[NFBofAlaska] Information regarding 2020 board elections for the NFB of Alaska

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 05:57:31 UTC 2020

Greetings to National Federation of the Blind of Alaska Members:

This note is specifically about voting virtually. Please read it carefully
as it is important for us to make sure that all members can vote. We also
want to make sure that all candidates may share information to fellow
members to have a fair and honest election.

Typically, chapters send a delegate to be on a nominating committee. This is
done at our National level as well with each state sending a delegate to be
on the nominating committee. Because we are not currently operating as an
affiliate with chapters, we want to make sure that anyone interested in
running for a board position has the opportunity to share information that
will give members the information needed to make their selection.

Therefore, I am sharing the policies and procedures we will be following to
ensure those who want to run for office are given the opportunity and those
who are chosen are the best for our board. The NFB of Alaska State
Constitution requires that elections be held every even year with all board

positions up for election.

1.	Anyone who runs for an office must be a member of the organization,
meaning you have paid your dues for 2020 either on the website or a check
sent. (Note: the information for paying dues has been both emailed to our
NFB of Alaska mailing list and is available on our Alaska NFB
<https://alaskanfb.org/renew-membership/> Website
2.	The National Federation of the Blind of Alaska along with our
National organization is an organization of blind people for blind people,
though we invite and encourage our sighted family members and friends to
join. Our constitution requires the president and vice president be blind
and that a majority of board members be blind.
3.	We do not take being on an Affiliate Board of the National
Federation of the Board lightly. Ours is an organization with the goal of
collective activism; seeking to achieve equality, opportunity, and security
for the blind. You must be willing to learn about and support the policies
and programs of the federation and abide by its constitution. You must be
willing to participate with the board in carrying out specific duties of
your position, attend board meetings and offer time and support as we carry
out the goals and programs of the Alaska Affiliate and our National
organization.
4.	Elections will occur during a session of our convention. Since there
will be no nominating committee, any member may choose to run for any
position by submitting their name to the president by October 22 or by
simply declaring their desire to run from the floor.

5.       Each candidate will have the opportunity to speak for up to three
minutes, declaring their intensions to run and sharing information with
members about why they are the best person for the position they seek.
Elections will be held immediately following campaign speeches.

The following list includes all Board positions along with the names of
those who intend to run again.

President, Bonnie Lucas, plans on running again

First Vice, Open

Second Vice, William Craig, plans on running again

Secretary, Open

Treasurer, Carmen Jameson, plans on running again

Board Member at large, Candy Powell, plans on running again

Board member at large, Open

If you have any questions regarding the details of the election, you are
encouraged to get in touch with Bonnie Lucas or another board member.

Bonnie Lucas

President

National Federation of the Blind of Alaska

907-301-6808

 <mailto:nfbofalaska at gmail.com> nfbofalaska at gmail.com

 <mailto:nfbofalaska at gmail.com> nfbalaska.org

blindness is not what holds you back.