[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1574

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 12 19:03:26 UTC 2016

October 12, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            The 60th annual State Convention of the NFB of SC which will be
held at the Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle Beach October 28-30 is
shaping up to be one of the best ever!  We are in the process of finalizing
the program for the weekend, as well as finalizing many other details which
will insure us to have a successful convention.  Along with the usual
division and committee meetings which are held on Friday, we are also
holding a BELL X work shop and a drop-in for Chapter Presidents.  Both of
these activities will begin at 2:00 and conclude at 3:30 p.m.  Remember, we
are planning a "Beach Party" theme for our Friday evening reception.  I am
very excited to announce we have secured a band for this event, so bring
your dancing shoes and let's "shag on the beach"!  Saturday promises to be a
very busy day filled with a variety of informative and interesting program
items.  The theme for the convention this year is "Raising Expectations".
To promote this theme, the NFB of SC will be selling t-shirts which will
have the NFB logo imposed on a beach scene on the front of the shirt and
with the phrase "Raising Expectations" written in both Braille and print on
the back.  The t-shirts were designed by our own Jamie Allison and I am told
they look very sharp.  The t-shirts will sell for $13 or $15 depending on
the size of the shirt.  Also, we will be conducting our annual banquet
fundraiser Saturday evening, October29, to help fund the Federation Center
and the NFB of SC.  We need individuals as well as chapters to step up and
contribute during the banquet to both of these extremely important programs.
As you can see, the 2016 NFB of SC State Convention is a convention you do
not want to miss.  It is not too late to make hotel reservations for the
state convention.  However, I strongly suggest you do so immediately by
calling the Sands resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform
the reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of
the Blind of South Carolina state convention.  All reservations must be
guaranteed by check or credit card and received within 5 days of reservation
date. Advance deposits will be credited to the last night's stay as
indicated by individual reservation request.  Room rates for this year's
convention are very affordable.  I am being told by the hotel that there are
plenty of ocean view rooms for $87 per night including tax, however, ocean
front rooms for $99 per night including tax are becoming limited.

            There is only approximately one week remaining (October 14) to
accept your $70 preregistration fee for the State Convention.  The $70
preregistration for the convention will cover the Friday evening reception,
the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as a
continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  After October 14, the
registration will increase to $85.

            Governor Haley has proclaimed October 15, 2016, as White Cane
Safety Day.  Below, is her proclamation.  State of South Carolina -
Governor's Proclamation

            WHEREAS, the white cane is a simple yet effective tool of
independence that contributes to the self-sufficiency of the blind and
visually impaired by allowing them to navigate through their environment
safely, avoiding physical barriers and hazards; and

            WHEREAS, the white cane is a symbol of dignity and determination
as well as a tangible reminder that individuals with impaired eyesight are
able to go, to move, to be, and to compete with all others in society and to
lead full, independent, and productive lives; and

            WHEREAS, established by the National Federation of the Blind,
the annual observance of "White Cane Safety Day" emphasizes the need for all
Americans to be aware of the presence of disabled persons in our communities
and to work together to keep the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways,
public buildings and facilities, and places of public accommodation,
amusement, and resort safe and functional for the disabled; and

            WHEREAS, the 2016 observance of "White Cane Safety Day" provides
an opportunity for people across the Palmetto State and the nation to renew
their dedication to eliminating barriers for the blind and visually
impaired.

            NOW, THEREFORE, I, Nikki R. Haley, Governor of the great State
of South Carolina, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2016, as WHITE CANE SAFETY
DAY throughout the state and encourage all South Carolinians to show respect
for those who carry the white cane, to honor their many achievements, and to
reaffirm our commitment to improving access to basic services for blind and
visually impaired persons.   NIKKI R. HALEY, GOVERNOR, STATE OF SOUTH
CAROLINA

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            All of you across the state, especially those in the path of
Hurricane Matthew, have been in our thoughts and prayers.  I believe that
some of you sustained some loss.  As you know, I grew up in Mullins which is
only seven miles from Nichols where the great flood is causing tremendous
hardship.  My sister Loretta lives in Mullins and continues to be without
power.  I had a tree in the backyard to be partially uprooted by the
hurricane and this is complicated by electrical wires leaning against the
tree.  I've contacted SCE&G which has hundreds of trees and wires to be
handled.

            In listening to the sound of the rain and wind last Friday
night, I was reminded of Hurricane Hugo which occurred in 1989 and was also
a very serious hurricane.  During that hurricane Betty and I were at the SC
School for the Deaf and Blind where we were attending a weekend board
retreat of the Board of Commissioners.  We were assigned an upstairs bedroom
in Walker Hall which has twin beds which we did not like as we were not used
to twin beds.  Well after midnight I thought I heard some noise.  I wasn't
afraid but I know that tradition has it that people have seen Mrs. Walker at
the head of the stairs who died several decades ago.  Soon I realized the
noise was coming from the direction of Betty's bed.  I got up and learned
that she was listening to the radio which was tucked under the covers of her
bed and when I asked her what she was doing, she replied that she was
listening to the radio to keep up with the damage being done by Hurricane
Hugo.  I told her to turn off the radio and go to sleep.

            As I attended NFB conventions from over 50 years, I didn't
realize how much I would miss the conventions when I was no longer able to
attend.  My last NFB convention was in 2011 in Orlando.  Five years have now
passed since I have been prevented from attending NFB conventions.  I
continue to miss these meaningful annual conventions.  I look forward to
receiving the August/September issue of the Braille Monitor as it contains
excellent convention information.  Last week I received this annual edition
of the Braille Monitor and wasted little time in reading a good portion of
the Monitor.  Gary Wunder who visited South Carolina some two years ago does
an excellent job in editing the Monitor.  I enjoyed his coverage of the
convention activities which were very interesting and informative.  NFB
President Mark Riccobono gave a wonderful Presidential Report.  He
enumerated the many accomplishments of the NFB during the past year.  As
federation members we have every right to appreciate the work done by the
NFB on behalf of the nation's blind.  I particularly enjoyed the
presentation of awards to deserving individuals including the tenBroek Award
which was bestowed upon our own Jerry Whittle.  Dr. Maurer presented the
award to Jerry and Marilyn and did an excellent job.  I enjoyed Jerry's
response which included some comments about our longtime association.  I'm
very pleased that our RBRCCB Resident Manager Brooke Rivers has received
relief from the kidney stones which were very painful to her.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #29:  1996 -
Proviso in General Appropriations Bill to provide $50,000 to the University
of South Carolina to retain the Chair for the Vision Teacher Program. & #32:
2000 - A proviso was passed through the General Assembly moving the Vision
Teacher Program from USC-Columbia to the USC-Spartanburg campus.