[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

NFBSC Office nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 17:23:39 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

June 6, 2014

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

NFB OF SC 2014 STATE CONVENTION SET

          The 2014 NFB of SC Convention will occur at the Columbia Marriott during the weekend of August 8 through 10.  The rate will be $89 per night for rooms accommodating one through four persons.  The Columbia Marriott is quite excited about hosting us for the 2014 Convention, and we have every reason to look forward to a splendid Convention in Columbia this August.  We anticipate a great Columbia Chapter turnout.  Call 771-7000 to make your reservation!  Please contact the Center if you have not received your state convention and pre-registration letter.

ROCKY BOTTOM 2014 FUN DAY TICKETS

          If you need to turn in filled out ticket stubs and money or if you need more to sell, see David Houck.  Every person should be willing to invest $5 in a Fun Day ticket with the chance of winning $500 if you are the buyer or $50 if you are the seller of the winning ticket.  If you both purchase and sell the winning ticket you will receive $550.  The chapter selling the most Fun Day tickets will receive $300.  Hey, we need to get busy selling our Fun Day tickets as the Sumter Chapter is 30 tickets ahead of the Columbia Chapter!  Saturday, August 30 will feature the auction sale, T-shirt sales, Fun Day ticket drawing and a Pig Picking and possibly a BINGO.  Sunday, August 31 will feature a gospel sing.  Monday will feature the Old Country Store, a yard sale and hamburgers and hot dogs and will wrap up at about 1:00 p.m.  Three nights and seven meals are only $30 per person!

CONVENTION ASSISTANCE

          National convention assistance for those who qualify and ask is $300 per household.  State convention assistance for those who qualify and request it will be having your $65 convention pre-registration paid.  Here is where your hard work pays off as well as funding the chapter's expenses for the upcoming year.

UPCOMING ACTIVITIES

          A pot luck dinner is scheduled for Saturday, September 6 at 4:00 p.m.  The cost of this chapter fundraiser is $10 per person and it will be all you can eat until it's gone!  If you plan to come, contact Jennifer Bazer at 661-6622 or by email at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com.  Please do not call her after 9:00 p.m.  We need to coordinate what you are bringing as we need salads, vegetables, meats and deserts.  Tea and soft drinks will be provided.  Bring Braille UNO cards, etc. and we'll have a great time.

          In October we are planning a fish fry with more details to come.  Nothing fishy about that!

2015 BBQ COMMITTEE MEETING

          At the July 10 chapter meeting we will set up a 2015 Barbecue Committee meeting.  It's never too early to get ahead of next year's planning so that things run smoothly and we can maximize sales and profits.

JUNE 5 COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

          We had a large gathering at last night's meeting.  Ike Nelson prepared a great dinner and Shelley Coppel gave a rousing devotional service on Father's Day.  David Bundy was proclaimed the Father of the Year.  We had several visitors at the meeting and Dr. Capps introduced our guest speaker Jennifer Bazer who spoke concerning testifying at the House and Senate Committees regarding the Blind Persons Right to Parent Act (S.687) which was signed by the Governor on June 2.  This is the 44th piece of legislation sponsored by the NFB of SC which has become law since 1958.

          The barbecue report for this year is as follows:  Total tickets sold 2,330.  Total ticket sales $19,805.  Total donations $1,306.75.  Total gross proceeds, $21,111.75.  Net revenue after expenses related to the barbecue $10,597.38.

Top 10 ticket sellers:

1.  Donald Capps - 566

2. Dale & Pat Wolthoff - 173

3. Leon Hines, Sr. - 138

4. Maggie Floyd - 132

5. Katherine Zeigler - 118

6.  Harriett Davis - 91

7. Ed & Julie Bible - 87

8. Frank & Shelley Coppel - 87

9. Jim Jackson - 70

10. Justin Williams - 65

Total ticket sellers, 37.

          David Houck gave the Center report.  The fishing trips at Rocky Bottom, Lake Greenwood and Santee received much publicity, even in the Columbia Metropolitan magazine.  The chapter voted to give $100 to Rocky Bottom Children's Camp.  Isaiah Nelson announced the School for the Blind's homecoming will be the weekend of October 17.  Ike drew for the 50-50 raffle and Harriett Tucker won $64 and Wanda Sheck won an electric skillet.

Steve Sheck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC