00 to 10:45 Zoom info will
be sent closer to the meeting date

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

January 4, 2021: Presidential Release Live 8:00 p.m. ET

January 18, 2021: Deadline Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

February 1, 2021: Presidential Release Live 8:00 p.m. ET

February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar and Great Gathering-In, virtual

March 31, 2021 National scholarship Deadline

Scholarship Program Application Checklist | National Federation of the
Blind (nfb.org)

Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.