[NFBNJ] Week of July 19, 2021 President Riccobono's Notebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Wed Jul 21 11:43:53 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

To help stay connected with our National Office and with the work of our
organization I am sharing some of President Riccobono's Weekly  Notebook,
National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Email: president at nfbnj.org
President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
410-659-9314
officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Dear Federation Family,

Thank you for making our 2021 National Convention an outstanding success. I
was inspired by the commitment and work of our leadership group that made
the convention a success. I hope you came away with the same feeling.

Congratulations to these states for making the top ten in new members
between the 2020 Convention and May 31, 2021:

   1. Georgia: 139
   2. Texas: 116
   3. North Carolina: 60
   4. Pennsylvania: 57
   5. New Jersey: 56
   6. Colorado: 40
   7.  Maryland: 32
   8. California: 28
   9. Arkansas: 23
   10. Indiana: 23

Critical Actions:

*NFB21 Convention Highlights and Congratulations:*

The 2021 NFB National Convention highlights will be available at
nfb.org/nfb21
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/past-conventions/2021-national-convention>.
Access the presidential report, resolutions, banquet speech, and more.
During convention, the National Federation of the Blind presents several
scholarships and awards. Congratulations to the winners:
News:

   - Jordana M. Engebretsen of Idaho was named the
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22214&qid=>2021 Distinguished
   Educator of Blind Students
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22214&qid=> at the board of
   directors meeting on Wednesday, July 7.
   - Thirty outstanding scholars received their
   <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/celebrate-outstanding-blind-students-0>NFB
   scholarships
   <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/celebrate-outstanding-blind-students-0>
at
   the convention banquet, with Lizzy Muhammad-Park of Maryland winning the
   top $12,000 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship.
   - Six outstanding innovators were presented with the
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22216&qid=>Dr. Jacob Bolotin
   Awards <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22216&qid=> at the
   banquet, with the top award of $20,000 going to Eye Learn of Detroit,
   Michigan.

Federation at the US Senate Committee on Appropriations Regarding USPS:

National Federation of the Blind member Rania Dima testified on July 13 at
theHearing to Review the FY 2022 Budget Request for the USPS Office of
Inspector General and USPS Service Issues
<https://www.c-span.org/video/?513353-1/us-postal-service-fiscal-year-2022-budget-request>
before
the US Senate Committee on Appropriations. Rania is introduced by Senator
Chris Van Hollen (MD), the chair of the subcommittee, at approximately one
hour and eleven minutes into the video.  She testified on the importance of
the timely delivery of “free matter for the blind” materials that are
supposed to be processed as first-class mail, and how the current delays
are impacting her ability to access Braille.
<https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Dima%20Testimony2.pdf>Read
Rania’s story
<https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Dima%20Testimony2.pdf>.
Plan to Attend the June Presidential Release—Captioning and Spanish
Available:

Mark your calendars! The next Presidential Release of the National
Federation of the Blind will be Monday, August 2, at 8:00 p.m., eastern.
After the remarks there will be an opportunity for questions. Submit
questions in advance to  <cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org and put
PR507 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed
captions and Spanish interpretation will be available. Zoom details coming
soon.
Upcoming Hearing on Phasing Out Subminimum Wages

On Wednesday, July 21, at 10:15 a.m., eastern, Anil Lewis, our executive
director for Blindness Initiatives, will be testifying in a joint hearing
before the Subcommittee on Workforce Protections and the Subcommittee on
Civil Rights and Human Services. Both of these are subcommittees of the
House Education and Labor Committee. More information on this hearing can
be found at
<https://edlabor.house.gov/hearings/phasing-out-subminimum-wages-supporting-the-transition-to-competitive-integrated-employment-for-workers-with-disabilities>
https://edlabor.house.gov/hearings/phasing-out-subminimum-wages-supporting-the-transition-to-competitive-integrated-employment-for-workers-with-disabilities
.
2021 Blind Driver Challenge Update: Meet Dan Parker:

Earlier this year, the National Federation of the Blind announced our
partnership with Cruise for the continued initiatives to accelerate
accessibility with regard to autonomous vehicles and to sponsor Dan Parker
in breaking a world record this fall. We are racing to the record and more.
<https://youtu.be/S4WRQMc0ryY>Meet Dan Parker in this two-minute video
<https://youtu.be/S4WRQMc0ryY>.
NFB Surveys:

Please visit the NFB’s legal webpage
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program> to participate in our
many important surveys:

   - Rideshare Discrimination Survey
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-survey>
   - Access to Digital Library Services Survey
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access_to_digital_library_service>
   - Education Technology Survey
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey>
   - Unemployment Benefits Survey
   <https://nfb.org/form/unemployment-benefits-survey?q=form%2Funemployment-benefits-survey>
   - Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Survey
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey?q=programs-services%2Flegal-program%2Faccess-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey>
   - Travel Survey <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFBTravelSurvey>

National Parents Day Is July 25:

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
<https://nfb.org/our-community/blind-parents>blind parents
<https://nfb.org/our-community/blind-parents> are fully capable and have
been successfully raising children for generations. We strive to build a
strong network for blind parents. As a way to celebrate National Parents
Day, which is every year on the fourth Sunday of July, access the
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast/blind-parents-connection-podcast>*Blind
Parents Connection Podcast*
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast/blind-parents-connection-podcast>,
a Blind Parent Education Initiative supported by the Gibney Family
Foundation. We are excited to bring you episodes that provide tips and
support for blind parents, by blind parents.
NFB Apparel Is Now Available from the Independence Market!

The Independence Market is now carrying men’s and ladies’ apparel
consisting of NFB-logo polo shirts and jackets! The descriptions are as
follows:

Men’s cotton performance polo shirts: sizes small to 5XL (black, navy, red)
($24.00)

Ladies’ cotton performance polo shirts: sizes extra small to 2XL (black,
navy, and red); 3XL in black and navy only ($24.00)

Men’s nylon, lined jackets: sizes small to 5XL (black, navy, red) ($30.00)

Ladies’ nylon, lined jackets: sizes extra small to 2XL (black, navy, red);
3XL black only ($30.00)
Thanks to the Missouri Affiliate:

Thanks to the NFB of Missouri for a recent contribution to our NFB BELL
educational endeavors. We continue to build our movement together.
Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

   - July 19-30: BELL Session 2
   - August 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - August 9-20: BELL Session 3
   - September 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - October 1: Presidential Release, 12:00 p.m.
   - November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

--

​Warmly,
Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*