[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1621

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 17:52:05 UTC 2017

September 7, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who
attended and volunteered their services at the Fun Day Festival held at
Rocky Bottom this past Labor Day weekend.  Although the turnout was good, we
need to work harder to attract more of the public to attend as well as
encourage more of our members to sell their Fun Day tickets and to attend
the Fun Day festivities.  The weather this weekend was spectacular and
everyone appeared to have a great time enjoying each other's company and
raising money for Rocky Bottom.  Although there are some issues we need to
definitely address for next year, I truly believe the 36th annual Fun Day
Festival was very successful.  Many thanks go to Lenora Robertson, Ellen
Taylor, Glenda Culick and the rest of the "Food Crew" for preparing
outstanding meals throughout the weekend.  I would like to especially thank
Valerie and Larry Warrington, and Libby Farr for their willingness to help
where ever needed.  I would also like to recognize Alma Lee Doyle, Elouise
Hunt, David and Darleen Houck, Linda Bible, Jennifer Bazer and her staff for
their assistance on Saturday as well as Jeff Baser who did a great job
handling the duties of auctioneer.  RBRCCB is an extremely important and
vital program of the NFB of SC and all of us as members need to work
diligently and creatively in the years to come to increase the amount of
monies raised during the Fun Day Festival.  As I have stated many times,
Rocky Bottom belongs to all of us.  We need to take ownership and be proud
we have such a unique facility in South Carolina.

              We have an announcement from Isaiah Nelson, President of the
Alumni of the SC School for the Blind.  "The meeting of the alumni of the SC
school for the blind will be held the weekend of October 20-21, 2017.  The
meeting will be held on Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 8:30 a.m. in the
cafeteria located in Robertson hall.  I am asking that all members be
present and on time.

              Those members from the Columbia area who will be riding up to
Spartanburg on Friday evening, the van will be departing at 3:00 p.m.  You
should arrive at the federation center located at 119 S. Kilbourne Rd.,
Columbia SC  29205 no later than 2:30 p.m.

              The total cost of the trip is forty ($40.00) dollars per
person which will include transportation as well as registration.  Each
person will be responsible for your overnight stay at the Quality Inn and
Suites ($110 per room per night's stay) and for all of your meals.  The
telephone number for the Quality Inn is:  864-542-0333.  Please make your
reservations no later than September 20, 2017.

              Those of you living in the Columbia area who will be attending
please give me a call to verify that you will be attending the meeting for
transportation purposes.  You may reach me at 803-413-2434.  Thanking you in
advance, I am.  Ike nelson, President.  PS:  Also, if you have any questions
in regards to the above listed information, feel free to contact me at the
above given number."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I very much appreciate President Coppel's changing the
issuance of the Positive Note by one day as the telephone was out on
Wednesday.  As I read Frank's Positive Note I realized just how fortunate we
are in having Rocky Bottom but also how much we were missing the 36th annual
Fun Day Festival.  From preliminary reports this looks like it was a very
successful Fun Day Festival.

              Throughout the years Betty was very much involved by both
Presidents Jernigan and Maurer as they utilized Betty's talents.  For many
years, both Presidents Jernigan and Maurer had Betty sit at the speaker's
table at the NFB convention Banquet as everyone knew Betty had an impeccable
reputation and would handle the drawing of door prizes with absolute
honesty.  At the 1977 Jacobus tenBroek Award presentation I was the
recipient of this highest award but in going to the podium I had Betty
accompany me as I wanted to demonstrate nationally just what Betty means to
me.  In the earliest days of the federation Betty operated a messy
mimeograph machine to get out mailings.  She also drove me nationally.

              To all of you attending the Fun Day Festival it was apparent
this was the first time in 36 years that we missed this event.  It was
apparent that something very serious kept us away.  Since this occurred I
felt it appropriate to bring our statewide membership up to date.  At a
routine examination in May of 2012 Betty's illness was diagnosed as
Alzheimer's disease.  It was hardly noticed but the condition, hardly
detectable but five years later this has changed.  Her ability to remember
is virtually gone.  However, in the Spring of 2013 I secured part-time
services of caregivers but this service in my opinion, was very inadequate
and the charges were exorbitant I felt.  Thus after a year we had a
full-time, live-in caregiver for four years who is a "Godsend."  Full-time
attention is essential as Betty would wander away.  We don't know what lies
in the future, as no one does, but I can assure you of one thing, both of us
love each other as we take it one day at a time.