[NFBO-Springfield] February 2022 Meeting Minutes.

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:24:23 UTC 2022

Here are the minutes from our last meeting. I am putting the Minutes in
both the body of the email and as a Word attachment.

*National Federation of the Blind Springfield Chapter Meeting Minutes
February 19, 2022*

Attendees:

Debbie Baker, President
Todd Elzey, Secretary
Eric Duffy
Mickie Cooper
Macy McClain
Mickie Cooper

President Baker opened the meeting by talking about having contact with a
potential new member Bill McNabb.

President Baker entertained a motion to accept the Secretary’s report
submitted via email on Friday, February 18, 2022. Hans moved, and Macy
Seconded the motion to accept the Secretary’s report. The motion was passed
without objection.

Todd presented the Treasurer’s Report in Crystal’s absence. The Chapter’s
January 2022 beginning bank balance was $4,431.95. The Chapter had income
of $20 in dues, and $100 in return of Washington Seminar Travel expense
advance. The Chapter had expenses of $20 for the monthly PAC donation, and
$300 for the donation to the American Red Cross. The Chapter had an ending
balance of $4,231.95. Eric moved to accept the Treasurer’s report as
presented, Hans seconded the motion.  The motion was approved without
objection.

Todd discussed how the Affiliate would be taking over responsibility for
ensuring that all Chapter’s maintain their Fictitious Business Name/Doing
Business As (DBA) filing with the Secretary of State. The Affiliate is
taking over this function to ensure consistency and to make sure that our
filings do not lapse.

Todd discussed article  iPhoneography – Photography for All (
https://nfb.org//sites/default/files/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr32/1/fr320106.htm
<https://nfb.org/sites/default/files/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr32/1/fr320106.htm>)
which appeared in the Winter 2013 issue of Future Reflections magazine.
Todd discussed how the article showed that blind people can be successful
photographers, which is something that many sighted individuals wouldn’t
associate with being blind. Todd also talked about some of the
accessibility features of the iPhone that allow blind individuals to take
quality photos and videos. Finally, Todd used the article as an example of
how we can push ourselves to step outside of the box to try new things that
perhaps others or even ourselves don’t think we can do because of
blindness..

President Baker volunteered to present an article for discussion at the
March 2022 meeting..

President Baker also asked if anyone had run into anything new technology
wise they were having problems with.

President Baker indicated that registration for National Convention starts
March 1st. She stated that Registration usually runs through May 31st.  The
National Convention will be held July 5-10, 2022 in New Orleans.
Registration is $25, the Banquet ticket is $70. More information about the
convention and making hotel reservations can be found in the January 2022
Braille Monitor at
https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm220102.htm
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm220102.htm>.  You
can also find the convention registration link and information about the
virtual convention experience at
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention.

The Chapter discussed going back to in person meetings. The Chapter agreed
that we should go back to in person meetings. President Baker agreed to
start looking for a location for the March meeting.

President Baker gave a report on the 4 issues we presented for Washington
Seminar. This year’s four issues were the Access Technology Affordability
Act (H.R. 431 and S. 212), the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
(H.R. 4853), the Twenty-First Century Websites & Applications Accessibility
Act, and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R.
2373 and S. 3238). Members can find fact sheets on each of the four issues
at:  https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar.

Eric talked about H.B. 448, our Accessible Prescription Labeling bill. Eric
also talked about SB 202, our Parental Rights Legislation being paused for
a bit because of an independent living center’s (The Ability Center)
concern with the language of the legislation. Todd talked about the need
for everyone to respond when we the affiliate asks for help on legislation.

President Baker indicated that the National Braille Press is asking that
organizations conduct marathon type events to raise money to help fund free
braille books for children and adults.

The Chapter scheduled the next meeting for March 19, 2022, at 10:00 A.M. at
a location to be determined.

The meeting was adjourned.