[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1620

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 29 14:18:28 UTC 2017

August 29, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This upcoming weekend many of us will be traveling to Rocky
Bottom to attend the 36th annual Fun Day Festival.  Over 50 Federationists
are planning to be at Rocky Bottom for the entire weekend with other
chapters planning to come Saturday, September 2, to participate in the
festivities.  One of my favorite activities during Fun Day is the auction
which will take place Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m.  Many thanks go to
Jennifer Bazer and Valerie Warrington who were very instrumental securing
items for the auction.  Items for the auction include a National
Championship football autographed by Clemson head football coach Dabbo
Sweeney, a USC basketball autographed by women's basketball head coach, Dawn
Staley, two black and silver footballs autographed by the Carolina Panthers,
tickets to Caro-winds and Dollywood, gift baskets, and bakery items just to
name a few.  We will be selling a variety of items at our country store,
yard sale items, and we will be selling RBRCCB merchandise.  If you would
like to donate craft or baked items to the country store, please contact
Jennifer Bazer at (803) 661-6622 or email her at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com.
Outside, we will have activities for children, as well as selling cotton
candy and snow cones.  Seven meals will be served throughout the weekend.
Times for meals are as follows; Saturday, September 2, breakfast 8:00, BBQ
lunch 12:00, and supper 6:00 p.m.  Sunday, September 3, breakfast 8:30,
lunch 1:00 and supper 6:00.  Monday, September 4, breakfast  at 8:00.  You
will need to see Valerie Warrington and pay $40 for adults and $20 for
children under twelve years of age to cover all seven meals including the
lunch  on Saturday.  Those individuals who are attending the Fun Day
Festival Saturday and who are only eating lunch will need to pay Valerie and
Larry Warrington $10 for adults and $5 for children.

              Reservations for room accommodations are filling up quickly
and, therefore, you will need to get your reservation in now.  As always we
are expecting a full house.  Reservations are taken on a first-come,
first-served basis.  If you need to make a reservation for the Fun Day
weekend, you can call the Federation Center (803) 254-3777 or call me (803)
796-8662 no later than Thursday, August 31.

              It is extremely important we all do what we can to sell as
many $5 Fun Day tickets as possible as this greatly contributes to the
overall profits of the festival.  Remember, the winning ticket drawn will
yield $50 to the seller and $500 to the buyer or $550 if you bought your own
ticket.  The chapter selling the most tickets will receive $300 for its
treasury!

              We need to do all we can to support Rocky Bottom.  We are
expecting a large turnout from the surrounding community and there also
needs to be a large Federation turnout for this very important fundraising
event.

              J.W. Smith, President of our Greenville chapter, would like to
thank everyone for their prayers and telephone calls last week during his
time of bereavement for the loss of his sister.

              Finally, congratulations to Ed Bible and Julie Bible who
became proud grandparents Monday, August 28, at 7:16 a.m. with the birth of
their second grandchild, Sally Ann Walker, who weighed 7 pounds and 13
ounces and was 20 inches long.  Also congratulations to Dale and Pat
Wolthoff, members of the Columbia Chapter, who celebrated their fortieth
anniversary on Sunday, August 27.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Not many of us can say that we have served the blind for more
than 40 years in the programs of federation chapters and otherwise.
Winnifred Spears is one of those individuals who has done so.  Winnifred
Spears is a longtime Associate Member of the Rock Hill Chapter who has been
quite active in a number of areas as a volunteer.  She was born in
Williamsburg County and began school there.  However, during World War II
her family moved to Charleston as her father worked in the shipyards.  After
the war, they moved between Williamsburg County and Johnsonville.  Winnifred
Spears graduated from Johnsonville High School where the school's mascot was
a lightning bolt known as "the flashers."  She then went to Columbia College
and completed two years of training in Business School.  She used her
educational training to work for many years doing clerical work with the
Rock Hill Police Department from which she retired in 2001.  As she put it,
Business School helped her achieve her Mrs. Degree as well.  Her husband,
Olan or "Pee Wee" Spears worked in a funeral home.  Together they have four
children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.  Mrs. Spears
first joined the federation when there was a state convention held in Rock
Hill in the 1970's and Boy Scouts were used as assistants during the
convention.  Soon after, they joined the Rock Hill Chapter.  At that time
Frances Messer was President and Pee Wee was Vice President.  Pee Wee also
served as chapter President for a time.  Winnifred volunteered over the
years as an associate Treasurer and Secretary.  She also does chapter
devotionals.  She has attended four national conventions and at least a half
dozen state conventions.  Her hobbies include church as she attends the
Christian Fellowship Church in Rock Hill, traveling and being a member of
the OWLS - Older, Wiser, Loving Seniors.  This group of seniors likes to
bowl, work with the Special Olympics, and has four parties annually.  As you
can see, Winnifred Spears has led a long and active lifestyle, dedicating
her life to serving the blind, other seniors, her church family and the
police department in whatever way she can.  Congratulations to Winnie and we
hope that you will have many more years of service to the blind.

              We extend congratulations to Dr. Fred Crawford, the first
Commissioner of the Commission for the Blind, who celebrates his 91st
birthday on Wednesday, August 30.  I also celebrate my 89th birthday on
Wednesday, August 30 and you will note that Dr. Crawford and I have the same
birthdays.

Final Thought:  How long has it been since YOU have been to Rocky Bottom?