[NFBNJ] Items Of Interest NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 10/19/2020

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 19 21:19:24 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
I have pasted several items of interest from President Riccobono’s notebook
for week of October 19.
Keep well.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The LifeYou Want!

---

From: President, National Federation of the Blind
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 10/19/2020

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It's pretty incredible to listen in to the virtual conventions happening
around the Federation. On Saturday alone, I had the opportunity to be in the
Greater Baltimore chapter meeting, speak to the NFB of North Carolina, drop
by the NFB of Wyoming, and make a video appearance at the NFB of Rhode
Island. Thanks to all of you for continuing to innovate and connect people
in the Federation spirit.

We are doing incredibly well on securing matching funds committed to us for
Meet the Blind Month but we need you all to put efforts into bringing us
across the finish line. I am glad to report that so far we have raised 75
percent of the $50,000 matching funds we need for the Freedom Scientific
matching gift challenge. Please help get the word out by forwarding our
emails, retweeting on Twitter, and sharing on Facebook so we can reach 100
percent.

As we come down to the final two weeks of the presidential election cycle,
there is a need for us to collect information about what is happening with
blind voters. I want to call out our blind voters surveys—which we have
expanded for 2020—and our need to collect stories about the experience of
blind voters for the media. Please continue to pour energy into helping us
document the experience of as many blind voters as possible during the 2020
election cycle. This is going to make a huge difference in our efforts going
forward. While we may not have solved all of the accessibility issues for
2020, we have a better shot of making improvements in the future if we can
clearly show the harm to blind voters in 2020.

Critical Actions:
2020 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey:
After voting in the 2020 general election, blind and low-vision voters are
encouraged to complete our 2020 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience
Survey. Two separate surveys are available so that the data gathered will
accurately reflect voters’ experience participating in the election.

Blind and low-vision voters who voted absentee or by mail using an
accessible, electronic ballot-delivery system or a traditional paper ballot
should complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YJJL7GN.

Blind and low-vision voters who cast their ballot at an early voting center
or a local polling place on Election Day should complete the survey at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NGFMPF2. Questions about the survey should be
directed to Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2221,
or to Jeff Kaloc at jkaloc at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2206. Please
note these are updated links from those that were sent out last week. If you
forwarded those links to your members, be sure to also forward these with a
note alerting them to the difference.

Comments: Please review, paste in a clean email  and share this information
with others on your email lists.

News:
Voting Stories:
The 2020 election is fast approaching, and there is more media interest than
ever this year in how people are voting and whether our nation’s voting
systems are working. We have the opportunity to let the public know about
how blind people can vote privately and independently, what it’s like to
encounter barriers to doing so, how our rights are addressed (or not) by our
local and state election officials, and what needs to be done to continue to
improve voting for everyone. We therefore want to hear your individual
stories about your experience as a blind voter for potential sharing with
media outlets and in other public forums. This will help us to inform
journalists, policymakers, and members of the public about the urgent need
for improvements in the accessibility of federal, state, and local
elections. You can send your story by email to myvote at nfb.org. You can also
call 410-659-9314, dial extension 8683 (which spells out VOTE on your
telephone keypad), and leave us a voicemail. Be sure to let us know your
name, where you live, and how we can contact you if we need to follow up.

Comments: An opportunity to have our voices heard as we need to make a
difference!

2020 Dare to Be Remarkable Conference:
Please save the date for the National Federation of the Blind 2020 Dare to
Be Remarkable conference, “Pathways toward Structured Discovery.” This will
be a three-day national training conference for all rehabilitation and
education professionals who work with the population of transition-age youth
and adults who are blind or low vision. Specific tracks will also be offered
for adult VR consumers who are currently participating in rehabilitation
training programs. The conference will take place on Tuesday, December 15,
2020, to Thursday, December 17, 2020, from 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. eastern via
the Zoom platform. More information will be provided in the coming week.

We are currently accepting proposals from potential presenters. If you are
interested in getting information about our call for presenters, or have
other questions related to the conference, please contact the conference
organizers:

Edward Bell, PhD

Louisiana Tech University

318-257-4554 or ebell at latech.edu

Anil Lewis, MPA

National Federation of the Blind

410-659-9314 or alewis at nfb.org

Comments: Please share.

National Council on Disability—AbilityOne Report:

Last Wednesday the National Council on Disability released a report on the
AbilityOne program entitled Policies from the Past in a Modern Era: The
Unintended Consequences of the AbilityOne Program & Section 14(c). The
report states: “Given the numerous systemic problems that beleaguer the
AbilityOne Program, coupled with the necessity for America to advance to the
fullest extent the integration of people with all disabilities into the
economic mainstream of society, NCD calls on Congress to phase out the
AbilityOne Program over an eight-year period and replace the program by
requiring that federal contractors hire a percentage of people who are blind
or have a significant disability.” NCD will be conducting three briefings on
the report. Please note that the first briefing is this Thursday, October
22, and if you plan to attend you will need to RSVP.

Comments: We are making a difference!

College Board’s AP Classroom:
The NFB has been alerted to access barriers regarding College Board’s AP
Classroom. If you or your student has encountered access barriers with the
AP Classroom curriculum, please contact Valerie Yingling at
vyingling at nfb.org.

Comments: Congratulations to Kaleigh Brendle.

She will be presenting on Saturday, November 21 during the state convention.

Note: The agenda is targeted for distribution during the week of October 26.

Meet the Blind Month Twitter Chats:
Join the National Federation of the Blind each Wednesday during Meet the
Blind Month on Twitter to discuss our lived experiences with various
intersectional identities—which are also subject to inequalities, public
misconceptions, and injustices. This Wednesday, October 14, at 2:00 p.m.
eastern, our Twitter chat will be a discussion of lived experiences with
blindness, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Participate and follow
along on Twitter using the hashtag #MeetTheBlind. Questions for the chat are
available now on our Twitter chat page.

Comments: Another opportunity to share.

Lived Experiences with Self-Confidence:
The National Federation of the Blind works to break down misconceptions of
what it means to be blind. Nonvisual training and Federation philosophy
build our confidence so we can conquer our dreams. As part of Meet the Blind
Month we are sharing stories of our self-confidence and why it is important.
The first round is with instructors from our training centers. Check out and
share “Lived Experiences with Self Confidence: A Conversation with Blindness
Experts.”

Comments: Opportunities for your consideration.

Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques:
Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by access technology experts
that provide introductions to best practices and the latest trends in access
tech. Here are the upcoming boutiques for the end of 2020:

  a.. “Web Accessibility on a Budget,” Wednesday, October 28
  b.. “Learning Management Systems,” Tuesday, November 17
  c.. “Tips and Tools for an Accessible Smart Home,” Tuesday, December 15
Comments: Interested? Here is your chance to participate .

Registration is free. Learn more about the upcoming accessibility boutiques.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  a.. October: Meet the Blind Month
  b.. November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  c.. December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  d.. December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  e.. February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work