[NFBNJ] Hot off the press; Agenda for the 45th National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey State Convention

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Sun Oct 31 22:27:16 UTC 2021

Greetings all,

It's here -- listed below, attached as a word and PDF file is the agenda
for the FREE 45th National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Annual
State Convention being held virtually via the Zoom platform from Wednesday,
November 10, Thursday, November 11, Friday, November 12, and Saturday,
November 13. The agenda will also be available on Newsline and our website
at
www.nfbnj.org

This event, is the major gathering of our state’s blindness community and all
are invited. There is still time to register and be eligible for for door
prizes.

Registration is FREE!! Click on the link below to register.
https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/registration

Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*

*The 45th Annual State Convention**National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey*

*LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT—**WE ARE MORE THAN THE SUM OF ONE*

Anywhere and Everywhere

Wednesday through Saturday

November 10, 11, 12, 13, 2021

president at nfbnj.org

www.nfbnj.org

Who We Are & What We Do

The National Federation of the Blind, the oldest and largest organization
of and for the blind in the US, is made up of blind/visually impaired
people of all ages, and their families and friends. We help newly blind
people adjust to eyesight loss, assist parents and teachers of blind
children, and promote the full participation and integration of blind
people in our communities. Our activities include:

·       Assisting blind persons in acquiring the skills of independence and
developing confidence in themselves

·       Supporting parents and teachers of blind children with information,
mentoring, role modeling, and training

·       Preparing blind students for careers and self-sufficiency through
mentoring, training, and academic scholarships

·       Encouraging blind seniors to continue to live active and meaningful
lives

·       Advocating for policies that eliminate discrimination, promote
civil rights, and guarantee equal access to high quality educational and
rehabilitation programs

·       Sponsoring information campaigns and legislative action at the
state and national levels

·       Educating the public through community activities and publications
 Spotlight on NFB of New Jersey

Since 1976, the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, an
affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, has been providing
invaluable information and resources to blind/visually impaired people
throughout the state. Our members work together for a brighter tomorrow by
raising expectations for blind people everywhere so that blind persons can
live the life they want. Our seven chapters meet monthly; our five
divisions hold meetings and events at various times throughout the year.
Please join us— we would welcome your participation and membership. For
more information on the affiliate, chapters, divisions, committees,
programs, and projects, visit www.nfbnj.org
Live the Life You Want

blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love, hope, and
determination, we transform dreams into reality.
The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

It’s not too late to register

You still can register for the 45th State Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey until Friday, November 5 to be
eligible for door prizes. This event, the major gathering of our state’s
blindness community, will be held virtually via the Zoom platform from
Wednesday, November 10 through Saturday, November 13. Registration is
FREE!! Click on the link below to register.
https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/registration
Integrity and Respect

To allow all attendees the chance to benefit from all aspects of the
convention, we are committed to providing a harassment-free environment for
everyone. We appreciate your assistance in cultivating an atmosphere in
which participants from diverse backgrounds may learn, network, and share
with each other in an environment of mutual respect. Thank you for doing
your part to contribute to our community and the high expectations we
strive to maintain.

Please visit the following link for the code of conduct:
www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct
Virtual Exhibit Room

Please be sure to visit our virtual Exhibitor Room which will open on
Wednesday, November 3 and close on Wednesday, December 15.

https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/exhibitors-and-sponsors/exhibitors

 We are grateful to all our exhibitors for their time, dedication, and
generosity to the NFBNJ, so please do support them and visit their virtual
booth.

Door Prize Details

Door prizes will be drawn and announced throughout the convention. Winners
must be present to win. If you hear your name called, you can claim your
prize in one of these ways: raise your hand, or call or text Ellen Sullivan
at 302 333 8146.  Winners must provide their convention registration name,
email address, and best contact number. Out of respect for attendees, we
ask that only those in attendance at the time their name is called make
claims for the prize.
NFBNJ Eligible Voters

Current 2021 dues-paying members who are registered for the convention and
enrolled to vote have received emails with instructions and the phone
number to cast their votes when announced. Please consider adding the
voting number to your contacts for easier voting.
Zoom Window CommandsMute/Unmute your audio: Alt+A
Turn your video camera on/off: Alt+V
Display Participants, users: Alt+U
To collapse the list of users and show other Zoom controls: press escape
Raise/lower hand: Alt+Y
To quit: Alt QPlease allow the host to lower your handZoom Mac Keyboard
Shortcuts

Command + Shift + A: Mute/unmute audio
Command + Shift + V: Start/stop video
Hold Space: Push to talk if your audio is muted and the host allows it
Option + Y: Raise hand/lower hand
Command + U: Display/hide participants panel
Command + Shift + H: Show/hide in-meeting chat panel
Command + Shift + F: Enter or exit full screen
Ctrl + Option + Command +H: Show/hide meeting controls
Command + W: Prompt to End or Leave Meeting
Zoom Telephone Commands

To mute or unmute: Star+6
To Raise or lower your hand: Star+9
Please allow the host to lower your hand

Zoom iPhone Tips

To raise your hand, tap on the more button and tap the option to raise your
hand
To unmute when you wish to speak, tap on the mute/unmute button

Instructions for listening on an Echo device
Wake word Alexa: call 646 876 9923
Just like calling on the phone, you will hear "welcome to Zoom" say the
meeting id 647 766 0103 when prompted followed by pound
Then say wake word Alexa: say the passcode 460994
Then say Alexa Press pound to enter the meeting
Miscellaneous Details

Our convention will be recorded.

All state convention activities will be held at Eastern Standard Time via
the Zoom platform unless otherwise indicated.

JAWS users can use Heading 1 to navigate between announcements and days and
heading 2 for presentations.
Convention Zoom Participation Details

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994
Convention Rookie Roundup

Date: Tuesday, November 2, 2021
Time: 7:00 PM

For all members, nonmembers, first timers and veteran conventioneers; we
will highlight and outline the agenda, meet our national rep Patti Chang,
review Zoom procedures, provide members with the opportunity to ask
questions, and run a practice voting exercise.

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994
10:00 AM to 10:55 AM–New Jersey Association of Senior Blind (NJASB)
Business Meeting

Jane Degenshein, President
We will review 2021, hold elections, share about the National Senior
Division virtual retreat, and plan for next year.

To subscribe to our NFBNJ Senior Division listserv click on the link below
https://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfbnj-seniors_nfbnet.org

To subscribe to our National Senior Division listserv, click on the link
below:
11:00 AM to 11:55 AM–New Jersey Association of Blind Technology Users
(NJABTU) Business Meeting

Jane Degenshein, President
We will review 2021, hold elections and discuss what's ahead in 2022. In
addition, David DeNotaris from Pennsylvania will share some tech tips with
us.

To subscribe to our NFBNJ tech division listserv click on the link below:

*1:00 PM to 1:55 PM-NFBNJ At-Large Chapter Business Meeting*
Joseph Ruffalo, President
Our meeting will review the past year, highlight plans for 2022, and
discuss the importance of membership involvement in the chapter.

*2:00 PM to 2:55 PM–NFBNJ Sports and Recreation Division Business Meeting*

Linda Melendez, President
Join us as we review 2021, hold elections, and discuss ideas as we plan for
2022. Blind Athletes Inc. will share about their organization and how to
get involved.

To learn about our National Sports and Recreation Division visit
http://www.nfbsportsandrec.org

To join our National Sports and Recreation Division listserv visit
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org

Find our National Face Book Group by searching National Sports and
Recreation Division

3:00 PM to 3:50 PM–NFBNJ Braille Committee Business Meeting

Mary Jo Partyka, Chair
We will discuss Braille mentoring, the Braille Challenge, the BELL In-home
Edition, and the NLS E-reader. Our next steps will consist of determining
our goals for 2022 at our February meeting. We will have two guest speakers
this year: Deborah Kent Stein from the NFB of Illinois and Zora Stover, a
bright inquisitive eight-year -old who participated in our BELL Program and
two NJ Regional Braille Challenges (she won first place this year in her
age category.)

Our Braille committee website is
https://www.nfbnj.org/projects/

Our national website is:
NFB—Braille-Discussion

4:00 PM to 4:50 PM–NFBNJ Diabetes Committee Business Meeting
Ed Godfrey & Angela Perone, Co-Chairs
An overview of 2021 and plans for 2022. Debbie Wunder, President of
the Diabetes
Action Network, (DAN), our national division, will provide information
about their purpose, goals and objectives, and how to join. We will also
discuss various accessibility products.

7:00 PM to 7:50 PM–NFBNJ Guide Dog Committee Business Meeting

Brianna Murray, Chair
During this annual meeting we will reflect on our activities as a committee
in 2021 and discuss plans for the year ahead. We will also enjoy remarks
from a guest speaker who is influential in the guide dog movement. This
will be a valuable time to gather with local guide dog handlers, offer
feedback and suggestions, and maybe even learn something new that will
benefit you or your dog. To learn more about our committee email Brianna
Murray, Chair, at
brianna2393 at gmail.com

To join our email list, send a blank email with subscribe in the subject
line to
njagdu-request at nfbnet.org

To be involved with our NFB on a national level visit guide dogs
www.nagdu.org

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994
10:00 AM to 10:55 AM Resolutions 101

Sharon Maneki, Chair, NFB Resolutions Committee; Director of Legislative
and Advocacy, NFB of MD; and immediate past President of 24 years, NFB of
MD, will discuss the resolution process and the role of resolutions in our
national organization and affiliates.
11:00 AM to 11:55 AM Audio Description & Advocacy

Everette Bacon, Member, NFB Board of Directors; President, NFB of Utah
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM— Technology Seminar

Jane Degenshein, President, New Jersey Association of Blind Technology Users
1:05 PM–JAWS/Fusion

Sharky and smart OCR features. Tony Santiago, Vice President, Technology
Division
1:25 PM–Navigating Websites in Windows

Tracy Carcione and Rick Fox, Members, Technology Division

1:50 PM–Scriptalk App Demo

Anne Marie Harris, Member, Technology Division
2:05 PM–Goodreads App Demo

Mary Jo Partyka, Secretary, Technology Division
2:20 PM–IOS 15 New Phones Features

Tony Santiago, Vice President, Technology Division
2:40 PM–Navigating the web with IOS

Andy Smith, Board Member, Technology Division
3:00 PM–Everything Apple

 Matt Vollbrecht, Certified Apple Instructor; Owner, The Tech Juggernaut
3:40 PM–Q and A

Jane Degenshein, President, Technology Division
4:00 PM–Breakout Rooms4:00 PM to 4:45 PM Breakout Room

*Room 1: All About Newsline*

Members Tracy Carcione, Annemarie Cooke, and Andy Smith will discuss all
ways to access Newsline, followed by Q&A

*Room 2: Social Media*

Members Zoraida Krell and Mary Jo Partyka will discuss Facebook and Twitter
basics

*Room 3: Louie App Update*

Hands free access to many apps on Android and coming soon to Apple

Aneesh Karuppur, Freshman, Duke University
4:45 PM–Technology Seminar Conclusion

Jane Degenshein, President, New Jersey Association of Blind Technology Users

6:00 PM–Resolutions Committee Meeting

Ryan Stevens, Chair
Open to all; take part in witnessing the development of resolutions, which
become the policy statements of NFBNJ.

 7:30 PM to 8:00 PM-How to Maintain a Strong Social Life as an Adult

Lia Stone and Carley Mullin, Facilitators
In this talk, we will hear from two active and successful Federationists,
who will be letting us in on how they keep their many hobbies and social
activities thriving while also juggling their busy work schedules. They
will remind us all that a healthy social life as an adult is not only
possible, but essential.
8:15 PM to 9:00 PM-A Climber’s Guide to Ascending the Career Ladder

In this session we will hear from three successful blind professionals with
work experience in the private and nonprofit sectors. They will be giving
their best advice on how to identify and pursue professional goals for
advancement, how to find the best workplaces where that advancement can
take place, and how to rise through the ranks without burning out. If
you’re looking to move on up in your career, you won’t want to miss this
one!

Friday, November 12, 2021–Morning General Session

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994
8:30 AM–Traditional Pre-Convention Music9:00 AM–Welcome, Call to Order

Linda Melendez, President, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
9:05 AM–Opening Ceremonies

Jane Degenshein, President, Senior and Technology Divisions
Pledge of Allegiance
The National Federation of the Blind Pledge:
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.
Invocation—Jane Degenshein, Member, Temple Ner Tamid
Moment of Silence for members, family and friends who have passed away

Honoring Veterans—Joseph Ruffalo, US Army Veteran; immediate past
president, NFBNJ; current 1st Vice President, NFBNJ; President, NFBNJ
At-Large Chapter
God Bless America—Vocal rendition by Mary Fernandez, Member, NFBNJ Board of
Directors
 9:20 AM–Introduction of Our Scholarship Class of 2021Lia Stone, Chair,
Scholarship Committee; Member, NFBNJ Board of Directors9:30 AM–Presidential
Report

Linda Melendez, President, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
10:00 AM–National Representative’s Report: We Are More than the Sum of OnePatti
Chang, Esq., Director of Outreach, National Federation of the Blind10:30 AM–NFB
Advocates for Equality, Opportunity and Security for the Blind

John Pare, Executive Director, Advocacy and Policy, NFB
10:55 AM–Together We Make a Difference!

Dr. Elisa Neira, Deputy Commissioner, NJ Department of Human Services; Dr.
Bernice Davis, Executive Director, NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired; C. Pat McKenna, Assistant Division Director, NJCBVI; Dr. Michelle
Whitmore, Acting Assistant Division Director, NJCBVI discuss our looking
forward together to continuing services, programs, and interactions in the
coming year.
11:40 AM –NFBNJ Sounding Board Update

Annemarie Cooke, Chair, Sounding Board Editorial Committee
11:45 AM–NFB PAC Plan

Mac Biggers, Chair, PAC Plan Committee. Hear how your monthly contribution
to the Preauthorized Contribution Plan, no matter the size, helps grow the
programs and projects of the NFB.
11:50 AM–AnnouncementsLinda Melendez, President, NFBNJ12:00 PM–Adjourn

Friday, November 12, 2021–Afternoon General Session1:00 PM–Afternoon
AnnouncementsLinda Melendez, President, NFBNJ1:10 PM–New Jersey State
Library – Talking Book & Braille Center

Adam Szczepaniak, Director, Talking Book & Braille Center; Deputy State
Librarian, New Jersey State Library, will highlight the past year’s
accomplishments (yes, even in a pandemic!) and share plans for next year.
1:20 PM–Hadley: Personalized Learning Opportunities for Empowerment

Marc Arneson, Director of Community Engagement, Hadley, brings us the
latest on how Hadley helps blind and visually impaired people thrive at
home, at work, and in the community.
1:35 PM–Seedlings: From Seed to Harvest

Learn about Seedlings and their programs including children’s books in
Braille and print together.
1:50 PM–Accessible Voting

Mary Ciccone, Esq., Director of Policy, Disability Rights New Jersey. Find
out how accessible voting went during the 2021 election season and hear
plans for moving forward.
2:10 PM–The Blind History Lady

Peggy Chong, the Blind History Lady, will share some little-known lore
about blind New Jerseyans of the past*.*
2:30 PM–NFBNJ Northeast Chapter Raising Expectations

Zoraida Krell, Member, NFBNJ Board; Vice President, Northeast Chapter; and
Northeast chapter members Alice Bogoshian, Cynthia DeJulia and Nagui
Khouzam will discuss going outside of their comfort zone!
3:05 PM–Fit Break

It’s likely you’ve been sitting for a while today so stand up and get the
blood flowing again in those quads and glutes!
  3:15 PM–Working Together for the Rights of the Blind

Ryan Stevens, Legislative Director, NFBNJ; the Honorable Yvonne Lopez, New
Jersey Assemblywoman, 19th Legislative District. Our legislative director
will again welcome our affiliate’s long-time champion for the rights of
parents who are blind or have other disabilities to provide an update on
our parental rights legislation NJ:A5517 and its continued importance in
our civil rights efforts.
3:55 PM–Reaching the Public: NFB Communications and Social Media

Danielle McCann, Social Media Coordinator, NFB
4:05 PM–The Braille Challenge

Monique Coleman, Ph.D., President, VISTAS Educational Partners, will
provide an overview of recent competitions and the coming 2022 Braille
Challenge.
4:20 PM –The Braille Enrichment Learning & Literacy (BELL) Academy:  Still
Successful in the Virtual Version

Linda Melendez, President, NFBNJ, and Mary Jo Partyka, Coordinator, NFBNJ
BELL Academy, along with BELL Academy team members and BELL students and
parents.
4:45 PM–AnnouncementsLinda Melendez, President, NFBNJ5:00 PM–Adjourn

5:30 to 6:45 PM–Entertainment

Can you name a song that has the word, “love” in the lyrics? How about
“baby” or “man?” Can you sing? If you can, then this event is for you! In
each round, three teams will be given a word by the judges and will have
time to come up with as many songs that contain this word. Then, the
sing-down begins as teams sing a portion of their songs until only one team
remains with ideas. The team with the most round victories wins! Audience
members are strongly encouraged to attend and enjoy the music and help
judge for accuracy of the songs!
7:00 PM–Business Meeting of the NFBNJ 2021 Convention

This meeting is perhaps the most important one of the NFBNJ affiliate. All
are welcome. NFBNJ President Linda Melendez will provide an overview of the
past years activities and plans for the future. Chapter reports will be
given and elections to the affiliate board will be held.
Saturday, November 13, 2021–Morning General Session

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM–General Session and Two Breakout Opportunities!9:00
AM–Opening Remarks

Linda Melendez, President, NFBNJ
9:10 AM–Invocation

Sanjay Gupta, International Society of Krishna Consciousness
9:15 AM –NFB Blindness Initiatives

Patti Chang Esq., NFB National Representative
9:35 PM –Business Opportunities Update

Nicky Gacos, President, National Association of Blind Merchants.
10:00 AM–Safe Streets

Richard Fox, President, NFBNJ Northern Chapter; Ellen Sullivan, Vice
President, Northern Chapter; Tracy Carcione, Member, Northern Chapter.
Learn what members of the Northern Chapter are doing to make our streets
safer for blind and other pedestrians.
 10:20 AM–Blind Iron Man

Dave Wilkerson of Louisville, KY shares how his unexpected brush with
serious injury set him on the path to the Iron Man competition. We CAN live
the life we want; blindness doesn’t hold us back.
10:40 AM-Fit break10:50 AM-Call to Action: Every Member Has the Power

Mary Fernandez and Carley Mullin, Co-Chairs, Membership Committee, will
highlight how every member of the Federation has a key role to play and has
the power to help our organization grow.

11:00 AM-NFB Teacher of Tomorrow
Rosy Carranza, Director, NFB Teacher of Tomorrow; and Sarah Scapardine,
participant, NFBNJ Teacher of Tomorrow, will provide information on this
important national program.
11:20 AM-Friend Raising Plus Fundraising Equals Success

Kenneth Viado, Mythicos Studios, will talk about a fun and exciting gaming
event that helped support the programs and projects of the NFBNJ.
11:40 AM-AnnouncementsLinda Melendez, President NFBNJ11:45 AM–Morning
Session Adjourns11:00 AM to 12:50 PM–NFBNJ Student Division Business Meeting

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8728160447?pwd=cnRwVkZGOGpTNDJwRHRlcnBHNlRKZz09

Meeting ID: 872 816 0447

Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,8728160447#,,,,*460994# US (Chicago)

+19292056099,,8728160447#,,,,*460994# US (New York)

Dial by your location

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 872 816 0447

Passcode: 460994
12:00 PM–Open Chat Session

Jane Degenshein, Facilitator. Grab your lunch, stay on the Zoom line, and
join us!
12:00 to 12:50 PM NFBNJ Parents of Blind Children (POBC-NJ) Skills for
Success

Carol Castellano, Founder, Parents of Blind Children-NJ; Secretary,
National Organization of Parents of Blind Children. We’ll look at the
fundamental skills blind and visually impaired children from birth on up
need to acquire in order to function well at home, in school, at work, and
in the community.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81036439445?pwd=TDNkcGcxeVQ0aTYxVlpMWTA0L2djZz09

Meeting ID: 810 3643 9445

Passcode: 326416

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,81036439445#,,,,*326416# US (Chicago)

+19292056099,,81036439445#,,,,*326416# US (New York)

Dial by your location

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 810 3643 9445

Passcode: 326416
Saturday, November 13, 2021–Afternoon General Session1:00 PM- Announcements
Linda Melendez, President, NFBNJ1:10 PM-Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at
the NFBColon Wong, Co-chair, National Diversity and Inclusion
Committee; panelists
Richard Fox, Vincent Elorza, Jocelyn Santiago, Nimisha, Rana and Clarke
King, Members, NFBNJ.  Learn about the committee’s mission, how families
and cultural backgrounds shape our attitudes about blindness both
positively and negatively, and how we can share Federation philosophy with
people of all backgrounds.1:55 PM –The Student PerspectiveTreasa Perino and
Kaleigh Brendle, National and State Scholarship Winners2:15 PM –TTJ: The
Tech JuggernautMatt Vollbrecht, Certified Apple Instructor, Owner, The Tech
Juggernaut3:00 PM-Fit break3:10 PM–Making Lemonade Out of Lemons during the
PandemicCarley Mullin, Mary Jo Partyka and Annemarie Cooke, Members, NFBNJ,
share how they used their new-found time to hone and share their skills
which include singing/songwriting, technology, and cooking.3:40 PM— Why
Choose an NFB Center?

Lauren Altman, graduate, Louisiana Center for the Blind; Klaus Zechner,
graduate, Colorado Center for the Blind; and Brian McGrath, graduate, BLIND
INC discuss how they have raised their own expectations and acquired
critical blindness skills.
4:20 PM–Why I Am A Federationist

Carol Castellano, Founder, Parents of Blind Children-New Jersey; author;
and long time member.
4:35 PM-NFB and NFBNJ Fun Facts

Joseph Ruffalo, immediate past President, NFBNJ; current 1st Vice
President, NFBNJ; President, NFBNJ At-Large Chapter

4:50 PM-Announcements and Closing Remarks

Linda Melendez, President NFBNJ
7:00 PM–Banquet

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/6477660103?pwd=MUl1dnZQU1JxMkhUemdCSHZUM21HUT09

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (New York)
+13017158592,,6477660103#,,,,*460994# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 647 766 0103
Passcode: 460994

Master of Ceremonies—Nicky Gacos, President, National Association of Blind
Merchants
Invocation—Fr. Maximilian Buonocore, Monk of Newark Abbey
Keynote Address—Patti Chang, NFB National Representative
Presentation of Awards—Rick Fox, President, NFBNJ Northern Chapter
Recognition of Contributors to State Scholarships—Lia Stone, Chair,
Scholarship Committee
Presentation of State Scholarship Awards—Lia Stone
Door prizes

**Agenda subject to change**

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey expresses appreciation
to all members and nonmembers who attended the 45th virtual state
convention.

president at nfbnj.org

For the list of affiliate board members, chapters, divisions, committees,

projects and programs, please visit the state website at
www.nfbnj.org

Meet our National Representative: Patti Gregory-Chang, Director of
Outreach, Attorney, Advocate, Mother

After graduating from Harbor Springs High School in 1981, Patti planned to
attend school with hopes of becoming a teacher of the visually impaired.
After earning her teaching certificate at Michigan State University, she
discovered a passion for law and enrolled in the University of Chicago Law
School.

Patti graduated from law school in 1988 and worked in the City of Chicago
Law Department for twenty-eight years. She began her tenure in the Traffic
Division and worked her way up to Assistant Corporation Counsel. In this
position she prosecuted housing court matters in the Circuit Court of Cook
County and handled collection matters for the Building and Land Use
Litigation Division of the City of Chicago Law Department.

Patti became Senior Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago
Law Department in 1998. In this role she prosecuted cases, supervised
attorneys prosecuting cases, coordinated law clerks and externs, and served
on various committees and task forces. She belongs to several professional
associations including the National Association of Blind Lawyers, the
Association of Fundraising Professionals, and the Illinois State Bar
Association. Patti currently serves as Secretary of the Disability Law
Committee of the Illinois State Bar Association and as a member of the
Administrative Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association.

In 2016 Patti embarked on a second career, accepting the position of
Director of Outreach for the National Federation of the Blind, the largest
organization of blind people in the world.

In fact, Patti has devoted much of her free time to the National Federation
of the Blind since joining in 1981. Patti currently serves as the 2nd Vice
President of the Illinois affiliate of the NFB and has served on its
National Board of Directors as well as working as national scholarship
committee chair for some years.

Patti lives in Chicago. In her spare time, Patti and her husband love
traveling, dancing, and enjoy spending time with family and friends. They
boast of two successful adult children, Johnathon and Julia, and a
wonderful grandchild, Kayla Ma Chang.
National Scholarship Program–Call for Applications Begins November 1

Every year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000
to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional
aspirations. The scholarship program is our commitment to academic
excellence and leadership among blind students, and each winner is awarded
on the basis of academic excellence, community service, and leadership. The
application process opens November 1. Review the online scholarship
application checklist and the scholarship program FAQs. Share this
opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. To learn about the
eligibility and requirements of the 2022 scholarship program visit
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program
NFB T-Shirts for Sale

Maybe some of your chapter members are new, maybe some members haven’t yet
purchased one for their wardrobe, and maybe some members and nonmembers are
looking for a spare.

Our t-shirts are heather red with white print. The top left on the front
has our logo and in two lines beneath, The National Federation of the
Blind. The back in two lines says, Live the Life You Want. Shirts are
available in sizes small, medium and large. Price is $18. To get your
shirt contact
Anne Marie Harris at lovey1160 at gmail.com or 856 589 8747.
Pre-Authorized Contribution Plan (PAC Plan)

We encourage all members and conventioneers to join the PAC Plan. This plan
raises funds for the National Federation of the Blind by automatically
debiting your checking account or charging your credit/debit card the
specified monthly amount you designate, as little as $5 a month.
Individuals already enrolled are encouraged to raise their monthly
contributions.

To arrange for PAC Plan contributions go to www.nfb.org/pac and fill out
the form. The National Center will call you to take payment information.
You can also call 877 635 2711 or email pac at nfb.org to enroll.

The National Center will contact individuals for financial and banking
information following the convention. For additional assistance contact Mac
Biggers, NFBNJ PAC Plan Coordinator, at 801 916 9753.

Again, visit www.nfb.org/pac

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey thanks the following
sponsors and vendors for their continued support with raising expectations

 to live the life we want.
Sponsors

*We Are More Than The Sum Of One:*

Annapurna Realty LLC

*Blind With Vision:*

Collazo Family

Vis-Ability Inc.

*Live The Life You Want:*

3D PhotoWorks

Anonymous

Ellen Sullivan

Joe & Judy Ruffalo & Family

Melendez Family

Monique Coleman

NFBNJ Chapters: At Large and Northern

NFBNJ Divisions: Parents of Blind Children-NJ

*Raising Expectations:*

American Printing House for the Blind Connect Center

Annemarie Cooke

Ellen Schaffer-Williams

Eyes Like Mine

Geri McGinty

Jane & Larry Degenshein

Jocelyn & Tony Santiago

Linda DeBerardinis

Linda Halm

Mary Jo & Stan Partyka

NFBNJ Chapters: Capital, Central Jersey, Garden State,
 Northeast, and South Jersey Shore

NFBNJ Committees: Braille, Diabetic, and Guide Dog

NFBNJ Divisions: Seniors, Sports & Recreation, Students, and Technology

Patti Chang

Tom Browne

Weinstein Family
Exhibitors

American Printing House for the Blind Connect Center

Olaya Landa-Vialard, Director

1839 Frankfort Ave.

Louisville, KY 40206

713 542 1401

olvialard at aph.org

https://aphconnectcenter.org

The APH Connect Center is a one stop shop for information about visual
impairment/blindness. We have an Information and Referral line staffed from
8 - 8 EST M-F. We have a suite of websites: familyconnect.org;
visionaware.org; aphcareerconnect.org.

Take a look at our Community Calendar to find out about events happening
near you. Access our Getting Started Guide for those new to vision loss.
C TECH

Chuck Cohen, President

2 N. William St.

Pearl River, NY 10965

845 735 7907

chuck at magnifyit.com

http://ctechlowvision.com

C TECH is a leading distributor of quality products for the blind and
visually impaired OrCam, Envision, Reinecker, and Eschenbach to name a few.
OrCam

Eve Posner, NJ Distributor

25 Luth Terrace

West Orange, NJ 07052

973 820 5090

emposner at comcast.net

https://GetOrCam.com <https://getorcam.com/>

OrCam, the world's most advanced AI tech for people with vision loss and
reading difficulties, takes a picture of something visual & converts it
into audio in real time. Small, lightweight, discreet, and portable, use it
–no WIFI or connectivity needed.
SW Unlimited

Sherlock Washington, President

1033 Chandler Ave.

Linden, NJ 07036

732 290 1677

sherlock at swunlimited.com

http://www.swunlimited.com

Dealer in adaptive technology products and services for blind and visually
impaired individuals from low tech to high tech, such as screen readers,
refreshable Braille devices, computers, notetakers, and digital devices.
The Seeing Eye

Chelsea White, Outreach Specialist

P.O. Box 375

 Morristown, NJ 07963

973-539-4425

 whitec at seeingeye.org

https://www.seeingeye.org

The Seeing Eye, located in Morristown NJ, is the oldest dog guide school in
the world. If you are interested in partnering with a dog guide come and
see what we have to offer.

Vanda Pharmaceuticals

Maggie Felton, Clinical Nurse Educator

2200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Suite 300 E

Washington DC 20037

maggie.felton at vandapharma.com

https://vandapharma.com

Phone: 202 579 8035

Email: maggiefelton at vandapharma.com

Vanda Pharmaceuticals is dedicated to raising awareness of Non-24-Hour
Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24) and supporting the blindness community. To
learn more about Non-24 or to request a speaker, please contact Maggie
Felton.

To view the most current listing of this year’s sponsors, please visit
https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/exhibitors-and-sponsors/sponsors.

We are grateful to those who contributed time, effort, and suggestions to
show We Are More Than the Sum of One!