[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1490

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 13:28:15 UTC 2015

March 4, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1490

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for what
will no doubt be the best State Convention in NFB of SC history during the
weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event will be made by
individual attendees directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465
or (803) 771-7000.  You can also use this link to make your reservations
online.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCor
p.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095
%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15
<http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCo
rp.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%609
5%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes>
&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

              The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests
are $95 per night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will
ask for a credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good
on August 20 for those who want to arrive early, but there are not as many
rooms available on Thursday evening so hurry if you want to come in on
Thursday.

You should make your reservations now but no later than July 31.  In fact,
while we have a deadline of July 31, there is no guarantee that hotel rooms
will last until then.  Thus, it would be prudent to get this detail taken
care of early.  This is also a great time to hold chapter fundraisers to
provide financial assistance for members who want to attend the State
Convention.

The State Board will set the State Convention registration rates at its
spring meeting on Saturday, April 11, 2015.  You should plan to attend the
Board meeting and express your opinion.  Of course, if we set the price too
low, people tend to be less satisfied with the food.  State Convention
pre-registration will be open on Monday, June 1, 2015.

I have an announcement from the Chairperson of our National Scholarship
Program, Patti Chang.  Here is what she says.  "Are you a legally blind
college student living in the United States or Puerto Rico?  This annual
program offers 30 scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000 to eligible
students, from high school seniors beginning their freshman year in the fall
semester of 2015, up through grad students working on their PhD degrees.

These merit scholarships are based on academic excellence, community
service, and leadership.  In addition to the money, each winner will receive
assistance to attend the July 2015 NFB annual convention in Orlando, Florida
from July 5th through July 10th, providing an excellent opportunity for
high-level networking with active blind persons in many different
professions and occupations.

To apply, read the rules and the Submission Checklist, complete the official
2015 Scholarship Application Form (online or in print), supply all required
documents, and request and complete one interview by an NFB affiliate
president (unless the president requests a later date). Applications are
accepted through March 31, 2015.  Go to www.nfb.org/scholarships for
complete rules and requirements."  Please help us spread the word.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              As you know, Lawton Memorial Hall is named in honor of our
distinguished founder, Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton.  This historic facility is
an important part of the RBRCCB complex.  It is a unique building having
been constructed nearly 100 years ago.  I have been intrigued since I first
saw this historic building in 1958 when we first visited the area.  Lawton
Hall was built on a slope as builders wanted the back of the building to be
higher than the front of the building where there is a stage and two side
rooms.  This would enable people seated in the back of the building to see
the front of the structure which we think of as a theatre style arrangement.
When we first saw the building there were no windows as chicken wire was
used instead.  There was a tin top roof with numerous holes and leaks.  The
building was to say the least in a bad state of repair.  In the early 1980's
or about 35 years ago, several members of the National Guard came to Rocky
Bottom to make minimal repairs.  In the late 1980's we were able to obtain a
$75,000 grant which enabled extensive repairs to be made.  However, during
the past 25 years, very little has been done in the way of making repairs
and this is badly needed mow.  A few months ago I had a prominent contractor
from Lexington to travel to RBRCCB to inspect Lawton Hall to determine what
repairs are needed.  A thorough inspection was made and we were given a
price of $6,885.00 which would put Lawton into good repair.  While we are
working with a prominent foundation which might lead to a grant, since
Lawton Hall belongs to all of us, I feel that we need to pitch in and raise
the funds needed to make these repairs without further delay.  I know of no
other state organization of the blind which owns and operates five buildings
at RBRCCB, a swimming pool, a pond and is located on 30 acres of land.  The
blind across the state enjoy these facilities with very little expense.  I
was informed by David Houck that he has given a $100 contribution to the
Lawton Hall Fund as well as Carolyn Lawton and myself who have also
contributed $100, and thus a special fund with $300 at least gets the
project underway.   This can be done with minimal sacrifice.  Just as we
support the NFB and the NFB of SC and our chapters, I'm requesting that all
of the chapters and other individuals make a $100 contribution.  Most
chapters can contribute $100 without sacrifice and of course there are
individual members who are able to join David and myself in giving $100.
Checks should be made payable to "RBRCCB Lawton Hall Fund" and forwarded to
119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205.  I remember just a few years ago
at Children's Camp talent shows were held in Lawton Hall.  An all blind cast
formed the glass Menagerie play in Lawton Hall in the early 1980's.  There
were other events held in Lawton Hall including church services.  We have
recently been in touch with all of the churches in Pickens County and we
want to build upon these contacts by promoting the use of Lawton Hall by
these churches.  This will generate more funding.  Let's all do our fair
share in returning this special facility into good shape.  Thank you so much
for your favorable response.  Our Chesterfield County Chapter is a model,
having recently made contributions of $100 the Federation Center, $100 to
the NFB Scholarship Fund, $100 to the Children's Camp fund and $50 for the
2015 Labor Day Fun Day event.  We feel surely that the Chesterfield County
Chapter as well as other chapters will respond to the Lawton Hall Fund.

Final Thought:  "March is the month of John Phillip Sousa as today we must
"march forth."."