[NFBofAlaska] A couple quick notes from the president of the Alaska NFB!

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 00:04:39 UTC 2022

Candy Powell, a dear friend of our friend, Tom Torvie, let me know that the
song I picked and shared to link to on my most recent newsy letter was not
him, but his friend a fellow band member Michael. So, Candy kindly gave me a
correct link. If you are not aware, Tom passed away last May. He was blind
and was well-known to many in Alaska. His band, the Nuther Brothers,  played
for our 2020 fund raiser and were so generous with the money they made
through selling their CD's. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/0dndqKVlz-k

*	If you are a student, or no a student,  who hasn't chatted with me
about applying for the student scholarship program of the NFB, now is the
time to get in touch, by writing or calling. Contact info is below. Do not
hit reply because your email will go to the whole list.
*	Now is the time to plan to go to convention from July 5-10 in New
Orleans. I promise you will be empowered when you leave and you will be
ready to tackle your blindness challenges with renewed vigor and hope.
Please talk to me and let's see what we can work out for you to go. There is
a first-timer's scholarship that you can apply for. To come without a
parent, you need to be at least 18.

*	We had a great All-State Chapter meeting last night where Anat
Nullman provided a demonstration of the REALsam, speech only, phone. It is
new to the US and they are still in the process of making many upgrades to
make it work better. If you would like more information, you may go to their
website at

https://realsam.us/

Be well and enjoy the cold!

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>
blindness is not what holds you back.