[NFBNJ] NFBNJ Congratulates Marissa nissley National Scholarship Recipient Class of 2020

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu May 7 17:28:17 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
I am pleased to congratulate and announce Marissa Nissley as a recipient of
a national scholarship for 2020.

Marissa, while I was talking to her demonstrated confidence , positive
attitude with intelligence and has a personality to succeed.

To all, meet Marissa!
Notes from Lia Stone, chair of the NFBNJ scholarship committee.

              Marissa is an active member of her school and her community,
and I believe that she could grow into a leader within the federation.

                Marissa is currently a senior in high school where she is
5th in her class (her school does not use traditional GPA rankings) and will
be attending Georgetown University in the fall as an economics major.  She
is the captain of her school’s mock trial team and is the vice president of
her school’s business honors society, where she oversaw the fundraising of
$1500 for an organization that supports children that have lost a parent.
She is also actively involved in a national organization for people with
albinism.

                When asked what she thinks the biggest issue facing the
blind community today is she spoke about a lack of self advocacy among blind
students leading to rights being violated. She spoke very eloquently about
how she had to learn to become a self-advocate to get her own accessibility
needs met in her school and that she has seen other students with
disabilities struggle to get their needs met because of this.  Marissa
believes she deserves a scholarship because she lives the philosophy of
“each one teach one” and wants to continue taking what she learns  to
support other blind students.

                I believe Marissa embodies what we want to see in our young
leaders, and I think she would benefit tremendously from the opportunities
opened up by receiving a scholarship.

As you can witness, Marissa has been named to the National Federation of the
Blind Scholarship Class, 2020.

Respectfully,
Joe Ruffalo

nfbnj1 at verizon.net