[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1453

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Jun 20 14:00:53 UTC 2014

June 18, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1453

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

This is our message.  Please learn it and spread it everywhere.  This year's
State Convention will include a special program item dedicated to our new
one-minute message.  Speaking of the State Convention, the Columbia Marriott
is now accepting hotel reservations.  Please make your reservations by
calling 803-771-7000.

Congratulations to our Chesterfield County Chapter for getting its
preregistrations in already.  We have had some other reservations as well
(such as some of our Greenville Chapter), but not enough from chapters and
individuals across the state.  Preregistration this year is $65 for meals
throughout the weekend and admission to all convention activities.

On Friday, June 13, I had the pleasure of being in Columbia for the meeting
of the Federation Center Board of Trustees, which of course is now a
statewide body.  We are also developing a statewide Advisory Board, and I am
pleased to say that we have a strong foundation for this new initiative;
however, our work is continuing.  If you have community leaders in mind, who
might be good candidates for the Advisory Board, please call Frank Coppel at
803-796-8662.

The Center Board has approved plans for the reconstruction of the Conference
room, which was damaged in an automobile accident last fall.  Please keep
the Center in your thoughts and prayers this summer as work proceeds.  The
builder believes that work will be complete in September.

Our Greenville and Sumter chapters have already pledged support for the
upcoming Banquet fundraiser, which has become a highlight of the NFB of SC
Convention.  As August approaches, please give some thought, as individuals
and chapters, as to what level of support you can manage and be ready to
come through at the Banquet.

Even our smallest chapters should be able to pledge some support.  For that
matter, everyone can give something in support of the NFB of SC.  After all,
the NFB of SC (now with forty-four legislative accomplishments) has done
more to improve the economic, social, and spiritual well-being of blind
South Carolinians than any other organization, and it is up to us to support
it.

On Saturday, June 28, 2014, the Computer Science & Technology Division will
have a class on a variety of apps from 10:00 to 4:00 at the Federation
Center of the Blind.  Contact Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com or (803)
254-0222 for more information or to register for the class.  The price is
$10 if you preregister or $15 the day of the event.

I conclude my portion of the Positive Note with an announcement from Shelley
Coppel, President of our Blind Senior Division.  Here is what she says.
"The Senior Division is going to have a table in the exhibit hall during the
State Convention.  We are going to sell raffle tickets for a first prize of
a Nu Wave Pro Convection Oven including baking dishes, and for a second
prize a mini Keurig coffee maker.  We will be selling the tickets for $2 per
ticket or 3 tickets for $5.  The drawing for this raffle will be at the
Statewide Seminar in January of 2015.  Thank you all for supporting our
growing and enthusiastic Senior Division!"  Joining me for comments in this

              "PR" (public relations) is a term that's used extensively in
our society.  Everyone wants good PR.  Businesses spend hundreds if not
thousands of dollars for good PR.  Colonial Life paid hundreds of thousands
of dollars to USC in having the privilege of naming the arena the Colonial
Life arena.  Someone has said that PR is what others think of us
individually, collectively, and in our business deals.  Presently the
Federation Center and RBRCCB are working with the news media in providing
excellent PR.  Many years ago the late John Fling was instrumental in having
the Columbia Metropolitan magazine provide coverage in their magazine for
the Federation Center.  David Houck tells me that currently the Federation
Center and Rocky Bottom are once again working with the Columbia
Metropolitan magazine on coverage of the programs of the Center including
the fishing expeditions and the unique programs of RBRCCB.  This coverage
will be of valuable assistance to these programs.  Recently the Greenville
News paper contacted David Houck and Elsie Duncan in doing an article with
pictures regarding Rocky Bottom.  This coverage will primarily focus upon
the Labor Day Fun Day Festival as the Greenville News will focus their
coverage on RBRCCB.  The Greenville News is very prominent in the Upstate
and the aforementioned coverage will be helpful to this program.  Our thanks
to David and Elsie for their handling of this excellent service.

              When the Federation Center of the Blind was dedicated in
October 1961, it was necessary to have a constitution and bylaws to govern
the operation of the Center.  Throughout the years there have been
amendments to cover needed changes.  For over 50 years the bylaws served the
Center well.  In the early days of the Center, it was regarded as a local
agency but as the years had gone by the Center served many chapters across
the state and, therefore, the Center is no longer a local agency.  To
reflect this growth, a few months ago the Center voted to change these
bylaws, providing for statewide representation on the Center's Board of
Trustees.  This change would also provide chapters assuming greater
responsibility in supporting the Center.  Last Friday, June 13, there was a
center luncheon to cover the Trustee meeting and to welcome two new Advisory
Board members.  The expanded board includes Debra Canty, the fine President
of our Sumter Chapter and JW Smith, the fine President of our Greenville
Chapter.  Debra and JW expressed the feeling that their respective chapters
will be able to provide needed financial support for the Center and they
have our sincere gratitude.  A few weeks ago the Columbia and Chesterfield
County Chapters made contributions to the Center.

              By the way, our Sumter Chapter is making great progress in the
sale of $5 Fun Day tickets as it now has sales totaling $300.  We are also
grateful to our Greenville Chapter which has sold $105 in Fun Day ticket
sales.                Correction, in discussion with our food service
chairman Lenora Robertson it was determined that it would not be feasible or
wise during hot weather to have a pig picking  outdoors during the Labor Day
Fun Day Festival as reported earlier.  Lenora however will provide for a
barbecue which we will enjoy in the Conference Center Dining Hall.  We are
fortunate in having excellent facilities for such occasions.  Our contractor
Chris Merck continues on schedule in making repairs to our facilities.

Final Thought:  "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the
stars." - Casey Kasem (1932-2014)