[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1461

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 18:10:09 UTC 2014

August 13, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1461

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              The Fifty-eighth Annual Convention of the National Federation
of the Blind of South Carolina was held at the Columbia Marriott during the
weekend of August 8 through 10.  President Mark Riccobono was our National
Representative, and we were proud of the fact that he was attending his
first state convention as National President.  "Are you a driver, or a
passenger?"  This was his question for us at the Banquet.

The assignment President Riccobono gave us, as expressed in his remarks
throughout the Convention was to build the Federation.  This begins with the
75 Days of Action (as we establish new chapters and revitalize existing
ones) over a 75-day period from September 2 through November 16, 2014, the
seventy-fourth anniversary of the establishment of the National Federation
of the Blind.

The Luncheon featured an excellent presentation by Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman,
President of the South Carolina Parents of Blind Children division of the
NFB of SC, and Cherokee County Chapter President, Jamie Allison, who was our
teacher at the NFB BELL in South Carolina program, which wrapped-up just
before the start of the 2014 Convention.

During the 2014 Convention, we celebrated seventy years of progress since
the South Carolina Aurora Club was established in 1944.  Marshall and Lois
Tucker (two former Presidents of the NFB of SC) participated on the program
and (along with Dr. Capps) discussed the growth of the fledgling
organization into a statewide power wielding tremendous influence in the
state blindness field.

Another State President, Bob Bell of Laurens, who passed away in March of
2014, was remembered in a program item which kicked-off the afternoon
session.  Mark Bell, one of Bob's sons, David Houck, Dr. Capps, and I shared
memories of Bob:  with members of Bob's family (including Bob's wife Doris
and son Robby Bell (and a number of Bob's grandchildren) attending in the
audience.

At the Convention, David Houck announced that he would not be a candidate
for Treasurer in 2014, as he has many other Federation responsibilities, and
he hoped to encourage other leaders to step forward and share their talents.
Valerie Warrington was unanimously and enthusiastically elected Treasurer.
Linda Dizzley was also elected to the State Board.

Others elected included Parnell Diggs of Myrtle Beach, Frank Coppel of
Columbia, Lenora Robertson of Rock Hill, Dorothy Barksdale of Columbia,
Shannon Cook of Columbia, JW Smith of Greenville, Marty McKenzie of
Clarendon County, and Loretta Green of Dorchester County.  Congratulations
to each of you.  We have a strong Board in the NFB of SC.

Speaking of the Board, here is an important word about the December Board
Retreat.  The Rocky Bottom Board Retreat will occur during the weekend of
December 12 through 14.  Please mark your calendar and note this change
accordingly.

I have an announcement from Computer Science and Technology Division
President, Steve Cook.  Here is what he says.  "NFB-NEWSLINE and the South
Carolina Commission for the Blind present An Accessible World of Information
at Your Finger Tips using an iPod, iPad or iPhone.  When: Tuesday, August
19, 2014: Time: 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

NFB-NEWSLINE MOBILE APP on YOUR IOS device  Just dial up, enter the meeting
ID, announce yourself and join your South Carolina neighbors who want to
become more proficient with or begin to use the FREE NFB-NEWSLINE MOBILE
APP!!!  Dial in number 712-432-1212 and enter the meeting ID 996766718.
Call Steve Cook at 803-898-8788 or Email stcook at sccb.sc.gov with any
questions."  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President
Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              The 70th anniversary convention of the NFB of SC was
outstanding in every respect.  Congratulations to President Diggs for a job
well done.  Also, I'm grateful for the participants who were interesting and
inspiring.  The newly elected RBRCCB Board of Directors is as follows:
Chairman Donald Capps, Vice Chairman Frank Coppel, Secretary Dorothy
Barksdale, Treasurer Valerie Warrington, Dr. Tom Bowen, Parnell Diggs,
Lenora Robertson, David Houck, Debra Canty and Tracy Spittle.

              We must now turn our attention to the annual Fun Day Festival
which is just around the corner, only two weeks from now.  Reservations from
throughout the state have been much greater than usual.  In Positive Notes
dated July 23 and July 30 we urged everyone to make their reservations and
an extraordinary turnout responded.  The result is as of today, August 12,
it appears we are at about 90% of capacity.  However, it is quite possible
that by the time you receive this information; additional reservations will
have been received resulting in a full house.  Also, to accommodate the
large turnout there will have to be maximum sharing of rooms but as stated
time and time again at the convention, we are a Federation family and
sharing is therefore in order.  While we hope that we can avoid having to
turn away anyone, it is quite possible this may occur but we will do what we
can to accommodate as many as possible.  I am glad that I urged the
statewide membership to make their reservations in two Positive Notes and
this year the response for reservations has been overwhelming.  I feel that
everyone attending the Fun Day Festival will have a wonderful time with
sharing being an important part of our participation.

              Just about everyone will be arriving on Friday evening, August
29 and departing on Monday afternoon, September 1.  Our Resident Manager,
Elsie Duncan will have all room assignments.  Lenora Robertson who is in
charge of the food service tells me breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m.,
lunch will be served at 12:30 p.m., and dinner at 6:00 p.m.  As most of you
know, only $30 is charged per person for the three nights and seven meals.
You can't get that bargain anywhere else.  Your $30 payments should be given
to our newly elected Treasurer, Valerie Warrington.  On Saturday we will
have the auction handled by President Diggs beginning at about 11:00 a.m.,
the Fun Day ticket drawing and lunch time food sales.   President Diggs will
head up BINGO which will get underway at about 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.   By
having the auction on Saturday, participants will be able to leave shortly
after lunch on Monday and return home at a reasonable hour.  On Sunday we
will have a gospel sing.  On Monday there will be exhibits including the Old
Country Store handled by first lady Kim Diggs, a yard sale handled by Alma
Lee Doyle, Rocky Bottom merchandise handled by Frank Coppel and Monday lunch
food sales.   We need to sell as many $5 Fun Day tickets as possible and we
must do that now.  Items for the auction sale are needed as well as for the
yard sale and the Old Country Store.  We have a good amount of Rocky Bottom
merchandise and you will want to utilize that important project.  We are
sending the Rocky Bottom community invitations which we trust will increase
their participation.  The annual Fun Day Festival is the only statewide
fundraiser sponsored by RBRCCB and we will want to give this project our
very best effort.  We hope that several of our chapters if unable to spend
the entire weekend will come to the Saturday auction beginning at about
11:00 a.m. and the Monday morning activities including lunch.

Final Thought:  "Are you the driver of your life or are you just the
passenger?" - Mark Riccabono