[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1489

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 20:07:15 UTC 2015

February 25, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1489

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              It is time to make reservations for the Seventy-fifth
Anniversary Convention of the National Federation of the Blind occurring
this year from July 5 through July 10 in Orlando, Florida.  To do this, you
should write directly to the Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840 International Drive,
Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call the hotel at (800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

              The hotel is accepting reservations now.  The hotel will want
a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit card number or a
personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check.
If a reservation is cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the deposit will
be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

Beginning on March 1, 2015, you will be able to pre-register for the
National Convention.  Pre-registration will be open through May 31, 2015.  I
hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to miss the long lines at
the Convention because there are so many things to do other than stand in
those time-consuming registration lines.

I have an announcement from the lovely and talented Shelley Coppel,
President of our Blind Senior Division.  Here is what she says.  “The
National Federation of the Blind Senior Division proudly sponsors the
following conference calls on specific topics and moderated by active
members of the NFB.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015, Cane Travel-Can I truly be an efficient cane
user as a senior if I've never learned before?  Moderators:  Jeff Altman,
NE; Maurice Peret, BISM, MD; Wednesday, march 4, 2015, Braille Can I learn
Braille as a senior?  Moderator:  Shelley Coppel, SC Secretary of the NFB
Senior Division; Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Organizing Paperwork-keeping
track of banking, labeling, sorting and filing necessary documents;
moderator:  Ruth Sager, MD, president, NFB Senior Division; Wednesday, May
13, 2015, Hobbies-Pursuing favorite hobbies and crafts; moderator:
Marguerite Woods, MD; Wednesday, June 10, 2015, Getting About--Leisure
Time--dining out, movies, museums, enjoying favorite pastime activities;
moderator:  Shelley Coppel, SC.

Time of Calls: All calls will be held at 4:00.  The conference call numbers
are as follows for all calls: 712-432-1500; Access code:  759633pound. Also
note:  You do not have to be a senior to be involved with these calls.  Feel
free to call Shelley Coppel for more information at 803-796-8662.”

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              It’s a winter wonderland here in Rocky Bottom this Tuesday
morning.  We woke up to four inches of snow on the ground and it’s still
snowing.  It is thirty degrees and we don’t anticipate the snow melting
rapidly.  It is always pretty here in Rocky Bottom but four inches of snow
makes it even more beautiful.  We arrived in Rocky Bottom Thursday afternoon
(February 18)  and there was a very hard freeze with the temperature
hovering just above zero which played havoc with just about everybody’s
pipes freezing over and breaking.  RBRCCB sustained some major damage,
especially with one large pipe having to be replaced in the well.  We were
without water for four days and nights (from Thursday through Sunday).  Our
neighbors were very good about furnishing us with water utilizing our large
pots which came in handy.  Our neighbor told me that she had lived in Rocky
Bottom for 25 years and she had never seen anything like the brutal weather
which affected most everyone as ACE Hardware in Pickens sold a record
breaking amount of pipes.  We are attempting to get an estimated price for
winterizing all our facilities and hopefully avoid the problems caused by
unusually cold weather.

              I have been spending time with our new Resident Manager,
Brooke West.  I’m impressed with this young lady.  Included in our meetings
was a review with Brooke of the rules and regulations which cover Rocky
Bottom’s job description, use by the blind and immediate family members
(spouses, children, grandchildren and driver), and use by the general
public.  We have also spent time with Brooke going over the calendar showing
the reservations.  We need to produce more revenue for RBRCCB and rentals to
large groups are the major revenue producers.  Already we have confirmed
reservations with two groups and I’m emphasizing to Brooke the importance of
making telephone calls to create more rental income.  We’re also spending
time updating our reservations as follow-up and good service is a key in
this area.  From a review of the files it was clear that some groups which
had used our facilities in the past have not done so in the last two or
three years and some longer.  One was a large church group in Spartanburg
and our current contact with the church resulted in a large rental this
season.  We also gave Brooke a tour of the different facilities.  We cited
her with the names of friends who can assist in a variety of situations
where a need might develop.  Incidentally, her fiancé Jamie Rivers has
advised us that he will be able to do some maintenance work as a volunteer
which will be helpful.

              The Columbia Chapter had a very good meeting on Thursday
evening February 12.  This is Black History Month.  I believe our diversity
makes for a stronger organization.  It was my good fortune to be able to
have Mr. James T. McLawhorn, Jr., President and CEO of the Columbia Urban
League to speak at our meeting.  He was excellent.  Mr. McLawhorn told our
Columbia Chapter President Tiffany Mitchell that he was going to assist us
in improving our financial situation.  Everyone enjoyed his presentation.

              Finally, while we missed having water for four days, we are
grateful for the electricity which provided good heat which has been needed
up here in RBRCCB.

Final Thought:  “The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was
important to them: there ought to be as many for love.” - Margaret Atwood