[Nfbofsc] FW: [Trainer-Talk] Fw: Janet LaBreck commissioner of RSA to appear on Branco Broadcast Monday, May 9 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Steve Cook STCook at sccb.sc.gov
Mon May 9 13:03:44 UTC 2016

Steve Cook, CPM
Assistive Technology Consultant
SC Commission for the Blind
1430 Confederate Avenue
Columbia, SC 29201
E-Mail: stcook at sccb.sc.gov
Phone: (803) 898-8788
Fax: (803) 898-8882

-----Original Message-----
From: Trainer-Talk [mailto:trainer-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Reginald George via Trainer-Talk
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 7:16 PM
To: real-eyes at freelists.org; Adaptive technology information and support. <ati at moblind.org>; Wcb-l at wcbinfo.org; nutkc at yahoogroups.com; List for teachers and trainers of adaptive technology <trainer-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Reginald George <adapt at kc.rr.com>
Subject: [Trainer-Talk] Fw: Janet LaBreck commissioner of RSA to appear on Branco Broadcast Monday, May 9 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time

I apologize for the cross post, but I  do feel its important to get this information disseminated as widely and quickly as possible so others may participate in this unique opportunity if they wish.  If you feel you must comment please do not choose reply to all.

Reg

On Monday, May 9 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, our featured guest on Branco Broadcast will be Janet LaBreck, Commissioner of Rehabilitation Services with the United States Department of Education. To participate, please call 712-832-8294, and pass code 514295. Please be sure to mute your phones at all times unless you are asking Janet a question. When you finish with your question, please mute your phone again. We want to avoid all back ground noise. Also, please arrive on the call 10 minutes before Janet arrives, so you won’t miss anything. The following is a brief bio about our guest.

Although Commissioner Janet LaBreck lost her vision by the age of ten, she has never let her disability get in the way of her dreams.  In 2007, after more than 20 years as an advocate for the blind community, LaBreck was appointed Commissioner of the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind by Governor Deval Patrick.  As an ambassador for more than 30,000 legally blind residents, LaBreck has organized campaigns that have effectively increased employment opportunities for the blind.  There is no better testament to her profound influence than the Commission’s award-winning internship program.

In 2013, President Barack Obama announced some key administration posts, including his intent to nominate Janet L. LaBreck as Commissioner of Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) within the United States Department of Education. In August of 2013, the United States Senate confirmed Commissioner LaBreck as the Commissioner of RSA.

Commissioner LaBreck has an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the New England College of Optometry, a Masters of Education degree from Springfield College and Bachelor of Arts in Human Services from the University of Massachusetts, Boston.

Janet will give a brief presentation, and then take questions from our participants. Please spread the word to all of your lists, no matter where they are. This is your opportunity to address your concerns about rehabilitation services for persons with disabilities in this country. We look forward to hearing from all of you on Monday.

   Bob Branco