[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1598

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 29 12:51:00 UTC 2017

March 29, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              On Wednesday, March 22, I traveled to Baltimore, Maryland to
meet with our NFB National President, Mark Riccabono, and Parnell Digs for
the purpose of discussing possibilities as to how the NFB as well as state
affiliates could utilize our facilities at Rocky Bottom.  It was apparent
President Riccabono believed Rocky Bottom is presently "one of the best kept
secrets in the NFB" and therefore, we discussed at great length the need to
put forth an effort to promote Rocky Bottom to state affiliates and their
members through social media and other means.  We also discussed the
possibility of the National organization, its divisions, and state
affiliates utilizing Rocky Bottom for the purpose of holding seminars and
programs designed to improve the quality of life of blind people.  Although
much work still needs to be done to implement these ideas, I feel my trip to
Baltimore was very successful and I look forward to further working with
President Riccabono and others to develop a plan that will enable us to
utilize Rocky Bottom on a national level.

              You can now begin to make your hotel reservations for the 2017
NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in
Greenville August 18-20.  Room rates are very affordable.  Rates for this
year's convention are $99 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition
to the room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12 percent.  The
deadline to make reservations will be July 27, 2017.  You can make your room
reservations by calling the Hyatt Regency reservation telephone number
402-592-6434 and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.  The
Hyatt Regency hotel has also made available a dedicated website to book your
hotel rooms online. Reservations can be made starting immediately at this
web address:   https://aws.passkey.com/go/natfedblind.

              If you have not done so already, please make your hotel
reservations to attend the upcoming 2017 Orlando National Convention.  The
dates for this year's national convention will be July 10, to July 15, 2017
and will be held at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort.  The 2017 room rates are
singles and doubles, $83; and triples and quads, $89. In addition to the
room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge
will be made for children under seventeen in the room with parents as long
as no extra bed is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking
facility.

              For 2017 convention room reservations you can call the hotel
at (866) 996-6338. You may also write directly to the Rosen Shingle Creek,
9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. The hotel will want a
deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit card number or a
personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check.
If a reservation is cancelled before Thursday, June 1, 2017, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

              It is time for you to preregister online for the 2017 NFB
National Convention in Orlando Florida.  If you preregister prior to May 31,
registration for convention will cost $25 and a banquet ticket will cost
$60.  After May 31, the cost for convention registration will increase to
$30 and the cost of a banquet ticket will increase to $65.  Save $10 and
also skip the need to stand in line for a long period of time at the
convention by purchasing your convention registration and banquet ticket by
the May 31 deadline.  If you would prefer a print copy of the
preregistration form, contact David Houck at the Federation Center,
(803)254-3777 and he will mail one to you.  Or you can preregister online
at,

http://lx-web.nfb.org/convention/preregistration.php.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Every annual barbecue sponsored by the Columbia Chapter is no
different than in previous years.  Many years ago when I was working with
Colonial Life I overheard prospective agents being told that they would be
successful if they made the necessary contacts - 10 per day I believe was
the word.  Throughout the years I have pretty much relied upon this system,
including keeping a list of barbecue sales that can be worked every year.
There has been an exciting development; however, that has never happened
before.  Last Friday a check came through the mail and we carefully opened
it, like all checks are opened, but I was wondering if I was hearing
correctly when my assistant, Debbie Manning, told me the check was for
$1,000.  It covered 60 ten dollar barbecue tickets ($600) and the remainder
of $400 was a gift.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I have known of this
company in Columbia for many years as it has donated materials for the
construction of the Federation Center.  You do not receive a check for
$1,000 without the organization being thoroughly approved of by the business
community.  The quality of our product has been good as well.  I don't know
if I'll ever receive another check for barbecue for $1,000 but I'm very
happy about this $1,000 gift which will be used by the Columbia Chapter to
assist the blind.  After working on this project for sixty-four years, I
have been able to sell several hundred barbecue tickets annually.

              This year South Carolinians have brought much happiness and
joy in the sports world.  I have been primarily a Gamecock over the years
but I will pull for the Tigers when the two teams are not playing each
other.  Even when I was a student at SCSDB, I listened to many sports radio
programs.  Earlier this year the Clemson University football team won the
national championship.  During the last couple of weeks I have marveled at
the tremendous success enjoyed by the USC men's basketball team as well as
the lady Gamecocks.  Both teams have worked real hard and unlike anything in
the past, both the lady Gamecocks and the men's Gamecocks basketball teams
will be going to the "Final Four" playoffs this weekend.  Having heard
different games and their tremendous achievements, I've been a fan who
believes it is possible for both teams to earn the national championship.
Perhaps it's only natural that I would be thankful to see federationists
working so hard as Clemson University and the Gamecocks in their Columbia
Chapter barbecue sales.

Final Thought:  Raising Expectations:  "If someone tells you it can't be
done, why not prove to them and to yourself that it actually can be
accomplished."