[NFBNJ] Attention Access Link Clients; Important Information

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Tue Oct 26 02:36:46 UTC 2021

Greetings Access Link Clients,

Today during the October 25, 2021 NJT Citizens Advisory Council (CAC)
meeting, where I am an appointed member, I delivered an Access Link
statement for Richard Fox, President of the NFBNJ Northern Chapter on
behalf of the members (Region 5). Clarke King, President of the NFBNJ
Northeast Chapter also delivered a statement on behalf of the members
(Region 6).

Michelle Stiehler, Access Link General Manager responded by saying they are
aware of the issues and working on them. This is due to  a  shortage of
drivers and reservationists. NJT has hired individuals to take reservations
and we should begin to see an improvement pertaining to busy signals and
long wait times. Access Link is also testing an email reservation system
and will be working with the NFBNJ for screen reader accessibility.

As for the issue of lack of drivers I find this to be unacceptable. I gave
them an analogy that if all motorists had to park their vehicles in
different regions and make a reservation to pick them up with a 30 minute
window and when they arrived they had to wait an additional two hours
to receive
their vehicles how would this affect their lives? They would be late
getting to work, taking the children to school, doctors appointments and
various other errands. I stated this would be a hardship on their lives and
could cause them to lose their jobs. Well this is what’s happening with
Access Link clients.

In addition, I stated it is difficult for blind Americans to obtain jobs
because of preconceived notions and low expectations. Seventy percent of
blind Americans are unemployed or underemployed so those who are fortunate
to have a job do everything within their power to stay employed.

CAC advised us they will no longer address Access Link issues during these
meetings and we were advised to have Access Link clients call or email them
directly . I advocate zealously on your behalf and feel they are dismissive
of me and other council members who speak out about Access Link. I too am
frustrated, especially, since there is no Access Link Consumer Advisory
Board or Citizens Advisory Council.

They may not  realize the number of individuals I represent when I speak as
the President of the NFBNJ and on individuals on our distribution list.
Let's give them what they want! This is why I am urging everyone to please
contact Access Link with every  valid complaint by calling or emailing them
for each issue and holding them accountable to give you a response for each
complaint.

This is your chance for all our voices to be heard together in unity for
Access Link improvements. Please invite other Access Link clients to do the
same! Listed below is their phone number and email address. I know this
means more work for you, however, this is the only course of action we have
available to us.

Phone number:  973 690 6720

Email address below:

Adaservices at njtransit.com

You can also click on the feedback option in Access Link online or the
mobile app.

After the state convention, I will request a virtual forum where they
can discuss
improvements to services and take individual concerns and issues. Let's see
if they honor my request.

president at nfbnj.org

www.nfbnj.org

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.