[NFBNJ] New: Raising Expectations To Transform Dreams Into Reality page

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri May 8 11:44:04 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
Wanted to share the following that is posted on the state website.
Hope you enjoy the stories and lives of several of our members that are
raising expectations to live the life we want!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

---

Raising Expectations To Transform Dreams Into Reality page

Raising Expectations To Transform Dreams Into Reality
The following National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey members share
their stories with the ultimate goal to raise expectations to live the life
they want!

Joe Ruffalo, NFBNJ President
Joe Ruffalo doesn’t let his blindness get him down, but, more importantly he
doesn’t let others get down over their blindness. Listen now as Joe counsels
an elderly blind lady whose children want to remove her stove from her home
because they are afraid she won’t be able to cook any more.

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show – Joe Ruffalo…Changing The Way
We See Blindness

Linda Melendez, NFBNJ First Vice-President
This is the kind of story we need right now. Linda Melendez, is not only a
9/11 Survivor, she is a hero…and she is Blind. Listen to hear how she saved
at least 100 people in the World Trade Center bombing. She is also a mom,
and a proud first time grandmother to Lucas Mathew who she babysits.
Changing the Way We See Blindness.

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – Linda Melendez A
REAL 911 Hero…Changing the Way We See Blindness

Mary Jo Partyka, NFBNJ Second Vice-President
Mary Jo Partyka has been blind since birth. But, she attended regular
schools, her Braille textbooks helping her excel in her scholastic life, as
well as in everyday living. Her innate empathy helped her help others in her
work at a hotline for people who were in trauma, including suicidal. She
helped people who needed more social funding…she was blind, and the people
she helped didn’t know. Her husband is also blind. Find out why she thought
twice before marrying a blind spouse. Changing the Way We See
Blindness..MaryJo Partyka.

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – MaryJo
Partyka…Changing the Way We See Blindness

Richard Fox,NFBNJ Northern Chapter President
Rick Fox, born blind,keyboardist, college graduate,employed in the
technology field as a programmer and teacher. Rick loves to barbeque.

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – Rick Fox…Coronavirus
and Barbecuing while Blind

Joanna Benthall, NFBNJ Sports and Recreation Division Member
Joanna Benthall was walking down the street one day on her way to her
favorite store when she was 20…and her sight went out…total darkness! But,
that was 14 years ago, and she is now a much-sought-after plus-size
model…and, a newlywed!

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – Joanna
Benthall…Blind Model

Rosa Santiago, NFBNJ Northeast Chapter Member
When Rosa Santiago was a young woman, she had the chance to be in the play,
“Bye, Bye Birdie.” But she didn’t accept the invitation to be in it because
she was afraid that her blindness would trip her up. Fast forward to today,
Rosa is an entrepreneur, author, and inspirational speaker…helping us all
Change the Way We See Blindness!

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – Rosa Santiago:
Author, Entrepreneur, Inspirational Speaker…Changing the Way We See
Blindness

Michael Moran, NFBNJ At Large Chapter Member
Michael Moran highlights growing up as a blind kid in Jersey City, attending
a blind school, entering the public school system, graduating from college
with 2 master degrees. Michael outlines his working career, interest and
provides his positive attitude as he continues to live the life he wants!

·         The Cooking Without Looking TV Show Podcast – Michael
Moran…Marinara vs. Gravy