[Nfbofsc] NFB Sumter Chapter Newsletter for August 18, 2014

Debra Canty debracanc2 at myfrontiermail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:40:43 UTC 2014

Monday, August 18, 2014-----NFB Sumter Chapter Newsletter

The Sumter Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind recently gathered with chapters from across the state  for the          Fifty-eighth Annual Convention of the South Carolina affiliate under the leadership of our State President, Parnell Diggs. The convention was held at the Columbia Marriott during the weekend of August 8-10th.

Our newly elected national president Mark Riccobono was the keynote speaker and he left us with this thought, "Are you a driver or a passenger" as federationists. His message was powerful along with his remarks during the general session on Saturday as well.

Also, during the banquet (3) members of the Sumter Chapter which included, Neil Towery for the President's Citation Award, Judy L. Simon for the Associate Member of the Year Award and Alexus Blanding who was a recipient of a scholarship were recognized along with others at the banquet at the state convention as well.

There will be eleven chapter members attending FUN DAY weekend in Rocky Bottom during Labor Day weekend in the mountains of Pickens County. Please turn in all of your $5.00 fun day tickets soon.

There were excited and enthused federationists from across the state who helped raised funds for the center with checks and cash in hand and others made pledges and we received in the neighborhood of $8,600.00 dollars within one hour of the banquet to help generate funds to continue the operation of our Federation Center in Columbia on Kilbourne Road.

Best Wishes and Congratulations are in order for our associate members who  will be married on Saturday, September 27th and they are; Laura Colclough and Lee James!!!

The Sumter County Fair will be held from Tuesday, October 7th thru Sunday, October 12th. The Sumter Chapter will man a booth inside the Sumter Civic Center in the exhibit hall for fundraising of the BUS FUND tickets and raise donations to maintain purchased transportation for the chapter and to support our centers as well. If you can donate and volunteer your time from 3:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. to man the booth, please contact yours truly, Debra Canty immediately at 803-775-5792 or via email at DebraCanC2 at frontier.com. I must receive your names soon for the schedule for the fair gate personnel for no cost admittance.

Please begin to collect old eyeglasses and old hearing aids and bring or send them to the Sumter County Fair Booth for us to donate to the Sumter Lions Club during blind awareness month.

Wednesday, OCTOBER 15TH IS WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY and OCTOBER is BLIND AWARENESS MONTH which we plan to observe during the entire month.

The 41st ANNUAL FUNDRAISER CHRISTMAS GALA is planned for Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. and the tickets are $25.00 per attendee which will display the groups name on the table and the program as well. So, please make your advanced ticket donations ASAP or NO LATER than September 30th for effective and efficient planning to avoid any obstacles that could hinder progress. The absolute deadline is September 30th.

Please call 206-376-5992 any hour of the day or night to listen to our recorded message board and leave your information, if you would like for me to call you with ticket information as well.

The 2015 membership is approaching and all 2015 state dues of $10.00 must be paid by the membership meeting on Tuesday, January 13, 2015.

Respectfully submitted by-----Debra Canty, President of the Sumter Chapter of the NFB