[NFBNJ] Fwd: Free and Discounted Uber and Lyft Rides for those Affected by Tropical Storm Ida

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Thu Sep 9 22:58:50 UTC 2021

--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Gaston, Pamela <Pamela.Gaston at dhs.nj.gov>
Date: Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 6:48 PM
Subject: Free and Discounted Uber and Lyft Rides for those Affected by
Tropical Storm Ida
To: CBVI Public-Email <CBVI.Public-Email at dhs.nj.gov>

Governor Murphy Announces Partnership With Uber and Lyft to Provide Ride
Service to Residents Who Lost Transportation as a Result of Tropical Storm
Ida
09/8/2021

*TRENTON* – Governor Phil Murphy today announced a partnership with
rideshare companies Uber and Lyft in conjunction with United Way Worldwide
and NJ 211 to provide access to free and discounted rides to New Jersey
residents who lost a personal vehicle as a result of Tropical Storm Ida.

Over the next two weeks, New Jersey residents who lost a vehicle and need
help accessing essential services can text NJIDARIDE to 898-211 to request
a Lyft or Uber ride. Those without access to a smartphone can dial 2-1-1
from any phone line.

“In the aftermath of Tropical Storm Ida, we must come together as a
community and pick one another up,” *said Governor Murphy.* “I want to
thank both Uber and Lyft for their generous offer of transportation for New
Jerseyans in need.”

“Nobody should have to worry after a natural disaster how they will get to
essential places like the grocery store and medical appointments. Lyft is
proud to join Governor Murphy in helping New Jerseyans get where they need
to go until they can get back on their feet,” *said Lyft Social Impact
Director Lisa Boyd*.

“It is critical that everyone come together to support those in need and we
are proud to work with Governor Murphy to provide essential transportation
services across the state. We hope to play a small role in helping New
Jersey residents get back on their feet,” *said Alix Anfang, spokesperson,
Uber.*

“NJ 211 continues to answer the call for help from those impacted by
Tropical Storm Ida. Over 1,000 contacts have been handled since the storm
hit. We are thrilled to partner with Lyft and Uber to provide this
essential service to our residents,” *said Melissa Acree, Executive
Director of NJ 211*.

Some limitations may apply to the transportation offerings available from
each company, so riders can contact 211 for additional information.

Tropical Storm Ida produced massive flooding throughout New Jersey, leaving
thousands of residents without basic needs such as housing and
transportation. Governor Murphy has declared a State of Emergency, which
will facilitate access to federal relief aid. In the short term, the state
has made available $10 million to help small businesses with rent payments
as they recover from the storm. On Monday, the governor announced FEMA has
approved a Major Disaster Declaration in Bergen, Gloucester, Hunterdon,
Middlesex, Passaic, and Somerset counties, with more assessments and
additional counties expected to be included as the process develops. The
declaration allows individuals in the six approved counties to register at
www.disasterassistance.gov
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/t.e2ma.net/click/7m3pkf/j83xrcb/njf9xr__;!!J30X0ZrnC1oQtbA!aXLgQnIvKrmHkuPT5m-IRUU60lxQVUqPidqz69kztdeV5JzmHXtyl6cLeAU60bGiShTNPPWT$>
 for direct assistance for Ida-related recovery, which may include home
repairs, temporary housing, low-cost loans, and other programs to help
recover from the effects of the tropical storm.

This E-mail, including any attachments, may be intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named above.
This message may include advisory, consultative and/or deliberative
material and, as such, would be privileged and confidential and not a
public document. Any Information in this e-mail identifying a client of the
Department of Human Services is confidential. If you have received this
e-mail in error, you must not review, transmit, convert to hard copy, copy,
use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to it and you must delete
this message. You are requested to notify the sender by return e-mail.
--

​Warmly,
Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*