[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1480

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 13:34:21 UTC 2014

December 23, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1480

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              Let me begin this Positive Note by wishing you a Very Merry
Christmas.  The Federation Center will be closed on December 24, 25, and 26,
to give staff a much deserved Holiday.  The State Office will be open again
on December 29.  Repairs to the Conference room are nearly completed.  In
fact, the recent Advisory Board meeting occurred in the Conference room.  I
checked out the newly renovated facility when I was last in Columbia, and it
is looking great!

At the recent State Board meeting, I talked about efforts to update our
mailing list as well as managing the mailings going out of the State Office.
Over the past several weeks, we have been requesting that people
affirmatively opt-in to continue receiving the Positive Note in print if
they would like to do so.

If you don't mind receiving your Positive Note by email, on the other hand,
you can sign up for the listserv by visiting www.nfbsc.net, or simply send
us an email at nfbsc at sc.rr.com.  You can also elect to receive the Positive
Note in print in 2015 simply by letting us know you want it.

In short, there are three ways you can indicate your interest in receiving
the Positive Note.  Call us, email us, or sign-up for the listserv.  You
should do at least one of these things by the end of the year.  This will
help us update our mailing lists and streamline the delivery of the Positive
Note.

Here is an announcement from the President of the National Federation of the
Blind, Mr. Mark Riccobono.  "On Tuesday, December 16, the Senate passed H.R.
5771, the Tax Increases Prevention Act which includes the ABLE Act.  The
ABLE Act had previously passed in the House on December 3.

President Obama is expected to sign the bill into law before the end of the
year, and the ABLE Act will become effective.  The ABLE Act allows Americans
with disabilities to set up savings accounts to provide for expenses such as
housing, transportation, continuing education, and medical care, even while
receiving critical benefits such as SSI and Medicaid."

This may be the biggest change in Social Security law in recent years
because it will allow beneficiaries of SSI benefits to gather more resources
for various purposes without worrying about losing benefits.  The ABLE Act
is a positive development for blind Americans, many of whom are SSI
beneficiaries.

Let me also give you an update on our legislative efforts regarding fair
wages.  We are updating the Title of the fair wages bill; and as of this
coming Washington Seminar, it will be called "the TIME Act, which stands for
"Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment".  This is the goal
of our fair wages effort:  helping Americans become independent through
gainful employment.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of
the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              Merry Christmas to all of you across the state.  I hope this
is your best ever.  Join me as we travel down memory lane to yesteryear.
The year was 1961 and John Fitzgerald Kennedy had just been elected
President.  For the blind, however, the Federation Center of the Blind (then
known as the Aurora Center of the Blind) had just been dedicated on October
15, 1961.  In the beginning the Center's program was understandably limited.
I wrote to a number of churches for food that we would distribute to the
blind.  This early program was moderately successful.  Churches brought food
by the Center and we sorted through the food keeping in mind the needs of
different blind people.  About the same time we began to receive cash from
the church community.  Once again we analyzed the needs of various blind
people in the Columbia area.  More than one night was set aside for
delivering the food and cash contributions.  The program carried us into
some of the most impoverished communities in the area.  This had an effect
upon me seeing the blind living in such impoverished conditions.  In the
beginning of this program Craig was about six years old and Beth was about
three years old.  They both enjoyed seeing the happiness of these blind
persons receiving food and cash assistance.  Some businesses contributed to
the program.  I particularly remember the business National Cash Register
which supported the program.  There was strong support for the program for a
number of years but as the years continued the program steadily declined.  I
don't believe this program continued past the year 2000.  I would be remiss,
however, if I did not give credit where credit is due.  Some churches in the
Columbia area still remember the blind.  The Church of the Harvest pastored
by Rev. Ken Jumper had contributed generously, providing the Thanksgiving
dinner to the Columba Chapter and this program has existed for over ten
years.  Additionally, The Harvest Church contributes to the Federation
Center of the Blind, having given $1,000 in 2013 and $500 in 2014.  Our
excellent member, Isaiah Nelson, has also worked with his church, Haskell
Heights First Baptist Church, which recently provided the Christmas dinner
for the Columbia Chapter.  As you note, this program has existed for a
number of years.  One of the most generous supporters of the Federation
Center is the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.  Annually the church gives
$1,000 to the Federation Center.  Based on my many years of experience I
believe the church can be a meaningful resource for chapters across the
state.  Several different churches have rented the Center over the years.
Shortly after the Center was dedicated income was much needed.  We
appreciate our relationship with a number of churches and I feel certain
that chapters across the state have also worked with their churches.  In
conclusion, I hope this is the most meaningful Christmas for each of you.
Christmas is my favorite time of the year.

Final Thought:  "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and
the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called
Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of
Peace." - Isaiah 9:6