[NFBNJ] NFBNJ State Convention: Rookie Round Up Wed, Nov 11 at 7 p.m. Come and Meet our National Rep Julie Deden (Bio below)

Ellen Sullivan ems553 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 9 11:13:34 UTC 2020

Subject: 44th State Convention Rookie Roundup with our National Rep. Julie
Deden (Bio below) on Wednesday, November 11 at 7 pm

>From the Desk of Linda Melendez, Chair, Convention Activities, National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Submitted by Ellen Sullivan, Affiliate Secretary

Greetings all,

Have questions about our first virtual state convention?  You are not alone!
Join us on Wednesday, November 11 at 7 pm as we highlight and outline the
agenda, zoom procedures, have the opportunity to answer your questions and
participate in a practice vote. See Zoom meeting credentials after my
signature block.

Please see below the Zoom instructions a wonderful bio of our National
Representative Julie Deden, Executive Director, Colorado Center for the
Blind!

Warmly,

 <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com> lindamelendez220 at gmail.com

****

Topic: NFBNJ State Convention Rookie Roundup

Date: Wednesday, Nov 11, 2020

Time: 7:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

 <https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103

Passcode: 460 994

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,6477660103# US (New York)

+13017158592,,6477660103# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103

Passcode: 460 994

*******

Julie Deden

My Story

I am honored to be the national representative at our New Jersey convention
and looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible in our new virtual
space. I have always been blind but truly did not feel good about being a
blind person until I became involved in the National Federation of the blind
at age 18. Even when I joined the NFB it took a few years for me to feel
proud of being a blind person. The National Federation of the Blind has
given me the opportunity to participate in so many activities where I have
met positive blind role models who have taken their time to mentor me.

I have lived in Colorado for most of my life. Diane and Ray McGeorge are two
of the first people I met through the NFB. They spent so much time with me
teaching me about life and the NFB. Today, Diane serves as the chair of the
Colorado Center Board of Directors and is still teaching me. She is not only
a mentor but is like my mom as I feel that I grew up with her influence.

I have a master's degree in counseling psychology from Lesley University and
always knew from a young age that I wanted to work with people. I enjoyed
working as a rehabilitation counselor for 14 years, because I had an
opportunity to provide support and mentor my clients. In 1997 I left the
Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to work at the Colorado
Center for the Blind. Once again, Diane mentored me to prepare me to become
the director of the center in March of 1999.

I have held countless offices in the NFB. I currently serve as Second Vice
President of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado. I am humbled
to be the Vice President of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults.

I am married to Dan Burke and have a grown-up son named Robert. Every day is
a gift and I wonder what I may learn from the day! I treasure my involvement
in the NFB and know that we can do anything, with love hope and
determination.

Julie Deden

Executive Director

Colorado Center for the Blind