[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1687

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 12 14:11:53 UTC 2018

December 12, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              On Saturday, December8, I traveled to Hartsville, SC for the
purpose of revitalizing the Darlington County chapter of the NFB of SC.  I
am very pleased to announce, Garrett Mosely, NFB of SC state board member
from the sixth district and one of our assistive technology instructors at
the Federation Center was elected president of the chapter.  Although the
turnout was small because of the inclement weather, I feel certain under the
leadership of President Mosley, the chapter will grow significantly and
represent the blind well in Darlington County.

              The spirit of the holiday season is very apparent throughout
the NFB of SC as many chapters are holding their Christmas parties during
this month.  On Friday evening, December 7, NFB of SC state Treasurer,
Valerie Warrington and her husband Larry represented the state organization
as they attended the Anderson Chapter Christmas party.  Valerie reported
there were approximately thirteen people in attendance and she was very
pleased to spend time with Jenny Smith, who along with her late husband
Jimmie Smith founded the Anderson Chapter approximately forty-five  years
ago.  On Saturday, December 8, David Houck, Director of the Federation
Center and his wife Darleen represented the NFB of SC as they attended the
Spartanburg chapter Christmas party.  David reported the Spartanburg Chapter
meeting was attended by 18 members.  Milton Tant, chapter president could
not be there because of the cold and rain; however, he did speak to the
chapter by telephone during the meeting.

              Last evening, December 11, Shelley and I had the pleasure of
attending the 45th Annual Christmas Banquet Gala hosted by the Sumter
Chapter.  Approximately 400 people attended this year's banquet and Debra
Canty, President of the Sumter chapter again did an excellent job presiding
over the festivities.  As usual, the program for the evening was extremely
impressive.  It was great to see NFB of SC leaders Loretta Green, President
of the Upper Dorchester County chapter and her husband Henry, Linda Dizzly,
President of the Lee County chapter, and Jennifer Bazer, Director of the
Successful Transition Program at the gala as well.  Also, last evening, Ed
Bible and his wife Julie represented the NFB of SC as they attended the
Laurens County chapter Christmas party.  Ed stated there were 50 individuals
in attendance which included members of the Laurens Lions Club and officials
from the City of Laurens.  He further stated the gathering was entertained
by a blue grass band and Helen McNuer did an excellent job presiding over
the meeting

              I am very sad to report Carolyn Bagwell, a charter member of
our Laurens Chapter, passed away this past weekend.  I first met Carolyn in
the late 1970's at the Commission for the Blind where she was receiving
training at the Ellen Beach Mack Rehabilitation Center.  Since that time,
whenever I would see Carolyn, whether it was at the state convention or at
one of the Laurens chapter meetings, she would always give me a hug.  All of
us in our federation family need to keep the Bagwell family and the Laurens
Chapter in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Christmas is just around the corner.  Actually there are only
two weeks remaining from today, December 11 until Christmas.  I believe that
Christmas brings out the very best in everyone.  It is a beautiful season.
The NFB of SC and its affiliates participate in the Christmas season which
is consistent with the spiritual purpose of the federation.  Federation
Christmas parties are in full swing.  I am sure some chapter is holding
Christmas this very evening.  The Christmas Board Retreat at Ro0cky Bottom
is regarded as the beginning of the Christmas season.  I remember that my
first federation Christmas experience occurred in 1953.  I attended the
Columbia meeting at that particular time.  I've seen so many federation
successes in the NFB of SC.  We don't generally think of the NFB of SC as
affiliates owning and operating seven different facilities including five at
Rocky Bottom consisting of the Osterneck Cottage, Oglesby Cottage, the Dr.
Samuel Miller Lawton Memorial Hall, the Ellenburg Lodge and the Conference
Center.  Throw in an Olympic sized swimming pool and you have quite a
complex.  The sixth NFB of SC facility is the Robert R. Bell Federation
Center of the Blind in Laurens.  Last, but not least, the Federation Center
of the Blind in Columbia was dedicated on October 15, 1961.  These fine
facilities are not for sale but they certainly add a great deal to the NFB
of SC programs.  The first Christmas I remember occurred in my hometown of
Mullins in 1933 when I was five years old.  We lived in a large two story
plantation facility where we operated a tobacco farm.  After opening the
doors that 1933 Christmas morning, my sister Loretta who was 23 months older
than I, walked around the side of the house and we decided we had located
Santa's footsteps where he had entered the house.  No one could have
questioned this major decision.  Both our children, Craig and Beth really
enjoyed Christmas.  In 1958 Craig received an electric railroad track and
train as well as a piccolo.  Both of these items are still in excellent
shape and in storage in our current residence.  Craig does not want anyone
to disturb the railroad and piccolo.  Beth loved her dolls.  This year let's
try to make it the best Christmas ever in the federation.

Final Thought:  Christmas is the time to think of giving to others as we see
the joy in them because of your thoughtfulness.