[NFBofAlaska] Resending information to send letters for creating accessible voting in Alaska

lucas.bonnie at gmail.com lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 01:24:48 UTC 2022

Hello,

I sent a reminder yesterday so we can continue encouraging everyone to click on a link which will allow you to send letters to our Alaska Legislators, explaining the importance of being able to vote, completely independently using the technology you are used to using. Here is the information again as it was inadvertently not included yesterday. Thank you to those who have sent their responses already and thank you to anyone who participates in the next few days. For those who have not looked at the information, you do not have to write a letter. It has been written for you. The more that participate, the better! Here is the info:

Hello All,

As many of you know, the members of the National Federation of the Blind of Alaska have had discussions around making sure that voting is accessible for those who are blind or low vision, and frankly anyone with a disability needs to be able to participate in elections equally. Sometime ago, I was contacted by Jocelyn Bucaro, the director of Mobile Voting with Tusk Philanthropies. This is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to increasing voter participation by making voting as convenient and accessible as possible. They believe the best way to do that is to expand voting options to include digital absentee voting, including on a mobile device. They have supported mobile voting pilots in over 20 elections across seven states since 2018. Most pilots have been for military and overseas citizen voters, with a handful of pilots expanding to include voters with disabilities and even all eligible voters. These pilots have proven the technology exists and we can increase participation when we make voting easier and more accessible.

Tusk Philanthropies is working with the NFB and other community partners. Both Jeff Kaloc and Lou Anne Blake from the NFB were included on the original letter sent to me. .

Since our initial discussion, bills have been introduced in both houses of the Alaska Legislature. We have been invited to click on the following link to view the “Call to Action page,” where supporters of this bill can submit emails to their lawmakers through this site.

https://action.mobilevoting.org/alaska/

The site is accessible!😊

Warmest regards,

Bonnie

Bonnie Lucas
President
National Federation of the Blind of Alaska
Cell: 907-301-6808

Email: lucas.bonnie at gmail.com <mailto:lucas.bonnie at gmail.com>

Web: alaskanfb.org <https://alaskanfb.org/>

[Delegate-BML]