[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 13:11:07 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

August 15, 2014

FEE BINGO

              Thursday, August 21 we will have our quarterly free BINGO
hosted by the Telephone Pioneers beginning at 7:00 p.m.

ROCKY BOTTOM LABOR DAY WEEKEND FUN DAY

              Wow!  We as of this date have over 60 cancelled in
reservations with one-fourth coming from the Columbia area.  We have started
a waiting list in case there are any cancellations.  By the way, if you want
a Rocky Bottom T-0shirt or hat, they will be available at BINGO on Thursday,
August 21.  Last chance to get in on the Fun Day ticket drawing on Saturday,
August 30!  Get or turn in your $5 ticket stubs and money either at BINGO or
to David Houck before Friday, August 29 at the Federation Center or bring
them to Fun Day by Saturday, August 30 at 12 noon.  Below are the details of
what's happening during Labor Day weekend in case you can join us for the
day:          On Saturday, August 30 we will have an exciting auction
handled by President Parnell Diggs beginning at about 11:00 a.m., in the
Conference Center by the pool.  The $5 Fun Day ticket drawing will take
place following the auction and we have enclosed five tickets for your use.
Please bring the $5 per ticket with your filled out stubs to the camp by 12
noon on Saturday to be in time for the drawing.   Then join us for a hearty
luncheon.  Our federation First Lady Kim Diggs will head up a BINGO which
will get underway at about 3:00 p.m. on Saturday at an affordable price.

Please join us Sunday afternoon, August 31 at about 2:00 p.m. for a gospel
sing.  Also, please join us Monday morning, September 1 (Labor Day) as we
will have several exhibits including the Old Country Store handled by Kim
Diggs, a yard sale handled by Alma Lee Doyle, Rocky Bottom hats, T-shirts,
etc., handled by Frank Coppel and join us for a very affordable lunch!  Fun
Day shuts down at 1:00 p.m. on Labor Day.

OTHER ACTIVITIES

              The Federation Choir will meet at the Federation Center
between 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, August 26.

Tickets are on sale (one for $2 or three for $5) for a drawing to support
the Columbia Chapter.  A sweetheart of a deal!  President Steve Sheck is
selling the tickets for a one night's stay at the Columbia Marriott for
either Friday or Saturday evening of Valentine's Day weekend (February 13 or
14, 2015) plus a bottle of wine and breakfast at the Marriott.  The drawing
is scheduled for Saturday, January 31, 2015 during the Statewide Seminar.

              The covered dish dinner has been changed to Friday, September
5 between 6 to 10 p.m. The cost of this chapter fundraiser is $10 per person
and it will be all you can eat until it's gone!  If you plan to come,
contact Jennifer Bazer at 661-6622 or by email at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com.  Please
do not call her after 9:00 p.m.  We need to coordinate what you are bringing
as we need salads, vegetables, meats and deserts.  Tea and soft drinks will
be provided.  Bring Braille UNO cards, etc. and we'll have a great time.

              In October we are planning a fish fry with more details to
come.  Nothing fishy about that!

              Our October 9 chapter meeting will be election night.  Steve
Sheck appointed the following Nominating Committee which will meet before
the October meeting to set the 2015 slate of officers:  Chairman David
Houck, David Bundy, Pat Wolthoff , Maggie Floyd, and Julia Rembert.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING AUGUST 14, 2014

              We missed a few members due to illness and injury.  Frank
Coppel's guide dog Rita had to be put to sleep as well.  We had a large turn
out with more than expected.  Membership applications were passed out.
Darlene Houck gave a devotional on the story behind the hymn "I Know Whom I
Have Believed" which was written during the battle of Vicksburg during the
Civil War.  We also found out that "give Me That Old Time Religion" began in
Lexington, SC and there is a historical marker about it on Church Street.
David Houck gave the Center report, advising the audience of the Palmetto
Blind being sent out by mail, email and Braille.  The cassette version has
not yet been received and will be distributed once we receive the master
tape from the national office. There was $2,400 plus in the chapter treasury
and our 50-50 drawing yielded a prize of $41 which was won by Shannon Cook.
Congratulations Shannon!  By the way, Dr. Capps' birthday is Saturday,
August 30 and at that time he will be 86.  Congratulations on your birthday!

Steve Sheck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC