[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1622

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 13 12:45:26 UTC 2017

September 13, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Before we turn our attention to other Federation activities
which will be occurring this fall, I would like to share with you the
breakdown of the total revenues and net proceeds for the Fun Day Festival
which was held at Rocky Bottom Labor Day weekend.  We will list the
activity, the Fun Day 2017 amount and the Fun Day 2016 amount with the
amount of change:  Bingo 68.00, 93.00, +25.00; UNO Tournament 50.00, 50.00,
0; RB Hat & T-shirts                 128.00, 188.00, -60.00; Country Store
111.00, 37.00, +74.00; Yard Sale 176.25, 159.00, +17.25; Cotton Candy/Snow
Cones/Popcorn 66.00, 0, +66.00. Week-end Food Sales 1,210.00, 1,120.00,
+90.00; Saturday Lunch Only 195.00, 390.00, -195.00; Bounce Houses 130.00,
0, +130.00; Fun Day Tickets 2,885.00, 3,560.00, -675.00; Auction 2,141.00,
1,188.00, +953.00; Fun Day Donations 50.00, 225.00, -175.00; Total Revenue
7,210.25, 7,090.00, +120.25.  Total Expenses 3,028.15, 2,597.12, +431.03;
Net Proceeds 4,182.10, 4,492.88, -310.78.

              We have an announcement from Linda Dizzley, President of our
Lee County chapter.  "Candy Fundraiser:  As you may be aware, I am able to
make chocolate candies in two (2) different sizes (business card size and a
large bar size) with the NFB Logo on them.  I am also able to make,
chocolate covered pretzels in different colors or a combination of colors
and praying hands lollipop or a pretzel, as well as bite size chocolate
packets without the logo on but it does say Thank You.  The bars come in
crispy crunch, almond and a cookie crunch. As Blind Awareness Month
approaches, during the month of October, this would be a great time to
promote the National Federation of the Blind as well as raise money for your
chapter/division or give away to show your appreciation. If you would like
to place an order for chocolate bars, please give me a call.  We ask that
all orders be placed at least seven (7) days in advance in order for
processing and to get it delivered to you in time for our event.

If you would like an order sheet made up for your chapter or if you have any
questions or for further information, please don't hesitate to give me a
call at (803) 459-4585."

              On Saturday, September 16, Shelley and I along with our staff
of volunteers will be traveling to Rocky Bottom to make final preparations
for the Fall edition of Senior Camp which will be held from September 17-21.
Shelley and I enjoy directing Senior Camp a great deal and we always look
forward spending time at Rocky Bottom with these individuals.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I'm sure that most of you remember what you were doing and
where you were when the World Trade Center buildings were attacked on
September 11, 2001.  I was in the Baptist Hospital in Columbia recovering
from back surgery on that unforgettable day.  Our daughter Beth had come to
Columbia to assist us and told the nurse's aide not to tell me about the
Trade Center "bombing" but she would do that.  The nurse's aide disobeyed
Beth and told me about the bombing before Beth had an opportunity to do so.
The nurse's aide would not forget the tongue lashing Beth gave her.  Our son
Craig was living and working in New York City when the bombing occurred.  He
worked about 25 blocks away from the bombing.  He recalls how frightened
everyone was including himself when the first bombing occurred.  But the
second bombing which occurred about two and one-half hours later was
absolutely terrifying.  Craig remembers that as soon as the second attack
occurred he immediately stated that this was the beginning of the war on
terror.  Normally Craig rode the subway to work but there was no
transportation available so he walked the 25 blocks (or two and one-half
miles) to his apartment.  Betty and I were very concerned and for several
hours we had no word from Craig.  Finally there was phone service and he
called us about 2:00 p.m. assuring us that he was all right.  Craig recalls
many people who frantically searched for their loved ones who were lost.
Craig stated that many had the option of jumping from the top of the Trade
Center or sustaining fatal burns or injuries.  He said that he will never
forget the terrible incident that involved hundreds jumping to their deaths
with bodies lining the streets below.  Several held hands as they jumped
from the tower.  For some time Craig said there was a terrible smell in the
atmosphere.  Firemen and policemen lost their lives trying to assist those
who were hopelessly trapped inside the building.  There were a lot of brave
people in this tragic event.  Let's hope and pray we never again experience
such a tragedy.  Let's never forget 9-11-01 as most of us feel the country
will never be the same.

Final Thought:  Following any great loss it is good to take stock of things,
count your blessings and have faith and courage to re-establish your life's
goals again.