[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 13:14:36 UTC 2016

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

OCTOBER 13, 2016

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20 - SC STATE FAIR

            Be at the Federation Center by 3:30 p.m. and we will leave for
the Fair at 3:45 p.m.  Come and have a great time!  Contact Tiffiny Mitchell
at 603-2098   if you plan to go.

OCTOBER 22 STEP IT UP WALK

            The "STEP It Up Walk" listed below has been rescheduled for
10/22/16, please share with your contacts!  On October 8 the Columbia
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina will have
a "Step It Up" walk at the Drew Wellness Walkers Track on Harden St. (2101
Walker Solomon Way).  Registration begins at 8:15 and the walk begins at 9
a.m.  Cost to walk is $20.  The purpose of the walk is to bring awareness to
the blind and visually impaired in our community.  Come out and support our
local NFB chapter with a donation and make a new friend in our community!
We will also be handing out literature about the NFB.

OCTOBER 24 AT YESTERDAYS

            Celebrate Fred Vercher's birthday at Yesterday's Restaurant at
5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 24.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 27 STATE CONVENTION TRIP

            Those who signed up and paid for their transportation to the
State Convention in Myrtle Beach need to be at the Federation Center by
11:30 a.m. and be ready to leave by 12:00 noon.

OCTOBER 13 COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

            The meeting was gaveled to order by Tiffiny Mitchell at 6:15
p.m.    Ike Nelson made a delicious dinner.  We were glad to have David
Quarters visiting with us.  Please keep Billy Eubanks and Loretta in your
prayers as Billy has had stints placed in his kidneys due to blockage.  He
is in much pain.  Jennifer Bazer gave the devotional on the human tongue.
President Mitchell reported that the Taste of Columbia prize winners were
Third Place to Isaiah Nelson for Apple Bread, Second Place to Shannon Cook
for Apple Bread and First Place to Tiffiny Mitchell for her Chili.  It is
hoped more will participate in these future events.  We will have a
Christmas gift exchange for those wishing to participate.  Gifts will be
valued at $15.  Call Tiffiny Mitchell to turn in your name by November 7.
Call Dorothy Barksdale at 765-1622 if you have not already turned in your
birthday information.  Dorothy also brailled the 50-50 numbers for the
chapter meetings.

            The Nominating Committee Chairman, David Houck presented the
Nominating Committee report on the slate of 2017 officers and board members.
Elections were held and the following were elected:

President - Tiffiny Mitchell

First Vice President - Steve Cook

Second Vice President - Isaiah Nelson

Secretary - Dorothy Barksdale

Treasurer - Kattie Jackson

Board Position 1 - Pat Wolthoff

Board Position 2 - David Bundy

            It was a record breaking election in terms of how fast it went.
Our appreciation goes out to Jennifer Bazer for her hard work on the board
and our congratulations to Pat Wolthoff for her upcoming service in 2017.

            Susan Madden won the 50-50 drawing receiving $54 but she donated
her winnings back to the chapter treasury.  Tracy Spittle won $5 in a second
drawing.

            Have a safe and Happy Halloween!

Tiffiny Mitchell, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC