[NFBNJ] President Riccobono's Notebook Items of Interest For The Week Ending September 18 2020

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 14 23:45:24 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
Please review several points of interest provided from President Riccobono’s
Notebook for the week of September 14, 2020.
Sharing information is imperataive to grow each of you and the affiliate.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations to Live The Life You Want!

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I hope this message finds everyone doing well. I know that, for many of our
leaders, the back-to-school time is particularly challenging with children
and grandchildren needing support with education. I am sending positive
thoughts to each of you along with the strength to keep working it out.

News
Election 2020:
We are currently developing a section on NFB-NEWSLINE® for election 2020
materials. These items will be made available on the service as they become
available to us. Yesterday we released the “candidate 2020 searches”
section, which contains several searches for “Biden” and “Trump.” There are
searches of the top one hundred newspapers, breaking news, international
newspapers, and magazines provided in this section. In order to access this
information on a telephone, you will first need to select option 1 off the
main menu, followed by option 2 for the election 2020 materials. If you are
using the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app, first select “all publications” followed
by selecting “candidate 2020 searches.” The election 2020 materials will be
available to all NFB-NEWSLINE subscribers, including those subscribers who
reside in non-sponsored states.

Speaking of Election 2020:
Stay tuned for more news about how we are securing the rights of blind
voters across the nation. In the meantime, we have a fun surprise that will
help affiliates and chapters encourage members to vote! That surprise is an
original parody, "Our Vote," inspired by the song "My Shot" from the musical
Hamilton, composed and performed by NFB member Precious Perez.

Equal Access in Education Blog Post:
As schools reopen this fall, some virtually, some in person, and some in a
hybridized format, blind students may encounter new and challenging
accessibility barriers; some students already have. Many questions remain
regarding how schools will implement instruction this fall, but with
certainty the NFB will continue to prioritize equal access to education
within all the work we do. To find out what we are doing and how you can
participate, please read our new blog post, “Equal Access in Education: An
NFB Priority.”

Braille Readers Are Leaders:
Once again, the National Federation of the Blind is partnering with the
American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults to present the 2020-2021
Braille Readers Are Leaders contest. With categories for children and adults
alike, the contest aims to encourage Braille literacy and reading for
pleasure. The contest will run from December 1, 2020, through January 18,
2021. Participants will log the number of pages they read in order to
compete for prizes. More information regarding how to register will be
coming soon.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
  a.. September 24-25: Nonvisual Access Conference
  b.. October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  c.. October 1: Inclusive Publishing Conference
  d.. October: Meet the Blind Month
  e.. November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  f.. December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  g.. December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  h.. February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work