[NFBofAlaska] Happy Thanksgiving and the holiday season is here! from your National Federation of the Blind of Alaska, please read!

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 07:06:28 UTC 2021

((Holiday Party, Friday, December 10, held virtually, 6:30 PM, link to come later. (To find out more, continue reading!)

Greeting to my NFB Family and Friends!

Folks, it’s time for a Holiday Party and whether you live in Anchorage or somewhere else in our grand, expansive state, you are invited. Though virtual, I hope the following information will convince you to tune in! So, here’s the deal…

*	We are going to use the Audiovault website <https://audiovault.net/movies>  to watch/listen to a movie. There is no video but plenty of movies with audio-description. We want your recommendations.  You may send them to nfbofalaska at gmail.com <mailto:nfbofalaska at gmail.com>
*	elections need not be strictly Holiday themes but those that will engage a wide audience would be nice.
*	The board will choose and vote on the movie. As you determine the movie you think we should “watch/listen to,” keep in mind that we will have a variety of participants. Need I say more? Oh, and did I say there is no video, thus no concern for copyright issues? , Audiovault has no video but it does have audio-description. Kind of cool, don’t you think? Oh, and did say, the person who picks the winning movie will receive a prize.
*	For all who attend the party, we will be drawing a name to receive a gift certificate to a business from Anchorage or the community where they live.

Because we did not have affiliate elections this year, we were not as diligent with collecting our organization’s annual dues. However, it is election year for the anchorage Chapter and we are going to elect new officers. However, in order to vote or run for office, folks must be dues paying members. This is not hard as $5 qualifies one to vote! For those who made donations for our State Convention, we are happy to use $5 from your donation to cover your dues.

If you do not live in Anchorage but would like to vote or perhaps run for office, in checking the Constitution, I did not find anything that says you cannot. I so look forward to getting our Anchorage Chapter up and running again with in person meetings, hopefully after the first of the year! This link will allow you to pay your dues <https://alaskanfb.org/renew-membership/> .

More exciting news:

*	Beginning on December 1, there will be two different scholarships available to anyone beginning or continuing in higher education. First, and so exciting, the NFB of Alaska, through generous donations, is honored to give away two $500 scholarships. Stay tuned for the link.
*	Nationally, the NFB awards more scholarship money to blind and low vision people than any other organization. Winners of this scholarship receive a full-paid trip to New Orleans, where the 2022 National Convention will be held. To learn more, click here <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program> .

*	December Presidential Release Reminder: On December First you are invited to tune in to the live Presidential Release, presented by President Mark Riccobono at 4:00 PM, Alaska time. The link will be sent later.

*	From the National Office: Upcoming Early Childhood Initiatives: Santa Letters and Winter Celebration Program:

This year, the National Federation of the Blind is not only helping Santa out with Braille letters to blind children, we are also expanding our program to have a winter-themed Braille letter for those who do not celebrate the Christmas holiday. We are excited to provide both of these letters in English and Spanish. Parents of children under the age of ten can select one of the options that best fits their family.

Starting November 8, parents can request the Braille activity packet online, via fax, or email. The celebration packets will start going out to blind children around the country on December 6. The Braille letter will also be accompanied by a print copy for the whole family to participate in the fun activities that accompany the celebration letters. The deadline for letter requests is December 17 to ensure that a return letter in Braille is received before the winter season ends. Learn more about the Santa Letters and Winter Celebration Program <https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters> .

*	From time to time, affiliate members around the country are encouraged to call or write our elected leaders in congress. When I receive such information, I try to send it out to our mailing list. We are generally asked to write or call our members of congress to as for their support for a particular bill. I personally understand how difficult this can be for any number of reasons. Part of what makes this organization so effective is its dogged pursuit of legislation that will improve the lives of all blind and low vision Americans. I hope you will opportune yourselves to the awesome privilege of communicating with elected officials regarding what we believe is best for all.

*	Finally, Be on the lookout for an excellent fund raising opportunity that involved no collecting of money, purchasing of product, and simply a link that you may text or email to family or friends. Oh Yes, did I mention it tastes good as well? Gift giving will like it too! 😊

May our board members and I, William Craig, Pam Van Hoozer, Carmen Jameson, Brian Blair, Katie Lester and Candy Powell wish each of you a pleasant Thanksgiving. We look forward to sharing and engaging with you at our annual Holiday party. Be well.

(Spoiler Alert… It’s popcorn!

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Fb will open its scholarship applications on December first as well. The NFB Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>

[Delegate-BML]