[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1688

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 19 13:30:54 UTC 2018

December 19, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              These past few days have been extremely sad in the NFB of SC
as two of our members in our Federation family have gone to be with our
heavenly Father.  On Saturday evening, December 15, Padgett McKenzie, a long
time federation member, passed away after being seriously ill for the past
three weeks.  Padgett was president of the Columbia chapter when Gail, my
first wife, and I became members of the NFB of SC In the mid 1970's.
Padgett and Emily loved Rocky Bottom, attended numerous Senior Camps, and
generally supported the activities of    our affiliate.  Padgett was a
valued colleague, a close friend and he will be greatly missed.  All of us
in our federation family need to keep Padgett's wife, Emily and the rest of
the McKenzie family in our thoughts and prayers.

              On Monday, December 16, Betty Capps, who will always be the
"First Lady" of the NFB of SC, passed away after being in poor health for
several years.  Mrs. Capps devotion and dedication to both Dr. Capps and to
the National Federation of the Blind will always be unparalleled.  Mrs.
Capps love for the NFB not only significantly impacted the lives of the
blind in South Carolina but also the blind nationwide.  Mrs. Capps was a
very special lady and she will be greatly missed by all of us.  Our
federation family needs to keep Dr. Capps, son Craig, and the Capps family
in our thoughts and prayers.

              Thursday, December 13, was a very busy day as Shelley and I
traveled to Pageland, SC where we attended the Chesterfield County Chapter
Christmas luncheon.  Approximately 30 people were in attendance for the
luncheon and it was very evident Nancy Reyes, Chapter President, is doing an
outstanding job.  The chapter treated everyone to a delicious lunch and
everyone enjoyed a great deal of fellowship with each other.  It was also
great to see the First Vice President of the NFB of SC, Lenora Robertson and
her daughter, Ellen Taylor.  Thursday evening, Shelley and I had the
pleasure of attending the Columbia Chapter Christmas party.  Close to 100
people were in attendance and everyone enjoyed a delicious cover dish feast.

              By now all of you should have received your Statewide Seminar
Letter.  Please fill out the form at the end of the Statewide Seminar letter
and return it to the State Office as soon as possible.  You can also call
the State Office at (803) 254-3777 and let us know if you are planning to
attend the Statewide Seminar on Saturday, January 5, 2019.  Please notify
the State Office of your intentions in order that we may have an accurate
count for the luncheon which will be free of charge.  For many years, we
have conducted an auction throughout the day of the seminar to raise money
for the Federation Center.  However, this year, all the money raised from
the auction will be given to Rocky Bottom to help to offset the cost of much
needed repairs at our camp.  Be sure to bring items for the auction such as,
cakes, pies, cookies, gift baskets, and electronics.  Also, please continue
to sell your Las Vegas National Convention tickets.  You can either mail
your ticket stubs and money to the Federation Center or bring them with you
to the Seminar on Saturday, January 5.  The drawing will take place at the
conclusion of the Seminar.  The winning ticket will receive $300, the seller
of the winning ticket will receive $100 and the chapter selling the most
tickets will receive $300.

              It is not too early to begin submitting your state dues of $10
for 2019 to the state office.  It is imperative we have accurate contact
information such as your name, address, phone number and email address if
applicable.  This information does change from time to time and if we do not
have updated information, we cannot keep you up to date on what's going on.
Also, our national office is requiring each state affiliate to submit a list
of members and their contact information by January 15, 2019.  The deadline
for NFB of SC state dues is January 31, 2019, so why wait!

              Yesterday morning, Rocky Bottom received a very special
Christmas gift from a longtime friend and member of the NFB of SC, C.A.
Gatlin who gave two significant contributions in memory of his wife,
"Tootsie" Gatlin and his daughter, Tammy.

              The Christmas season is a very beautiful and special time of
the year.  I especially enjoy listening to Christmas music, being with
family and friends, eating wonderful food, and watching our six
grandchildren opening their gifts on Christmas morning.  Shelley and I would
like to take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Merry
Christmas and let's all of us remember the "Reason for the Season".

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Christmas snow is pure, Christmas morning is wonder, and
Christmas togetherness with family is like the manger scene with Mary,
Joseph and the baby Jesus.