[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1499

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 6 13:08:38 UTC 2015

May 6, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1499

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I begin this Positive Note with two brief but huge
announcements related to the National Convention from President Mark
Riccobono.  "Guinness World Record"  Join us for an exciting 75th
anniversary experience! Be a part of history as the National Federation of
the Blind breaks a world record for the largest umbrella mosaic. To
participate, you'll need only to open an umbrella on cue and hold it aloft.
Our umbrellas, when viewed from above, will form a recognizable mosaic
image. Get in on the excitement by going to https://nfb.org/gwr. We will be
sending details as they develop to those that have signed up, as well as
posting them on our website.

LEGOLand:

LEGOLAND Florida is offering a special discount on park tickets for NFB
members. Purchase one adult ticket, and you can get one general admission
ticket free! This offer is good for adult, senior, or child general
admission tickets for one-day park admission, two-day park admission,
one-day waterpark combo, or two-day waterpark combo tickets. The code needed
to receive this discount will be given out at the national convention in the
suites and at the information desk."

I also have an announcement from the President of the NFB of SC Blind
Seniors Division, Shelley Coppel.  Here is what she says.  To all seniors
and anyone who is interested!  On May 13, at 4:00 p.m. EDT, there will be
another educational conference sponsored by the National Senior Division.
This month's topic is "Hobbies and Recreation."  The conference call phone
number is: 712-432-1500; the access number is: 759633 pound."

As you know, the State Convention is also coming-up fast.  The Columbia
Marriott is now accepting reservations for the 2015 State Convention during
the weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event should be
made directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803)
771-7000.

I should also add that pre-reservation is now open for the NFB of SC State
Convention.  The very affordable price of $70 per person will give you
admission to all events and cover your meals from Friday evening dinner
through Sunday morning breakfast.  Please make checks out to the NFB of SC
and send them to the State Office noting which members are covered.

I have one additional announcement from Scholarship Chairperson, Shannon
Cook.  Here is what she says.  "It is that time of year again: Scholarship
Time!  If you or someone you know will be attending college or graduate
school in the fall of 2015 and is blind, please encourage them to apply for
a 2015 NFB of SC Scholarship.  The web address is nfbofsc.org.  They can
click on the Scholarship link and complete the application.  Scholarships
will be awarded at the state convention the weekend of august 21-23.

We also want to remind our chapters and divisions that we are taking
donations, in any amount, for the Metro Fund, which allows the Scholarship
Committee to supplement worthy recipients with a little extra funding."

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I am pleased to dedicate this part of the Positive Note to
longtime associate member Barry Chavis of Columbia.  While the NFB of SC and
its chapters across the state have many outstanding volunteers there aren't
many who can measure up to Barry who has been a volunteer for over 50 years
which began in his teens.  Barry and the late Reba and MacDonald Hancock
were neighbors and they influenced Barry.  In the early 1960's when Barry
was a junior in high school, he recalls traveling to Rocky Bottom with the
Columbia Chapter.  From those early days Barry has loved Rocky Bottom
developed by the NFB of SC beginning in 1979.  He now serves on the Advisory
Board of RBRCCB.  Barry has been extremely helpful in alleviating the
transportation difficulties experienced by blind people by driving the van
and bus of the Columbia Chapter, picking up members for meetings, trips to
state conventions and on the three canvas nights for the barbecue program.
During his 50 years of service Barry has attended numerous state
conventions.  Barry was particularly proud of taking part in the national
convention held in Columbia in 1969 by presenting a bust of our NFB founder,
Dr. Jacobus tenBroek which Barry sculpted.  Barry is very gifted as he's
able to create masterful objects with his magic touch.  When the 1970
expansion of the Federation Center was taking place Barry made the board
room table from scratch which accommodated meetings continuously from 1970
to November 2013 when an inebriated driver slammed his vehicle into the
board room area causing substantial damage.  The beautiful boar room table
at RBRCCB was also constructed by Barry who devoted many hours to the
project.  For nearly 25 years this board room table has accommodated
numerous RBRCCB meetings.  When asked about his favorite participation in
the NFB of SC and RBRCCB Barry replied that what he enjoyed most was his
association with those of us who are blind.  He enjoys accommodating many
federationists including state leaders who from time to time need a special
service.  Like others Betty and I have been recipients of special service by
Barry.  For many years Betty enjoyed working with Barry during the Christmas
season carefully decorating the Christmas tree.  After the decorations were
completed a Christmas tradition had developed as Betty served hot dogs,
French fries and fruitcake which we enjoyed.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my
association with Barry beginning when he was only 12 or 13 years old and he
has enriched the lives of Betty and myself.  Thank you Barry.

              I am pleased to report that my home chapter, Columbia has
given $100 toward the needed repairs of Lawton Hall at RBRCCB.    The amount
donated thus far comes to $1,955 which reduces the total amount needed to
$4,930.  Let's keep the contributions coming as we need to complete the
needed repairs to this historic building as soon as possible.  To all of you
mothers across the state, happy Mother's Day this Sunday.  My thanks to
those of you who have sent birthday cards and other expressions in
celebration of Betty's 84th birthday on Tuesday, May 5.

Final Thought:  "Today marks the 49th anniversary of the creation of the SC
Commission for the Blind by the hard work of the NFB of SC."