[Nfbofsc] Hurricane Harvey Project

Frank Coppel frankcoppel at att.net
Thu Sep 7 14:53:13 UTC 2017

Hello Everyone,

For the past week or so, many of you have inquired how we in the NFB of SC
can support our Federation family in Texas who have been impacted by
Hurricane Harvey.  My response to those inquiries has been we were asked to
waiting until the Texas affiliate President Norma Crosby, and the NFB
national office could assess the situation and develop a plan that would
most effectively support those individuals impacted by this devastating
storm.  Below, is an email written by President Riccobono and Norma Crosby
which describes the Hurricane Harvey Project.  Please read it and give me
your suggestions and recommendations no later than Thursday, September 14,
as to how we can best serve our Federation members in Texas.  Throughout the
years, the NFB of SC has always been supportive and generous when requested
to do so, and I feel certain we will handle this opportunity with equal
support and generosity.

Sincerely,

Frank coppel

President

Dear Federation Members:

During the past week, many members of the National Federation of the Blind
have reached out with offers of support for blind individuals impacted by
Hurricane Harvey. We have been asking that you hold those offers of support
until we could coordinate with our Texas affiliate, determine what needs
exist, and develop a plan that most effectively marshals resources to meet
the needs of blind people in impacted communities. We are now prepared to
mobilize the National Federation of the Blind’s Hurricane Harvey Relief
Project. Below are the things you need to know and ways that you can best
help.

*	The National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project
will be managed by Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of the
Blind of Texas. Norma will be assisted by our national staff as needed.
*	How you can help:

*	Donate to our Harvey Relief Fund which we commit to only using for
Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. We will accept:

*	Gift cards to major retailers, because they are easier to share than
supplies. We encourage gift cards from Target, Walmart, Academy Sports and
Outdoors, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
*	Transportation credits/gift cards for Uber and Lyft to provide
transportation assistance.
*	Financial contributions either online
<http://www.nfbtx.org/donate.php>  (be sure to write “Harvey Relief Fund” in
the note field) or write a check to the National Federation of the Blind of
Texas with “Harvey Relief Fund” in the memo line.

*	Adopt a family: If you would like us to match your affiliate/chapter
with a specific family that you can help, please reach out to Norma Crosby.
*	Help us find families that include blind individuals by sharing the
following information via email or on social media:

§  The National Federation of the Blind wants to help! If you, or a blind
person you know, has been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, please reach out to
the National Federation of the Blind for support from our Hurricane Harvey
Relief Project. Call (281) 968-7733, email ncrosby at nfbtx.org, or send us a
message on our Facebook page.

§  Here is a sample tweet you can cut and paste into Twitter:
If a blind person you know has been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, email the
NFB Hurricane Harvey Relief Project ncrosby at nfbtx.org or DM @NFB_Voice.

Send all donations to the NFB Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund to National
Federation of the Blind of Texas, 1600 E. Highway 6, Ste. 215, Alvin, TX
77511-2595.
We appreciate the tremendous concern and offers of support being offered by
members and friends of the National Federation of the Blind. We thank you
for being patient as we determine where the needs exist and work to match
resources with the people that need help. Together with love, hope, and
determination, we will rebuild and transform our dreams into reality.

Thank You,

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

Norma Crosby, President

National Federation of the Blind of Texas

---